Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)

Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)

Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Yes but BonStay makes more sense.
And have the abbreviation be BS?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That's exactly the problem. Leaving it would imply there was no change. After a merger like this, you have to change the name.
Yes I agree the name should be changed to remind us of the loss of SPG and the devaluation of MR points.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Horace
I am amazed how much some folks here despise the name Bonvoy.
Bon means good in French. Voy suggests travel.
Voy could also suggest voyeur.
It would then become Good Peeping Tom. Just not all that ideal of a hotel membership program name.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
My reaction:
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And have the abbreviation be BS?
My bad. BV much better. How about "BonBon Ambassador" status? That sounds not too bad?

Last edited by HHonors OUTSIDER; Nov 25, 2018 at 11:24 am
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:30 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Horace
I am amazed how much some folks here despise the name Bonvoy
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Complainers gonna complain. Whiners gonna whine.
And I'm amazed how some riffing on whether the name sounds clumpy or not is described in terms of 'despise', 'whine' and 'complain'.

How about some more tolerance when other peoples views differ from one's own ?
Seabilly and remymartin like this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
no problem with the new Titanium name, but surprised they didn't just move everything up one and add Bronze to the bottom.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Yes good point thank you. Marriott is not a French company so scratch all new name possibilities with "Bon" in it.
They are going to call it what they want but reality is that the majority of the members are not French speakers and English is spoken by more people than French so doesn’t make sense for Marriott imho. I get the voy because it can be a abbreviation for voyage and millennials shorten everything. I just had a conversation with someone that works with a ton of millennials and he said he has a hard time understanding them at times since they shorten everything when speaking.

https://thoughtcatalog.com/january-n...lennial-slang/
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by CALMSP
no problem with the new Titanium name, but surprised they didn't just move everything up one and add Bronze to the bottom.
Wow excellent suggestion. If they would of done that back in August Gold would of remained Gold instead of the new Platinum and prevented a lot of confusion. I wonder if Lifetime Platinum Premier will become Lifetime Titanium or there will be no LT Titanium??
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Just for fun! Please don’t get mad at me if there are terms in the links below that offend some.

bon = https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=BON
voy = https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=voy
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:26 pm

Metals
Maybe instead of intrinsic value they went with hardness or strength (Titanium > Platinum > Gold > Silver).

Bonvoy
I just watched a documentary about wine Labels and they said at this point, in order to get a trademark / website / etc that isn't already used you are reduced to using made up words or very obscure words in order to get an unused name.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Bonvoy = to bonk the envoy?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Yes, Bonvoy sounds stupid...

...but that is not why I dislike it. I expect that over time we'll grow used to the new name and it will sound less jarring.

My issue with Bonvoy is that I don't think it conveys meaning in the best way for Marriott. That's their choice and nothing for me to be outraged about, but I do think it is an error.

Neither Marriott Rewards or Starwood Preferred Guest were sexy names, but they did send a clear message about what they were. MR was a REWARDS program. SPG was about special treatment for PREFERRED guests. While not flashy or catchy these names communicated the value of the program to potential members.

Bonvoy makes no promise of rewards or preferential treatment (is Marriott trying to lower our expectations?). It conjures up images of (mostly recreational) travel, which is odd given that the bulk of Marriott's high level elite members are business travelers. It's a "word" that might be useful in encouraging people to book with Marriott to have "good travels," but not one that speaks to the benefits of loyalty. Additionally, given that frequent business travelers may be less excited about travel than are leisure travelers, Marriott may be failing to emphasize its greatest strength -- its predictability. Business travelers are not looking for adventure; we're looking for a home away from home. We want comfort and reliability. If Marriott is going to use the name of its loyalty program to convey something about staying at Marriott properties, I think they would be better off choosing/creating a word/name with connotations that are attractive to their most lucrative and frequent guests.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:41 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by CALMSP
I think the addition of Bronze would make perfect sense...and yet would have created massive confusion for everyone who was Silver and now is Bronze, for everyone who was Gold and now is Silver, for everyone who was Platinum and now is Gold, and everyone who was Plat Premier and now is Platinum. Too many shifts. It sounds good, but it would have been a disaster with most people not paying attention and mistakenly believing they’d been downgraded.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lexdevil
...but that is not why I dislike it. I expect that over time we'll grow used to the new name and it will sound less jarring.

My issue with Bonvoy is that I don't think it conveys meaning in the best way for Marriott. That's their choice and nothing for me to be outraged about, but I do think it is an error.

Neither Marriott Rewards or Starwood Preferred Guest were sexy names, but they did send a clear message about what they were. MR was a REWARDS program. SPG was about special treatment for PREFERRED guests. While not flashy or catchy these names communicated the value of the program to potential members.

Bonvoy makes no promise of rewards or preferential treatment (is Marriott trying to lower our expectations?). It conjures up images of (mostly recreational) travel, which is odd given that the bulk of Marriott's high level elite members are business travelers. It's a "word" that might be useful in encouraging people to book with Marriott to have "good travels," but not one that speaks to the benefits of loyalty. Additionally, given that frequent business travelers may be less excited about travel than are leisure travelers, Marriott may be failing to emphasize its greatest strength -- its predictability. Business travelers are not looking for adventure; we're looking for a home away from home. We want comfort and reliability. If Marriott is going to use the name of its loyalty program to convey something about staying at Marriott properties, I think they would be better off choosing/creating a word/name with connotations that are attractive to their most lucrative and frequent guests.
Business trip = voyage d'affaires in French.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.