Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)

Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)

Old Nov 25, 18, 11:06 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
How ridiculous and embarrassing.

I can't stop laughing at the thought of a frequent Ritz-Carlton guest being thanked at check-in for being a Bonvoy member.
margarita girl and 84fiero like this.
Old Nov 25, 18, 11:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Tit, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by jtpc View Post
How ridiculous and embarrassing.

I can't stop laughing at the thought of a frequent Ritz-Carlton guest being thanked at check-in for being a Bonvoy member.
In England youd be punched for much less.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 25, 18, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
I'd certainly consider firing someone in my IT organization that can't manage the authentication/authorization basics of not having our Dev/Test environment exposed to the public.

Are you saying this page/environment never existed, despite the screenshots?
the post about not existing was in response to my original post about firing the IT Managenent. My understanding is that Uncle Dude was joking that Marriott doesnt have any IT management and therefore would be impossible to fire.
Old Nov 25, 18, 11:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Ex, Marriott Bonvoyed Gold, HHonors Gold, DL, CX Marco Polo
The term Bonvoy displays all the creativity and marketing acumen one could expect coming from Marriott. As Bonvoy is one word, is it a noun, a verb, or something I am missing?
Old Nov 25, 18, 11:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
I am amazed how much some folks here despise the name Bonvoy.

Bonvoy seems like an acceptable commercial neologism. Think of other brands like Avios and Expedia. Such brands usually have Latin roots or other components that suggest meaning, while not being words in the dictionary — but words that can be trademarked, protected, controlled, and are good for online use.

Bon means good in French. Voy suggests travel. And, of course, as others have noted, if you combine Bon Voyage into one word and lop off the final syllable, you get Bonvoy.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 25, 18, 11:58 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Horace View Post

Bonvoy seems like an acceptable commercial neologism. Think of other brands like Avios and Expedia. Such brands usually have Latin roots or other components that suggest meaning, while not being words in the dictionary but words that can be trademarked, protected, controlled, and are good for online use.

Bon means good in French. Voy suggests travel. And, of course, as others have noted, if you combine Bon Voyage into one word and lop off the final syllable, you get Bonvoy.
+1000

Complainers gonna complain. Whiners gonna whine.

The rest of us will focus on the actual details and execution of the integration and less on the labels used.
Old Nov 25, 18, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Because it sounds stupid
Seabilly and remymartin like this.
Old Nov 25, 18, 11:59 am

Programs: A3*G, TK*G, UIA PremEY Silv, CX Silv, Hyatt Diam, , Skyteam Elite+,HH Diam, SPG Plat100, EK Silv
not bad for me. Waiting to see the logo to get a final opinion.
Regarding the new elite level names, it confirms the informations from some GM in the past months, Marriott wants to clarify the difference between the platiniums. Wich is very good.
Im more than happy with that.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 25, 18, 12:00 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Because it sounds stupid
So do the complaints, Im afraid. It goes both ways.
Old Nov 25, 18, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Horace View Post

Bonvoy seems like an acceptable commercial neologism. Think of other brands like Avios and Expedia. Such brands usually have Latin roots or other components that suggest meaning, while not being words in the dictionary but words that can be trademarked, protected, controlled, and are good for online use.

Yes but BonStay makes more sense. I think even BonBon which means candy in French is a small improvement. The Marriott Candy Program. The question is: is it too late? Could we start a "Save Marriott Rewards" from itself thread suggesting a better new name if they insist on changing the program name. What was wrong with "Marriott Rewards"? Its been around 20 years.
Old Nov 25, 18, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Ridiculous name but what else should we expect right now from Marriott. Since it was probably all hands on deck with the wonderful program integration, they likely only had one intern left who came up with the name. As for the explanation that it makes sense because Bon means goood in French, etc, etc,....Marriott is not a French company and it seems totally out of place. If Accor came up with the name it would make more sense to me. As for the elite level classifications, I can live with them.
84fiero likes this.
Old Nov 25, 18, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
the post about not existing was in response to my original post about firing the IT Managenent. My understanding is that Uncle Dude was joking that Marriott doesnt have any IT management and therefore would be impossible to fire.
Yes CPRich not even President Trump can fire a department that doesn't exist.
Old Nov 25, 18, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER View Post
What was wrong with "Marriott Rewards"? Its been around 20 years.
That's exactly the problem. Leaving it would imply there was no change. After a merger like this, you have to change the name.
Horace, damon88, narvik and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 25, 18, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by christianj View Post
Ridiculous name but what else should we expect right now from Marriott. Since it was probably all hands on deck with the wonderful program integration, they likely only had one intern left who came up with the name. As for the explanation that it makes sense because Bon means goood in French, etc, etc,....Marriott is not a French company and it seems totally out of place. If Accor came up with the name it would make more sense to me. As for the elite level classifications, I can live with them.
Yes good point thank you. Marriott is not a French company so scratch all new name possibilities with "Bon" in it.
Old Nov 25, 18, 12:11 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond (C) Hyatt Explorist (M)
I was actually about to post that I was surprised that there were no defenders.

I really do not care about the name. What I care about is Marriott delivering a Rewards program that works.

Separating the Elite Levels is a wonderful first step. Titaniums should be recognized as a tier above Platinum and achieving Ambassador should be something to work for- with tangible benefits.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: