Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)

Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)

Old Nov 24, 18, 7:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum Premier, Starwood Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I donít mind titanium, ignoring itís less valuable than platinum in the actual real world, at least it differentiates it as a separate level. That will make it easier for everyone than the levels of platinum no one ever understood.

But as others have stared, this change will just require more IT work which at this point is like adding gasoline to a tire fire....and some more tires.
KRSW and narvik like this.
Old Nov 24, 18, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
bonvoy sounds stupid but it's tough to come up with a new name where websites and trademarks are available.
To me, it sounds more like the name of an airline's loyalty program than a hotel program. When I think bon voyage I think of jetsetting.

Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
I'll live with the name but the most important thing to me is for the properties to reliably distinguish between the levels! AA agents at airports around the world are never confused by multiple variations of platinum but they have a single employer who trains them in contrast to the network of Marriott franchisees.
To say nothing of the fact that American's upgrades are presumably, to some degree, dictated by computer or at least a clear ranking of the upgrade priority based on applicable program rules.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Nov 24, 18, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Pretzelsandpeanuts View Post
But as others have stared, this change will just require more IT work which at this point is like adding gasoline to a tire fire....and some more tires.
And just when some of the staff at the hotels were getting used to the new elite status levels and what benefits come with what level.
Old Nov 24, 18, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
And just when some of the staff at the hotels were getting used to the new elite status levels and what benefits come with what level.
Likely a very small penetration in that regard, and probably there was little chance many ever would given that their managers and property owners didn't seem too concerned about any of it. This was a problem in need of fixing that almost anyone could see coming from the initial announcement, one seemingly meant as an appeasement to the broadest cross section of membership (unintended consequences).
Old Nov 24, 18, 9:36 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

a premier ranks above an ambassador -- in the correct usage of the words
In this application, Premier would be first among ranks without an earning requirement.
Old Nov 24, 18, 10:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
I suspect there are more people who know a premier ranks above an ambassador -- in the correct usage of the words
"Correct" is context-dependent.

than who knows titanium is less valuable than platinum.
Value is also context-dependent. For example, the SR-71 could never have been built out of platinum, making titanium more valuable in that context.
84fiero likes this.
Old Nov 24, 18, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Marriottís Platinum, Gold, and Silver labels follow a very obvious and common sense ranking of metals. Marriottís Ambassador label is also straightforward even if it doesnít follow the metal liturgy.

Titanium being higher than Platinum is a bit odd for those who actually know metal values, but it wasnít like there was an obvious well known metal thatís actually more valuable than Platinum. But at least almost everyone has heard of Titanium. (I donít think Rhodium is the answer even if itís actually more valuable than Platinum. )
errrr... Are you familiar with metal values? Gold is worth more than silver, platinum and paladium so I wouldn't say the ranking is obvious at least to anyone who knows about precious metal values.

As for ambassador status, I hope they stick to the terms and award ambassador level to those who they deem worthy of it who may not have met all requirements. Maybe similar to how they awarded plat. Premier in years past or better yet, maybe they will have a new unpublished status.
Old Nov 24, 18, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dayone View Post
Hopefully, Titanium is just a placeholder. My suggestion is Gold> Platinum> Premier> Ambassador.
Much too rational for Marriott. I bet Titanium stays.

I am just pleased they didn't go with: Livermorium> Rutherfordium> Tungstanium> Einsteinium
Old Nov 24, 18, 11:16 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by swintec View Post
errrr... Are you familiar with metal values? Gold is worth more than silver, platinum and paladium so I wouldn't say the ranking is obvious at least to anyone who knows about precious metal values.
Oh dear.

Everyone knows that Plat > Gold > Silver due to historical valuations that make that almost always true—but still not always. That gold is currently valued more than platinum is hilariously unrelated to the names or presumed values of elite tiers or the scarcity of precious metals—and has a lot more to do with other types of ignorance and economic uncertainty going on throughout the world. The number of people worldwide who know that or what Palladium is wouldn’t even fill a Trump inaugural ball.

I doubt you criticized Marriott or Starwood for the Platinum > Gold > Silver elite tiers before the integration. So there’s no reason to do so now.
Old Nov 24, 18, 11:38 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Gold, Hertz President's Circle
OMG - this is among the most ridiculous names ever.

It does nothing aspirational for me...

My 4000th post!!
Old Nov 24, 18, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
I doubt you criticized Marriott or Starwood for the Platinum > Gold > Silver elite tiers before the integration. So thereís no reason to do so now.
i didn't, because I don't really care about elite tier names. I was criticizing your rationale for why they are what they are.

In the last 46 years gold still ends up being the safer play between the two. https://www.kitco.com/commentaries/2017-02-07/The-46-Year-Record-of-Platinum-Gold-Ratios.html
cawhite likes this.
Old Nov 25, 18, 12:15 am
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Hah, I'm not quite sure here if the complaint is just that the name is weird and ridiculous, or "But how will all those regular non-elite people know how important I am with if the tier is named Titanium?!"

Although maybe they'll give out a physical card made out of titanium if you hit that level?

(At any rate, I do hope this makes it easier for FDAs to distinguish between different tiers)
Old Nov 25, 18, 3:41 am

What a <removed> name. The people at marriott needs sacking!

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Nov 25, 18 at 6:36 am Reason: Remove prejudicial terminology
Old Nov 25, 18, 5:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I know that voyage in French means a trip in general, but in USA dialect usage, bon voyage is what one says to someone embarking on a cruise (and not a hotel stay).
hockeyinsider likes this.
Old Nov 25, 18, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
We probably would have ended up making fun of Marriott had they just picked MPG, but at least it would have been 1) a nice nod to the SPG legacy and 2) put a bit more focus on the "guest" part, and not just on the rewards component.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: