Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)

Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)

Old Nov 24, 18, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
"Bonvoy" is clearly a portmanteau of "bon voyage" but does it translate into other languages?

I think it's a good thing that the statuses will have distinct names after all they are distinct status levels. The heretofore naming convention of platinum, platinum premier, and platinum premier ambassador was confusing for customers, hotels and even corporate management. It was made even more complicated by the fact that some Marriott-branded credit cards are called "premier." So, under the present system, someone could be a platinum with a premier credit card but not a platinum premier.

Titanium is kind of ridiculous. I'm guessing they didn't change it to platinum, premier and ambassador because in many parts of the world an ambassador would rank below a "premier," which is an alternative name for prime minister.
KRSW likes this.
Old Nov 24, 18, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I did not think it was possible to pick worse branding than "World of Hyatt" and its "Globalist," "Explorist," etc. nonsense.

Apparently I was wrong.
Old Nov 24, 18, 3:36 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond (C) Hyatt Explorist (M)

I think it may be real.

There was a failed startup with this name a few years ago:
Introducing people to the exhilaration of wilderness adventure is Bonvoy Adventure Travel’s prime objective. But now there’s one more reason for guests to be excited about traveling with this innovative company.

Bonvoy Adventure Travel in 2014 is asking clients to decide what they’re willing to pay for their journey into the wild. This is the first and only travel company offering Flex Pricingthat lets travelers name their own prices on select domestic trips. With more control over travel costs, Sean Jackson, founder and CEO, hopes people can find wiggle room in their budgets for much needed getaways this year.

It also appears that Marriott grabbed marriottbonvoy.com back in April
Old Nov 24, 18, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by damon88 View Post

It also appears that Marriott grabbed marriottbonvoy.com back in April
Which might explain why they didn't launch the name in August. Perhaps there were issues with trademarks not just in the United States, but other countries. Then there's all the collateral that has to be ordered, including elite desk signage and even carpeting.
Old Nov 24, 18, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Marriott has registered it in the European Union too:

https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#bas...100+100/bonvoy

Old Nov 24, 18, 3:48 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I did not think it was possible to pick worse branding than "World of Hyatt" and its "Globalist," "Explorist," etc. nonsense.

Apparently I was wrong.
Ah, not quite. Hyatt still wins for having the most inane labels of all time. Hyatt’s labels are truly horrible and have no grounding with any reality or common sense.

Marriott’s Platinum, Gold, and Silver labels follow a very obvious and common sense ranking of metals. Marriott’s Ambassador label is also straightforward even if it doesn’t follow the metal liturgy.

Titanium being higher than Platinum is a bit odd for those who actually know metal values, but it wasn’t like there was an obvious well known metal that’s actually more valuable than Platinum. But at least almost everyone has heard of Titanium. (I don’t think Rhodium is the answer even if it’s actually more valuable than Platinum. )

I’m not quite sure why people are throwing their hands up over these relatively straightforward new labels for Marriott. It’s a massive improvement over Plat, Plat Premier, and Plat Premier with Ambassador.
X-ON, damon88, KRSW and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 24, 18, 3:50 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond (C) Hyatt Explorist (M)
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
"Bonvoy" is clearly a portmanteau of "bon voyage" but does it translate into other languages?

I think it's a good thing that the statuses will have distinct names after all they are distinct status levels. The heretofore naming convention of platinum, platinum premier, and platinum premier ambassador was confusing for customers, hotels and even corporate management. It was made even more complicated by the fact that some Marriott-branded credit cards are called "premier." So, under the present system, someone could be a platinum with a premier credit card but not a platinum premier.

Titanium is kind of ridiculous. I'm guessing they didn't change it to platinum, premier and ambassador because in many parts of the world an ambassador would rank below a "premier," which is an alternative name for prime minister.

You are probably right about the premier/ambassador reasoning, although I am thrilled they didn't try to use premier. I think it would continue the confusion. I have no problem with Titanium-- I like that they are coming up with something new.

- and to be honest, although I don't like Bonvoy, for me it doesn't really matter what they call it if the program delivers.
C17PSGR, CCIE_Flyer and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 24, 18, 4:03 pm
Suspended

It looks like Marriott filed a Canadian trademark application in June for "bonvoy."
Canadian Trademarks Details 1905617 - Canadian Trademarks Database - Intellectual property and copyright - Canadian Intellectual Property Office - Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada

All of the external legal counsels in multiple jurisdictions filing trademark applications can't be inexpensive. So, I think it's safe to say the new loyalty program name is Bonvoy, as this would be an expensive decoy.
Old Nov 24, 18, 4:06 pm

The worst program name still goes to EVA’s Mileage Infinitylands.
Antarius and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 24, 18, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
I’m not quite sure why people are throwing their hands up over these relatively straightforward new labels for Marriott.
Perhaps because "Bonvoy" is pretty much the lamest loyalty program name imaginable? And because "Titanium" is something you make golf clubs with.
Originally Posted by myperks View Post
The worst program name still goes to the EVA’s Mileage Infinitylands.
Can we put that to a vote? I see an FT poll in the future
KRSW likes this.
Old Nov 24, 18, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Perhaps because "Bonvoy" is pretty much the lamest loyalty program name imaginable? And because "Titanium" is something you make golf clubs with.
Nuance of the metals aside, I prefer Titanium to Platinum Premier. It's less confusing for everyone vs having two levels of Platinum.

Hopefully AA gets the hint as they have three levels of Platinum (Platinum, Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum) with Platinum Pro just sounding gawdawful.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 24, 18, 4:24 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

People are throwing their hands up over nonsense then. These complaints absolutely qualify as the “noise on the fringe” to which Sorenson was referring. There is almost no impact here to the program name or labels, but people are complaining anyway. Whiners gonna whine.

While they are complaining about the Bonvoy program name, I’ll be more interested in Marriott getting the IT right. That actually matters and has impact. They can call it Oz or Wakanda for all I care as long as my elite status and benefits are better delineated for me to enjoy.

While they are complaining about the Titanium label, I’ll be thankful that 75 nights has an actual and recognized status name that’s obviously distinct from and receives higher priority than Platinum. That actually matters and has impact. I’ll let you and everyone else worry about the commodities pricing and/or how much it reminds you of your golf game.

I’m very happy that what I’ve always called Ambassador status is finally legitimized publicly as the actual status tier I’ve always known it was. It’s not just about having an Ambassador; it’s also about having Ambassador status. Marriott learned a lesson from the rare elite recognition SPG mistake. That actually matters and has impact.
sdsearch and SeeTheLights like this.
Old Nov 24, 18, 4:37 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
(In the near future...)

Front Desk: How can I help you?

Me: Hi, I'm DELee, Stainless Steel member.

David
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 24, 18, 4:40 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by DELee View Post
(In the near future...)

Front Desk: How can I help you?

Me: Hi, I'm DELee, Stainless Steel member.

David
I’ll always think of you as Nickel at the very least.
Old Nov 24, 18, 4:50 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Hopefully, Titanium is just a placeholder. My suggestion is Gold> Platinum> Premier> Ambassador.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: