Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:36 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
This may well be true, but have you seen this evidenced anywhere? If you read the new Marriott terms, you will note the standard/ select suite pool language from SPG does not feature. Where SPG terms were generally specific, Marriott appears to have replaced them with more generic ones which could be good, could be bad or could just be poor drafting (e.g. continental breakfasts replaced with breakfast).
I’ve seen it evidenced throughout years of stays with both legacy SPG and still again with Marriott since August 18. SPG terms weren’t so specific either. Intention is as important as language, but some choose to accept otherwise.

Many people seem to be literalist/originalist in their reading of the terms and conditions. They are most entitled to be so, though it’s quite unfortunate that they should suffer so needlessly. I leave them to their own self-created martyrdom.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:48 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Of course my years of SPG experience (and SPG terms) would agree with you.

In the new combined programme though, the plural of anecdote is not data. Each of us can only have had 20-30 stays by definition (i’m barely above 10) and we’ve all reported vastly different outcomes - generous speciality suite upgrades, executive rooms listed in SNA’s, properties saying they don’t do any suite upgrades, etc.

Let me put it a different way: if nobody on properties has been told to implement a policy around standard suites (we’ve seen the guide they’ve been issued) and nobody in corporate is mandating a policy based around standard suites, then can we really say there is one? I still think realistically that best case is that you’re right and that this comes later in clarification, training and amendments to the T&C’s, but I don’t see how it’s possible to state something not specified nor being consistently applied is the way things work.
rny321 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Marriott’s reservations system has worked well enough for me since my first post-Aug 18 stay over Labor Day weekend. The website, while having had a few issues earlier on, has more or less been quite functional for me, as well. I realize that isn’t true for all members in all cases, of course, but I also recognize that this been the largest integration between hotel companies in history. For all the noise, I know all too well that this is still nothing compared to the nightmare integrations for UA-CO and AA-US.

Marriott customer service was never known for being as good as that for SPG, and that was just as true before the merger as afterward and before the Aug 18 integration as afterward.

For eveyone complaining that Ambassdor service is overrated, my Ambassdor has made the transition pretty painless for me and most fellow Ambassdor guests.

Also, I don’t stay at Marriott Bonvoy or Rewards just as I never stayed at SPG; I only stay in hotels. That was just as true before the Aug 18 integration as it has been since.
I agree with all of this.

I was lucky with the transition. My last stay was early August, then I did not travel until October. So I missed the worst part of the transition, that was dumb luck.

I had a bit of trouble combining my Marriott and SPG accounts, but just a bit and when I got it done everything was there and correct. I have not had any trouble with my reservations or stays. That included reservations at both brands made before the integration.

I was a Marriott Lifetime Platinum. I imagine I will be a Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium? I could not care less about the name of the program or the names of the tiers. What was leaked does strike me as pretty fair for each level.

I don't travel nearly to the degree many of you do, I generally stay around 40-60 nights per year, I was able to qualify for Platinum for many years on the back of the Marriott Rewards Visa card, which gave me 15 extra night's credit every year, plus more nights for my spend. I got to lifetime purely because I have been doing this for a long time.

For the me transition has been relatively painless. I understand that the issues have been real and serious. But the people who are responsible for the name and benefits of the program are surely NOT the same people who are responsible for the integration and the functionality of the site and the customer service issues. I wish people would start seeing that and focus on the real problems. The name of the program is surely not one of those real problems.
bhrubin and JBord like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
previously, at full service legacy Marriott properties, there was a blue screen showing guest information including a line of several codes beginning with the two-letter code for the person's status and followed by other things such as type of bed, connecting room, etc.

tonight, I was greeted as having Ambassador status for the first time in many stays. I asked her how she knew that and she showed me the screen which had been reorganized. The screen contain my personal information and a separate line stating: M0 Ambassador.

this is different than the previous display which would show x4 followed by a number of codes with M0 in the middle of those codes.

while many of us are grumbling regarding Marriott's IT, this is a rather obvious improvement. It also seems like it is on the path of better distinguishing the different levels. I suspect there is a lot going on that may not be immediately obvious to guests.

It looked nothing like the screen above with graphical displays. It was just a blue screen with characters. I would almost certainly opt out of anything that looked like the display above as that's not information I necessarily want available at the front desk. At first glance, it looks cool but the privacy issues are concerning. I don't really want the front desk having my picture or knowing my future stays.
FWIW I checked into a Marriott last night and this property is still using the blue screen/character based interface (I'm tall and the agent's screen was angled upwards).

Also, IME FD agents have had access to future stay information for quite some time. Several years ago I was quizzed on upcoming stay info by a FD agent when I inadvertently left my room key and ID in the room.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by MW147
I understand that the issues have been real and serious. But the people who are responsible for the name and benefits of the program are surely NOT the same people who are responsible for the integration and the functionality of the site and the customer service issues. I wish people would start seeing that and focus on the real problems. The name of the program is surely not one of those real problems.
Yes, the actual people-in-the-trenches wasting money by thinking up ridiculous names are different from the people in IT who can't seem to run a website in 2018, BUT there's one common thing: leadership. Throughout this process, leadership has been lacking. Those at the top of Marriott corp are ultimately the ones to blame. From the interviews, it sounds almost like an Eddie Lampert / Iraqi Information Minister approach -- Everything's fine, nothing's wrong! I think most of us would be much more understanding if Marriott's leadership was open and honest about the current situation. As it stands now, it seems like they truly think everything's fine, which makes me wonder if they're being fed a line of bullmanure from the various departments or if they really do know just how screwed up things are.

I see a lot of comparisons to previous airline mergers, BUT I can assure you that an airline is a much different animal. FAR more moving parts & resources, along with tighter time slots to deal with. Marriott corporate doesn't have to worry about the location of resources (airplanes, ground equipment), aircraft maintenance, nor crew scheduling/duty periods/logistics or even logistics of customers & cargo. They're simply providing a reservations system with 1-day timeslots of fixed assets. The logistics/resources parts are left in the hands of the local hotels to deal with.
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KRSW

I see a lot of comparisons to previous airline mergers, BUT I can assure you that an airline is a much different animal. FAR more moving parts & resources, along with tighter time slots to deal with. Marriott corporate doesn't have to worry about the location of resources (airplanes, ground equipment), aircraft maintenance, nor crew scheduling/duty periods/logistics or even logistics of customers & cargo. They're simply providing a reservations system with 1-day timeslots of fixed assets. The logistics/resources parts are left in the hands of the local hotels to deal with.
Of course it's different, but it's still a fair comparison. It shows that the problems people are experiencing with this merger don't affect them nearly the same way as an airline merger. Most of the gripes about Marriott are with the loyalty program, which doesn't impact your experience at a property. There are some other issues, apparently affecting a small percentage of people, with the reservation system, which simply means if you have a problem you book a different hotel and go about your life.

When I think back to the UA-CO merger, there were lost reservations, even after credit cards were charged. Refunds were taking months. Seats were being randomly changed, causing families to be separated, and people like me to be moved from an exit row to a middle seat in the last row. Mechanical issues were abundant and flights were delayed or cancelled at an all-time high rate. There were literally dozens of operational issues that affected people every day. There were issues with the loyalty program too, but those were minor compared to issues that affected people's lives in real-time like when they got to the gate with a boarding pass and were told they weren't booked on the flight.

Hotel operations are much simpler, to be sure. But the problems Marriott is having are not affecting most people, and are minor inconveniences to others. I recall one person that was HORRIFIED he had to book a room on the website rather than the app.

Marriott needs to fix it's problems, and I understand the concern that they may not truly understand them or have a plan to fix them. That's different than considering these things to be urgent issues as UA had during their merger. When all is said and done, there's no way these problems are affecting people's lives in the same way airline mergers have.

The one point you make that I agree with is leadership is at fault. There's a lack of communication and acknowledgement of the issues they have, even if it's affecting only a small population. That was exactly the same with UA, although they communicated every system issue as an "enhancement", and stayed with that line until they fixed the problem, which then became another enhancement.
Antarius and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JBord
Hotel operations are much simpler, to be sure. But the problems Marriott is having are not affecting most people, and are minor inconveniences to others. I recall one person that was HORRIFIED he had to book a room on the website rather than the app.

Marriott needs to fix it's problems, and I understand the concern that they may not truly understand them or have a plan to fix them. That's different than considering these things to be urgent issues as UA had during their merger. When all is said and done, there's no way these problems are affecting people's lives in the same way airline mergers have.

The one point you make that I agree with is leadership is at fault. There's a lack of communication and acknowledgement of the issues they have, even if it's affecting only a small population. That was exactly the same with UA, although they communicated every system issue as an "enhancement", and stayed with that line until they fixed the problem, which then became another enhancement.
Agreed. A lot of the drama and hoopla after Aug 18th were irrelevant things like Lifetime night balances. Not critical at all.

That said, Arne seems to be banging the "everything is awesome" drum, which is at best, tone-deaf and at worst, demonstrably out of touch with reality.
KRSW and JBord like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:23 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
Agreed. A lot of the drama and hoopla after Aug 18th were irrelevant things like Lifetime night balances. Not critical at all.

That said, Arne seems to be banging the "everything is awesome" drum, which is at best, tone-deaf and at worst, demonstrably out of touch with reality.
I think Arne is reviewing the overall performance numbers which, based on Q3 results compared with the competition, turn out to be pretty darn good. And still much better than those from Hilton, Accor, IHG, and Hyatt. Even with these supposedly horrendous IT problems. Turns out Arne’s comments may not be as tone-deaf or out of touch as many presume.

Everything may not be awesome. But everything may be a lot better than the fringe noise suggests.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I think Arne is reviewing the overall performance numbers which, based on Q3 results compared with the competition, turn out to be pretty darn good. And still much better than those from Hilton, Accor, IHG, and Hyatt. Even with these supposedly horrendous IT problems. Turns out Arne’s comments may not be as tone-deaf or out of touch as many presume.

Everything may not be awesome. But everything may be a lot better than the fringe noise suggests.
They may be now. But as we saw with UA-CO, a lot of High Value customers left. Arne is sounding a lot like Smisek right now, sacrificing long term gain for... honestly, not sure what.

All I am saying is, it doesn't cost Marriott a lot of money, time or effort to keep people informed. And that leads to happier customers.
EuropeanPete, KRSW and remymartin like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifer, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by christianj
Ridiculous name but what else should we expect right now from Marriott. Since it was probably all hands on deck with the wonderful program integration, they likely only had one intern left who came up with the name. As for the explanation that it makes sense because Bon means goood in French, etc, etc,....Marriott is not a French company and it seems totally out of place. If Accor came up with the name it would make more sense to me. As for the elite level classifications, I can live with them.
That's branding 101 - Twisting or making up foreign language words into a name that is able to be trademarked. Haagen Daz is a classic example...

As far as the tier classification, anything to get rid of that confusing platinum lineup they have now. Don't know why they just didn't stick with the classic lineup that both Marriott & SPG had - Silver, Gold, Platinum and just add Ambassador for that top tier. Sometimes these marketing geniuses think too much but of course stodgy old cookie cutter Marriott doesn't seem to have the most creative brains in their corporate marketing department (Starwood was far more creative with their marketing and properties IMO)....
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.

I’ve seen it evidenced throughout years of stays with both legacy SPG and still again with Marriott since August 18. SPG terms weren’t so specific either. Intention is as important as language, but some choose to accept otherwise.

Many people seem to be literalist/originalist in their reading of the terms and conditions. They are most entitled to be so, though it’s quite unfortunate that they should suffer so needlessly. I leave them to their own self-created martyrdom.

It's perfectly understandable that the very top tier of a hotel's guests are more interested in the upper limits of recognition and not the lower limits of status benefits. Others who spend or stay less, but still qualify for suite upgrades, might feel differently about a more explicit upgrade policy. It's not that the rest of us don't appreciate upgrades to specialty suites. It's just that we realize that we are more likely to hear the no standard suite upgrade than others who MPG believes are more valuable. Since MR's APAC policy only excluded the most costly suites, I felt that I was unlikely to be denied some form of suite when staying at one of the covered hotels. As I said before, I wish the policy had been expanded to cover the rest of the world.
C17PSGR likes this.

Last edited by rny321; Nov 29, 2018 at 3:55 pm
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Of course my years of SPG experience (and SPG terms) would agree with you.

In the new combined programme though, the plural of anecdote is not data. Each of us can only have had 20-30 stays by definition (i’m barely above 10) and we’ve all reported vastly different outcomes - generous speciality suite upgrades, executive rooms listed in SNA’s, properties saying they don’t do any suite upgrades, etc.

Let me put it a different way: if nobody on properties has been told to implement a policy around standard suites (we’ve seen the guide they’ve been issued) and nobody in corporate is mandating a policy based around standard suites, then can we really say there is one? I still think realistically that best case is that you’re right and that this comes later in clarification, training and amendments to the T&C’s, but I don’t see how it’s possible to state something not specified nor being consistently applied is the way things work.
The issue in both legacy brands is consistency. I stayed in three Renns this month. (1) greeted me as an ambassador and offered their largest suite (it had queens so I didn't take it), (2) one greeted me as lifetime platinum and offered by a choice between the suite or a top floor with a runway view, (3) on greeted me as plat premier and said they don't upgrade to suites.

Based on the experience of others posting on FT and my own frustration with the website/app for making reservations, I expected to see problems with those performance numbers. They just weren't there. Plus, the 10Q/calls with the operators who run different brands and don't have any incentive to spin weren't seeing problems either. So Arne's comments see to be based on reality notwithstanding the experiences some are reporting on FT.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Sorry, but I view the T&C as a contract, just like airline CoCs are a contract (of adhesion). It's even more so if Marriott insists that properties aren't allowed to go above and beyond or exceed brand standards, both of which have been reported.
EuropeanPete and KRSW like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Is this thread still about the possibility of Marriott re-naming their loyalty program "Bonvoy" or is this now just the new, new, "airing of grievances" thread? (I wasn't aware we had a shortage of those )

Regards
Newman likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This would mean telling SPG Plat50s that they've been demoted to Gold. It's still the same 50 night level, but calling it Plat avoids that (including IIRC for the remaining PlatMinus people this year for the last time). It's far easier and less likely to cause an uproar if no one's "metal" is decreased, even if it's just a matter of perception/labeling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.