Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)

Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)

Old Nov 26, 18, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
A good sign of a hotel taking its guests seriously is one where they give you the key with the number (ideally on a separate card) but never actually say the room number out loud.
It's funny you say that. The only time ive ever had that happen was 3 weeks ago at a courtyard (i know i know, moment of weakness) off the florida turnpike. FDA handed us the keys and said "im not going to say your room out loud for security reasons but its written on the back". It caused us both to pause for a second. Are we at a super 8 or a courtyard? Course, the female FDA then came around, shook my hand and then hugged my girlfriend and kissed her on the cheek. I suppose that's an invasion of something.
Old Nov 26, 18, 5:45 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Tit/ LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold
Iíd guess heís either recently read a policy, took a course on hotel management or had been working somewhere a bit less Courtyardy beforehand.
Old Nov 26, 18, 6:18 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl., Accor-Plat., Former FPC-Plat.
Using initials, instead of last names, would be a way of acknowledging status and showing Gold members why they didn't get the suite upgrade they hoped for. If someone doesn't know why a guest's information should be kept private, perhaps the owners of the Nashville Marriott could explain it to them.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 26, 18, 6:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
Competent hotels donít do that either. British Airways has a habit of leaving passenger manifests lying around, but iím not sure they count as competent nowadays either.

A good sign of a hotel taking its guests seriously is one where they give you the key with the number (ideally on a separate card) but never actually say the room number out loud.
I believe it is essentially hotel malpractice to speak a room number which comes from lawsuits where someone hears a room number and follows a guest. iIt's standard practice at all major hotel chains.

And ... on a slightly different topic, I left something in a hotel room and was unhappy that they didn't call me. The GM explained to me that they didn't call guests about lost and found items since some guests might be sensitive to someone knowing about their stay ....
MSPeconomist and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 26, 18, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
I believe it is essentially hotel malpractice to speak a room number which comes from lawsuits where someone hears a room number and follows a guest. iIt's standard practice at all major hotel chains.

And ... on a slightly different topic, I left something in a hotel room and was unhappy that they didn't call me. The GM explained to me that they didn't call guests about lost and found items since some guests might be sensitive to someone knowing about their stay ....
Up until a couple years ago, it was somewhat common practice for a front desk to verbally say your room number. After a couple high-profile lawsuits by female guests who had their privacy invaded this has stopped. I don't remember the last time a front desk verbally said my number. I've even said something like, "511, right. That's my room?" And they reply only by pointing at the keycard slip with the number and then stating which direction the elevators are located.

The biggest liability isn't front desks disclosing room numbers; it's the in-house restaurant or bar.

I can't tell you how many waitresses or bartenders within hearing distance of other people has said my room number. I've had several fraudulent bar charges because someone just signed my room number and name, presumably after hearing the waitress or bartender. Two weeks ago, I had over 200 British pounds charged to my room from the lobby bar at the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House in London. When I asked for a copy of the receipts the printed name wasn't even legible and the signature was nothing like mine.

I'm convinced at many properties you could literally scribble "511" and "Smith" and get away with free drinks or takeaway food, if you left quickly enough.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 26, 18, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
I'm convinced at many properties you could literally scribble "511" and "Smith" and get away with free drinks or takeaway food, if you left quickly enough.
Yes, number, scribble and BonVoy off you go
Old Nov 26, 18, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond (Aspire)
I do think BonVoy is a silly name - but I do appreciate it's hard to come up with good names - and it's not outright offensive... So can't say I really care. And I am rather Titanium than Refugeist or something like that - even thought that name would possibly be more appropriate based on how Marriott treats us.

Anyhow - if they fixed their IT issues - I couldn't care less what they call all this

Last edited by flying_geek; Nov 26, 18 at 8:04 pm
Old Nov 26, 18, 7:48 pm

Lounge Access appears to be missing from all levels.
Old Nov 26, 18, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Bonvoy? Seriously? it sounds like something a hyped-up bubble brain millenial might scream at her friends after dropping them at the airport, as in "OMG!! Have a great trip! I love you! Bonvoy!"

OMG!! barf
Old Nov 26, 18, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
How about Marriott start enforcing the breakfast benefit? Casa Monica, Autograph Collection in St. Augustine, Florida, refuses to provide more than an English muffin and jam for breakfast.
tfong007 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 18, 8:19 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I did not think it was possible to pick worse branding than "World of Hyatt" and its "Globalist," "Explorist," etc. nonsense.

Apparently I was wrong.
They just need the cheesy welcome video background music and $2 logo design.
Old Nov 26, 18, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post

Thanks for sharing!

I can appreciate that some enjoy knowing that the hotel recognizes their elite status. But I would be quite unhappy at the violation of my privacy for no good reason by posting such a list.

Hypocrite. You just reposted the list.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 26, 18, 8:45 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
But.. why? Does it provide any benefit whatsoever? I just don't get it.
Over the years, I've been "Guest of Day" at several different hotels. The rewards varied and included bonus points, extra market items and even a gift card.
Old Nov 26, 18, 8:51 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
Many things had been done for decades—that no longer are as accepted and aren’t done now.
And many things that have been done for decades continue to be both accepted and effective.

Most people would be fine with such a practice. If you don't like a hotel's recognition, let them know and or vote with your feet.
Old Nov 26, 18, 9:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by BeantownDisneyFan View Post
Lounge Access appears to be missing from all levels.
The chart shows Lounge Access at three Elite levels:

— PLATINUM ELITE - 50-74 nights/year
— TITANIUM ELITE - 75-99 nights/year
— AMBASSADOR ELITE - 100+ nights/year and $20K in annual qualifying spend

That's the same as the current Rewards-SPG combined loyalty program, except that two Elite levels have new names.

I would assume the participating hotel brands will be the same too, along with which brands have alternatives if the lounge is closed or there isn't one.
bhrubin likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: