FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1942015-marriott-bonvoy-potential-new-program-leak.html)

agurg Nov 26, 2018 11:39 am

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...16823751ec.jpg

It seems at least some properties do know the difference between all platinum levels.

bhrubin Nov 26, 2018 11:51 am

Originally Posted by agurg (Post 30468327)

It seems at least some properties do know the difference between all platinum levels.

Thanks for sharing!

I can appreciate that some enjoy knowing that the hotel recognizes their elite status. But I would be quite unhappy at the violation of my privacy for no good reason by posting such a list.

I realize car rental companies might list me due to my status, but that is for a genuine purpose to allow me to more quickly get my rental car. This list has no purpose other than to prove the hotel knows one is elite.

hockeyinsider Nov 26, 2018 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by agurg (Post 30468327)

A for effort, but "platinum" is spelled wrong with respect to ambassador status.

Platinum premier means nothing if everyone is platinum premier. I can't believe there are more platinum premier guests at a Fairfield property than gold or silver. Wow.

damon88 Nov 26, 2018 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 30468669)
A for effort, but "platinum" is spelled wrong with respect to ambassador status.

Platinum premier means nothing if everyone is platinum premier. I can't believe there are more platinum premier guests at a Fairfield property than gold or silver. Wow.

Haha. Those were my takeaways too.

RE: the privacy issue- that was my initial reaction as well but then I thought about Hertz Gold, and the airline upgrade board. Although at a hotel it does somehow seem more intrusive.

I do find it reassuring though that a hotel is differentiating the different elite tiers. At SPG Legacy properties I’m pretty sure the FD only knows a Platinum is a Platinum. (Though I believe Room Control and Management understand the difference)

It will be interesting to see how the new levels are recognized in 2019.

ethernal Nov 26, 2018 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 30468383)

Thanks for sharing!

I can appreciate that some enjoy knowing that the hotel recognizes their elite status. But I would be quite unhappy at the violation of my privacy for no good reason by posting such a list.

I realize car rental companies might list me due to my status, but that is for a genuine purpose to allow me to more quickly get my rental car. This list has no purpose other than to prove the hotel knows one is elite.

Agreed, I saw this the first time I stayed at a Courtyard. I told them I was a little uncomfortable with my name appearing on the list (even as just initial and last name). I appreciate the effort, but even ignoring the personal privacy aspect this could be highly sensitive for some industries (e.g., IB/M&A consultants doing pre-announcement due diligence) in places with only a few large companies - especially since the whole team often stays at the same hotel and would likely have elite status.

ethernal Nov 26, 2018 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by damon88 (Post 30468723)

RE: the privacy issue- that was my initial reaction as well but then I thought about Hertz Gold, and the airline upgrade board. Although at a hotel it does somehow seem more intrusive.

The airline upgrade board is okay because it's hard to identify someone with super abbreviated names (three letters for last name, one for first). The Gold board is a bigger issue but I think it is less sensitive for two reasons - number one because it's for a purpose, and secondly because those are almost always at big airports with lots of people. At a hotel you both persist and it can be more identifying (in some places a hotel may be used by almost one employer/client for example as it is out in the boonies somewhere) - knowing the hotel someone is at is much more informative than knowing someone was at a certain airport

hockeyinsider Nov 26, 2018 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by damon88 (Post 30468723)

I do find it reassuring though that a hotel is differentiating the different elite tiers. At SPG Legacy properties I’m pretty sure the FD only knows a Platinum is a Platinum. (Though I believe Room Control and Management understand the difference)

It will be interesting to see how the new levels are recognized in 2019.

I've seen this sort of primitive recognition before at legacy Marriott limited-service properties, such as Fairfield or Courtyard, but it's mostly been limited to IHG's Holiday Inn properties. I find it cheap, personally.

SkiAdcock Nov 26, 2018 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by X-ON (Post 30466843)
I having a naive question, when launching a new loyalty program why not create a interface which actually shows the actual name of tier, first time guest etc ... instead of cryptic codes

FWIW - I think the cryptic codes get printed out on the FDC's daily report, so while it's cryptic on the screen, if they're looking at the paperwork some of it like Platinum member, requests roll-away, don't display tax & folio, high floor gets printed out, so they may not have to memorize them all, or just a few. But if it's the codes on the screen & they're not familiar with them, they have to click on each individual code & then F1 to look up what the code means. On at least one of the MAR property systems, Member, Silver, Gold, Plat, Plat Premier written out appears in upper right corner of screen, which is why some FDC will greet by proper status if they look at the upper right of the screen. Obviously not all do.

I've participated in focus groups for airlines and hotels before. They usually have lousy ideas & the focus group gets to choose which of the lousy ones is the best :p :D

Cheers.

damon88 Nov 26, 2018 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 30468823)
I've seen this sort of primitive recognition before at legacy Marriott limited-service properties, such as Fairfield or Courtyard, but it's mostly been limited to IHG's Holiday Inn properties. I find it cheap, personally.

I agree

It is not something I would like to see adopted

dayone Nov 26, 2018 2:53 pm

Individual hotels, primarily limited-service brands, have been doing some form of this (e.g., "Guest of the Day") for decades.

ethernal Nov 26, 2018 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 30469116)
Individual hotels, primarily limited-service brands, have been doing some form of this (e.g., "Guest of the Day") for decades.

But.. why? Does it provide any benefit whatsoever? I just don't get it.

bhrubin Nov 26, 2018 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 30469116)

I’m sure they have. That’s one of a plethora of reasons for why they aren’t considered as good in terms of individualized service as full service hotels. It’s a bulk meausure for brands that deal in bulk.

Many things had been done for decades—that no longer are as accepted and aren’t done now.

Marriott used to have consistency but not individuality for most of its history. That worked very well...until the market changed. Now individuality is a requisite element for any good hotel brand. Even Marriott now sees value in more individuality in its brands and offerings. That’s a huge part of why it purchased Starwood. The other part was because of the strong loyalty base that Starwood brings, and that loyalty base wasn’t built from bulk service and recognition measures like this. It had its time...and that time is past. As we all know too well, things change.

rny321 Nov 26, 2018 4:10 pm

Thanks for sharing!

In addition to serving a purpose, the rental car lists are only available briefly and go away once the customer has left the lot. The hotel lists remain at the front desk, which I feel is an invasion of a guest's privacy without any compensating benefit.

In some cases, an individual who wants privacy may have a familiar name but not an easily recognizable face. Once the name is known, it is easier to identify the individual. There are hotels that have DNR ("Do Not Recognize") lists for guests who prefer additional privacy.

swintec Nov 26, 2018 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal (Post 30469166)
But.. why? Does it provide any benefit whatsoever? I just don't get it.

Well, some get up in arms when a FDC says thanks for being platinum instead of plat. premier. This way, DYKWIA's can SEE their names in print and get the recognition they deserve. It is probably just an extension of recognizing status and nothing more.

To say its an invasion of privacy is a bit of hyperbole. What is ACTUALLY a problem is the housekeeping carts laid out across the hotels hallways every morning with full guests list for each assigned floor, including names AND room numbers among other things. i do enjoy stopping to read it to see what the statuses are for other guests during my stay (RI even puts your pets name on the list as well, if you have them traveling with you). Before Plat. premier was diluted it was fun to see if i was the only one in the place. Anyways, if i was going to jump on the invasion of privacy bandwagon that is what i would be focusing on.

EuropeanPete Nov 26, 2018 4:31 pm

Competent hotels don’t do that either. British Airways has a habit of leaving passenger manifests lying around, but i’m not sure they count as competent nowadays either.

A good sign of a hotel taking its guests seriously is one where they give you the key with the number (ideally on a separate card) but never actually say the room number out loud.