Corporate/Set Codes going away?

Old Nov 27, 18, 2:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by born sleepy View Post
Mine went from four digits to the company's stock symbol. Maybe the latter is coincidence.
There must be some gleeful smiles in Marriott's HQ when they see that the 4-digit SET code for their most unfavourite beverage company has been changed to "COK".

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Nov 27, 18 at 2:42 am
Old Nov 27, 18, 5:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by Flapster View Post
I've used my corporate rate all over the world (Europe, Asia, South America). I've never been asked for proof..
Add me to this list as well

Our corporate rate is great in some locations around the US and world and meh in others but the one constant is that I've never been asked for a corporate ID or proof of eligibility
Old Nov 27, 18, 8:39 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Plat/LTG, Hilton Gold, UA Silver, AA Gold
I was asked for proof for the first time ever this week at the Las Vegas Marriott.

I laughed when asked because I was so taken aback that I've stopped carrying my company ID. Thankfully between my business card and showing her my email signature she was willing to accept it (why those two things were enough since they could be faked is a different story but wasn't going to complain at that point).

She told me it was because our rate was so good this week relative to the publicly available rate that she wanted to make sure that I was legit which is fair but still a first for me anywhere on the globe and not the first time our rate has been much better than publicly available rate
Old Nov 27, 18, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT PPE, Hilton ♢, Hyatt Disc, IHG Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
I was asked for proof for the first time ever this week at the Las Vegas Marriott.

I laughed when asked because I was so taken aback that I've stopped carrying my company ID. Thankfully between my business card and showing her my email signature she was willing to accept it (why those two things were enough since they could be faked is a different story but wasn't going to complain at that point).

She told me it was because our rate was so good this week relative to the publicly available rate that she wanted to make sure that I was legit which is fair but still a first for me anywhere on the globe and not the first time our rate has been much better than publicly available rate
A business card should suffice. Not everyone has hard plastic company IDs. Some are blank for security purposes (so if lost no one can use them to gain entry). Further not everyone travels needs their corp entry security ID if they are solely traveling to a meeting (and not going into a remote office).
Old Nov 27, 18, 10:49 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry View Post
A business card should suffice. Not everyone has hard plastic company IDs. Some are blank for security purposes (so if lost no one can use them to gain entry). Further not everyone travels needs their corp entry security ID if they are solely traveling to a meeting (and not going into a remote office).
If I'm asked (very rare) either a business card or an email from the corporate email has sufficed.
Old Nov 27, 18, 10:56 am

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry View Post
A young seemingly inexperienced front desk clerk at a random CY once asked me for ID. My corp ID was at home. Since I worked remotely and only needed the ID when at the home office a few times a year I never carried it. I pointed out the clerk was holding my corporate cc, which was clearly marked "Corporate Account" and "Brand X." The FDC would not accept the cc and pushed for a business card, which I dug out of the bag. Anyone can print a business card claiming to work for any company, but it is much harder to get a corporate cc, but the FDC had no clue.
Old Nov 27, 18, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by CJKatl View Post
A young seemingly inexperienced front desk clerk at a random CY once asked me for ID. My corp ID was at home. Since I worked remotely and only needed the ID when at the home office a few times a year I never carried it. I pointed out the clerk was holding my corporate cc, which was clearly marked "Corporate Account" and "Brand X." The FDC would not accept the cc and pushed for a business card, which I dug out of the bag. Anyone can print a business card claiming to work for any company, but it is much harder to get a corporate cc, but the FDC had no clue.
I've had this argument before with my corporate security (I'm in office less than one week a year, and they just wanted me to get loaner badges when I was there from front desk) and they pointed out that anyone could print out a badge with a face, name, and the company's logo (available in SVG format in Google).

I pointed out that some FDC clerks at hotels were picky.

The printed me a new corporate iD.

Most clerks are pretty reasonable but I always carry business cards for that reason.
Old Nov 27, 18, 11:40 am

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
Originally Posted by phltraveler View Post
I've had this argument before with my corporate security (I'm in office less than one week a year, and they just wanted me to get loaner badges when I was there from front desk) and they pointed out that anyone could print out a badge with a face, name, and the company's logo (available in SVG format in Google).

I pointed out that some FDC clerks at hotels were picky.

The printed me a new corporate iD.

Most clerks are pretty reasonable but I always carry business cards for that reason.
Actually when the company moved to a new building we went to a system where remote employees like me needed to ask for temp badges. At first they wanted us to send the old useless badges back to HQ, but enough people pointed out the badges were useful for hotels, Kinkos (at the time) and Office Depot that we were told to keep them.

If all else fails, each of my bags has a business card in the luggage tag.