Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

ELEMENT HOTELS, alleged new brand standard: old fashioned oatmeal replaced with insta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ELEMENT HOTELS, alleged new brand standard: old fashioned oatmeal replaced with insta

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

ELEMENT HOTELS: alleged new brand standard: old fashioned oatmeal replaced with insta

Word has it that the Epicurean Geniuses at ELEMENT HOTELS, in keeping with their alleged commitment to "healthy eating," have opted, as a new BRAND STANDARD, to replace old fashioned oatmeal (cooked each morning), with packets of instant oatmeal. I’d expect instant oatmeal at economy brand hotels, such as Econo Lodge, Motel Six, Days Inn, and the like, but, not at Element (by Westin).

I now wonder if the ELEMENT HOTEL'S alleged commitment to the environment, nature, and "healthy eating" is genuine, or rhetoric and marketing hype.

SEE: https://element-hotels.marriott.com/experience/

FYI, because instant oatmeal has been PROCESSED to cook more quickly, it is also broken down and digested more quickly by your body, giving it a higher glycemic index.

ELEMENTS HOTELS were once one of my favorite Starwood brands.​​​​​​

If other Marriott Hotel brands, like full service Marriott and Sheraton hotels, similarly switch to instant oatmeal, in their lounges, or Residence Inn switches to instant oatmeal, I'll take that to mean that Marriott is striving for new lows.

Last edited by H3A3H3; Nov 28, 2018 at 6:18 pm
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
It wouldn't be a surprise, if only because other limited-service brands typically have sugary instant oatmeal.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Confirmed today: New "Element Hotel" BRAND STANDARD is instant oatmeal packets, and if a hotel dares to serve old fashioned oatmeal, they get dinged by a clipboard-wielding "Brand Police (person)" during a hotel's inspection.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by H3A3H3; Nov 28, 2018 at 6:19 pm
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:48 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The Marriottisation of F&B continues. Soon even lunch will be wrapped in plastic and able to last 8 years in the sun without going off.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by BeantownDisneyFan
Confirmed today: New "Element Hotel" BRAND STANDARD is instant oatmeal packets, and if a hotel dares to serve old fashioned oatmeal, they get dinged by a clipboard-wielding "Brand Police (person)" during a hotel's inspection.

How much do you want to bet that the "Brand Police (person)" is a thirty-something year old, with no experience as a hotel general manager, or in customer relationship marketing, nor a graduate of a respectable hotel and hospitality management program, from a respectable university, who is taking direction from someone equally ill informed and ill prepared to perform such duties.
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The Marriottisation of F&B continues. Soon even lunch will be wrapped in plastic and able to last 8 years in the sun without going off.
They may have to "at the minimum" serve instant oatmeal but I can't imagine corporate would stop them from exceeding the minimum, as there are plenty of examples of limited-service branded properties that exceed brand minimums.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
They may have to "at the minimum" serve instant oatmeal but I can't imagine corporate would stop them from exceeding the minimum, as there are plenty of examples of limited-service branded properties that exceed brand minimums.
I agree with you, that would be logical, BUT, the General Manager of an Element Hotel made it precisely clear to me that on a recent visit by the ELEMENT HOTEL "Brand Police," that she was told, under no uncertain terms, that the old fashioned oatmeal was to go, and that it must be replaced by the brand-compliant packets of instant oatmeal. Kudos to Element Hotels for joining the ranks of Econo Lodge, Motel Six, Days Inn, and the like.

I really do wonder if the ELEMENT HOTEL'S alleged commitment to the environment, nature, and "healthy eating" is genuine, or rhetoric and marketing hype.

A sad commentary, in my opinion, that Element Hotels have been McMariottized.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by H3A3H3; Nov 28, 2018 at 2:04 pm
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:56 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I think it depends on the flag. Sometimes (a recent example is Hilton mandating that all lounges in the UK downgrade to a certain set level for F&B) they really don't want individual properties to go above and beyond because it creates expectations that can't be met by other properties sticking with the minimum brand standard.

And if nothing else, Marriott has always been known for its consistency.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
ruin it all, Marriott. You are very good at that.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:27 pm

I’ve learned two new words today from this thread - Marriottization and McMarriottized. Very apt too! ^
MSPeconomist and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Instant Oatmeal seems to dwarf today's news of 500 million Starwood guests potentially having had their identity stolen or compromised.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Word has it that the Epicurean Geniuses at ELEMENT HOTELS, in keeping with their alleged commitment to "healthy eating," have opted, as a new BRAND STANDARD, to replace old fashioned oatmeal (cooked each morning), with packets of instant oatmeal. I’d expect instant oatmeal at economy brand hotels, such as Econo Lodge, Motel Six, Days Inn, and the like, but, not at Element (by Westin).

I now wonder if the ELEMENT HOTEL'S alleged commitment to the environment, nature, and "healthy eating" is genuine, or rhetoric and marketing hype.

FYI, because instant oatmeal has been PROCESSED to cook more quickly, it is also broken down and digested more quickly by your body, giving it a higher glycemic index.

If other Marriott Hotel brands, like full service Marriott and Sheraton hotels, similarly switch to instant oatmeal, in their lounges, or Residence Inn switches to instant oatmeal, I'll take that to mean that Marriott is striving for new lows.
Most mornings I eat breakfast around 8am and in most cases the prepared oatmeal has not been properly cared for; so by 8am it is more like wallpaper spackle and not actually edible oatmeal. In those cases I would take the packets of instant over spackle.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by estedman
Most mornings I eat breakfast around 8am and in most cases the prepared oatmeal has not been properly cared for; so by 8am it is more like wallpaper spackle and not actually edible oatmeal. In those cases I would take the packets of instant over spackle.
That to me is a sign of an Absentee Landlord (and total lack of leadership) in a hotel's food and beverage department. If Starwood and Marriott do not have staff with the wherewithal to know how to maintain fresh oatmeal, that is a truly negative reflection on Starwood and Marriott. I'm sorry, if Element Hotels don't know how to maintain fresh oatmeal, and they have to resort to instant oatmeal, due to their own failures, then Element Hotels should buy a big box of Bandaids to cover all of their wounds, and aim for getting to the heart of their service failures and irregularities.

One of the last places that I'd expect to consistently find fresh oatmeal is in the Delta Sky Clubs, but Delta knows how to do that. Imagine an airline has figured that out, but a hotel company hasn't?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
That to me is a sign of an Absentee Landlord (and total lack of leadership) in a hotel's food and beverage department. If Starwood and Marriott do not have staff with the wherewithal to know how to maintain fresh oatmeal, that is a truly negative reflection on Starwood and Marriott. I'm sorry, if Element Hotels don't know how to maintain fresh oatmeal, and they have to resort to instant oatmeal, due to their own failures, then Element Hotels should buy a big box of Bandaids to cover all of their wounds, and aim for getting to the heart of their service failures and irregularities.
This is why I never stay at Element hotels. I'd much rather stay at a Ritz Carlton and pay $18 for fresh steel cut oats with a spoonful of brown sugar and a handful of blueberries.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: HH Diamond

Maybe it's more environmental because they had to throw out a lot of the previous oatmeal and now, with packets, there is no waste.

Maybe they were wasting tons of oatmeal a year as many people eschew it for more non-gruel like options, so they decided to switch to packets for those who still wanted oatmeal.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond

One of the last places that I'd expect to consistently find fresh oatmeal is in the Delta Sky Clubs, but Delta knows how to do that. Imagine an airline has figured that out, but a hotel company hasn't?
I agree 100% about maintaining the oatmeal at Marriotts. I will disagree a bit on the Delta oatmeal, the turnover is probably 10 fold every morning at a Skyclub whereas I would guess they don't go through a tub of it at a Marriott so it does not have a chance to turn to spackle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.