FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Peak and off peak Awards (General Discussion) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1941831-peak-off-peak-awards-general-discussion.html)

Jared Ito Nov 22, 2018 7:33 pm

Peak and off peak Awards (General Discussion)

I believe that off peak and peak levels for many , most or all of the hotels some time in December. Two questions:

1. Is it likely that marriot will allow bookings at the peak free level for at least a few days after they announce the new award levels?

2. Can I book a few nights on points at current levels, and add free night certificates later? There are at least a couple of certificates that I am either due or anticipate receiving soon, which work at current levels and won’t work at peak levels.

Also , I have some 7 night certificates from the old travel packages. Travel is planned far in advance, but I might have to change the plans later due to serious personal or family health situations. If I have an additional points booking at the number of points for peak free , I would hope that I could move the certificate from the travel package from one reservation to the other.

thank you

CPRich Nov 22, 2018 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jared Ito (Post 30457732)
1. Is it likely that marriot will allow bookings at the peak free level for at least a few days after they announce the new award levels?

Can you clarify? You want to book at the peak level before peak rates are in effect? I'd suggest booking at current rates before peak rates make it more expensive.

Originally Posted by Jared Ito (Post 30457732)
2. Can I book a few nights on points at current levels, and add free night certificates later? There are at least a couple of certificates that I am either due or anticipate receiving soon, which work at current levels and won’t work at peak levels.

You can book at the rates that are valid with the certificate. I doubt you can book a rate that's not valid just because you've booked other nights.

craigthemif Nov 22, 2018 8:42 pm

Travel Packages are category-based, so should work on peak dates as well with no additional charge.

For other certificates that are points-based, you can book those now, but changes in 2019 should be subject to the rules applying then.

Jared Ito Nov 22, 2018 8:53 pm

Very helpful thank you.

Doesn’t seem to be the most complicated thing out there, but I may have a follow up question later

shawneve Dec 2, 2018 11:08 am

Peak/OffPeak Rates - no info until in effect?

My understanding is that the Peak Off-Peak chart comes into effect in the new year, with Standard rates in effect until then.
Does anyone know if they will actually release information on the actual new rates BEFORE (at least a little) they are in full effect?
Seems silly to have to book speculative reservations in case the property is Peak during your stay.
Wonder if they will even release a 'set' chart for a property or will it be dynamic - eg a period may start off-peak, and then they get above a certain occupancy and then they start charging peak rates.
You would hope that Marriott enforces a minimum amount of off-peak days for properties to adhere to.

theplayer Dec 14, 2018 2:42 pm

Off peak booking

If I book now for a hotel that is decreasing in points in 2019(off peak), will I get refunded the point difference? I assume I will have to call in, or perhaps just cancel and rebook in Jan?
I want to get it booked now just in case it fills.

flyou10 Jan 23, 2019 9:15 am

New “Peak / Off Peak” Rewards?

I’m sure I know the answer, but I haven’t officially heard anywhere.

Is Marriott going to limit each hotel to a set number of “peak” nights per year. Such as you can only have 150 nights a year be peak. Or for every “peak” night you must have an “off peak” night in a calendar year.

I would be be amazed of they do. I just don’t see what will keep a hotel from me 100% peak all year.

MD/DC Flyer Jan 23, 2019 10:34 am

As far as I understand it - it would be based on averages over the last 2-3 years and will be done centrally. It will not be really up to the hotel to decide.

hnewman Jan 23, 2019 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer (Post 30691002)
As far as I understand it - it would be based on averages over the last 2-3 years and will be done centrally. It will not be really up to the hotel to decide.

Any ideas what happens for a hotel that has been under renovation for 3 years? We hear the Marriott Curacao is going to reopen this year.

craigthemif Jan 23, 2019 3:45 pm

I have little doubt that "off-peak" will only apply to nights that were already so cheap that you probably would have paid cash anyhow...

And since Marriott has long been so fond of "category creep" devaluations, peak pricing is simply another way of accomplishing this.

dcstudent Jan 23, 2019 3:57 pm

I just hope they only add Peak/Off Peak in March, and don't also increase categories on a large number of hotels as a double devaluation.

I totally expect most hotels in major cities/major resort areas to have at least a 3rd of the year as "Peak"

rylan Jan 23, 2019 4:50 pm

I'd only expect this to lead to points devaluation as mentioned. Basically, anyplace you want to go at a time you want to go will end up being peak, and they'll have off peak at areas like the the northern plains during the winter or Sept in Caribbean for hurricanes because nobody wants to go there then.

Strickymartin Feb 19, 2019 3:43 pm

Marriott peak

Hello, new here. Any definite date on when peak/off peak rates are coming? Thanks.

CLEguy Feb 19, 2019 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Strickymartin (Post 30798857)
Hello, new here. Any definite date on when peak/off peak rates are coming? Thanks.

Welcome to Flyertalk! New award rates kick in March 5, but the date for peak and off-peak pricing to take effect is still unknown.

SkiAdcock Feb 19, 2019 8:27 pm

Heard a rumor late Q2/early Q3, but no idea if it's true.

Cheers.

Dr.Leo Feb 21, 2019 12:42 pm

I thought the Peak and Off Peak prices arent going in effect until 5th march but i already see peak and off peak prices in vegas

Marriott15 Feb 21, 2019 10:57 pm

I'm sure they want to get the peak pricing up as quick as possible before the summer months.

theplayer Mar 6, 2019 6:33 am

When will we see off peak/peak changes?

Kicking myself as the hotel I was watching for a trip went from cat 5 to 6 yesterday. Trip is to Lisbon next Feb, so I'm hoping this might be off peak and drop to 40K points instead of the current 50K.
Any word on when they will announce this?

SkiAdcock Mar 6, 2019 10:00 am

There's no definitive word. Rumor late Q2/early Q3.

Cheers.

rylan Mar 7, 2019 6:28 am

Knowing Marriott IT, they are having problems running the data through their punch card mainframes to analyze when to make areas peak vs off peak... so they're just going to not have any off-peak and have a mass devaluation again.

exploreaswego Mar 19, 2019 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 30854851)
There's no definitive word. Rumor late Q2/early Q3.

Cheers.

I'm guessing Q3 as well, they definitely want to game this before the holidays. This devalue is like the final nail to the coffin for this program..

SkiAdcock Mar 19, 2019 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by bluestrudels (Post 30907193)
I'm guessing Q3 as well, they definitely want to game this before the holidays. This devalue is like the final nail to the coffin for this program..

I agree re: Q3, but doubt the latter. Was it a nail in Hilton's program (which MAR is following)?

Cheers.

HIFlya Mar 28, 2019 1:07 pm

I wonder if this might be the thread to do it, but it would be cool for DPs on when people are getting some off-peak pricing points. I thought I found an off-peak period in February 2020 at the Residence Inn Anaheim Resort/Garden Grove as the main search results page says it is offering rooms at 25,000/night as a category 5. But when you click through, suddenly the rate is actually 35,000/night. I guess I got Bonvoyed!

But it would be interesting to see if there ever are any off-peak award periods that show up on the award calendar.

Marriott Bonvoy Lurker Mar 28, 2019 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by HIFlya (Post 30940030)
I wonder if this might be the thread to do it, but it would be cool for DPs on when people are getting some off-peak pricing points. I thought I found an off-peak period in February 2020 at the Residence Inn Anaheim Resort/Garden Grove as the main search results page says it is offering rooms at 25,000/night as a category 5. But when you click through, suddenly the rate is actually 35,000/night. I guess I got Bonvoyed!

But it would be interesting to see if there ever are any off-peak award periods that show up on the award calendar.

Just a reminder that off-peak awards are not in effect at this point in time. But, we appreciate your having pointed out this discrepancy so we can pass it along to the web assist team. Since the standard redemption for Category 5 is now 35,000 points, it is the landing page that is out of sync.

HIFlya Mar 28, 2019 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker (Post 30940167)
Just a reminder that off-peak awards are not in effect at this point in time. But, we appreciate your having pointed out this discrepancy so we can pass it along to the web assist team. Since the standard redemption for Category 5 is now 35,000 points, it is the landing page that is out of sync.

No problem, glad I could help. And thanks for the reminder that the off-peak awards are not in effect yet, when I saw the search results, I was thinking they had gone into effect and I actually found one.

HIFlya Mar 28, 2019 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 30457862)
Travel Packages are category-based, so should work on peak dates as well with no additional charge.

For other certificates that are points-based, you can book those now, but changes in 2019 should be subject to the rules applying then.

Any confirmation on this? This would actually be a negative for me, because I have an Old TP Category 1-5 that will be converted to a New TP Category 1-4. I was hoping that if I can use it during an off-peak period, I could get into one of the properties close to Disneyland that just went up to category 5.

xar Mar 29, 2019 9:58 am

Question on using Free Night Award Cert for "off-peak" rates?

Hi all, the free night cert is good for 40,000 points which seems to be in-between Cat 5 (35,000) and Cat 6 (50,000)
I recalled Marriott announcing Cat 6 off-peak for 40,000 points - any idea is this already in effect or still left to Marriott (IT) to be sorted out?
Thanks.

margarita girl Mar 30, 2019 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by xar (Post 30943016)
Hi all, the free night cert is good for 40,000 points which seems to be in-between Cat 5 (35,000) and Cat 6 (50,000)
I recalled Marriott announcing Cat 6 off-peak for 40,000 points - any idea is this already in effect or still left to Marriott (IT) to be sorted out?
Thanks.

See post #24 .

danno95 Mar 31, 2019 9:59 am

Extra Person Charges on a free night redemption.
I didn't want to start a new thread so I thought I would ask here about extra person charges.
when I looked to book at the Sheraton in Stockholm Sweden for 3 people the extra charges (on a free night redemption) were showing as 5000 SEK which is about $700 Canadian Dollars. I booked it for 2 people so this extra charge wasn't showing on my reservation. When I read the Bonvoy terms and conditions there shouldn't be an extra person charge (up to the room maximum allowed which was 3 people in this case) on a Free Night Redemption. Has anyone experienced an extra person charge when booking a free night stay or should I not worry about it?
The T@C are below saying that extra person charges are exempt on a Free Night Stay.
" 3.2.e. When redeeming Points for an Award Redemption Stay, the Award Redemption Stay includes the cost of a single or double standard room at a Participating Property, room tax/service charge, and extra-person charges, if any."

margarita girl Mar 31, 2019 10:29 am

Originally Posted by danno95 (Post 30949175)
Extra Person Charges on a free night redemption.
I didn't want to start a new thread so I thought I would ask here about extra person charges.
when I looked to book at the Sheraton in Stockholm Sweden for 3 people the extra charges (on a free night redemption) were showing as 5000 SEK which is about $700 Canadian Dollars. I booked it for 2 people so this extra charge wasn't showing on my reservation. When I read the Bonvoy terms and conditions there shouldn't be an extra person charge (up to the room maximum allowed which was 3 people in this case) on a Free Night Redemption. Has anyone experienced an extra person charge when booking a free night stay or should I not worry about it?
The T@C are below saying that extra person charges are exempt on a Free Night Stay.
" 3.2.e. When redeeming Points for an Award Redemption Stay, the Award Redemption Stay includes the cost of a single or double standard room at a Participating Property, room tax/service charge, and extra-person charges, if any."

I believe this has been discussed in other threads. Here's one.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...rriotts-4.html

xar Mar 31, 2019 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 30947794)

See post #24 .

Soon™ I hope!

margarita girl Mar 31, 2019 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by xar (Post 30950854)
Soon™ I hope!

Be careful what you wish for!

rylan Apr 1, 2019 8:34 am

The long it takes them to implement this the better... since it is going to be nothing but additional point inflation and more functionality/IT nightmares.

wanalaugh74 May 14, 2019 6:56 am

When does Peak/Off-Peak Pricing Start

I know they have shifted the categories but has anyone heard if they are sticking to the new pricing for points? TIA

swag Jul 2, 2019 1:33 pm

Has anyone heard anything (even rumors :D ) when this may kick in? And will there be any advance notice?

LAX Jul 8, 2019 1:14 am

I was browsing for award availability & saw that a peak, standard, and off peak chart is available on the Marriott website although there is no mention about when the peak/off-peak levels will kick in. Has anyone else seen this chart? I apologize if this has been discussed in another thread.

LAX

UA-NYC Aug 11, 2019 11:00 am

Peak and off-peak pricing already in effect for hotel cash co-pays if the base level room is not available on points :td:

bhrubin Aug 11, 2019 5:03 pm

For everyone of us who came from SPG, this whole peak and non-peak issue isn't new at all. There always were peak and regular rates for the higher category hotel awards at least (I rarely book awards at lower category hotels). And those peak rates for SPG awards still convert to MORE points than the Bonvoy peal rates will be.

So when they happen...from the SPG perspective, it still isn't a devaluation. Peak rates even for the new Cat 8 of 100K Bonvoy points STILL are less than the peak rate of 35K for SPG top Cat 7-- equivalent to 105K Bonvoy points.

Oops.

Please stop trying to pretend that this is a disaster. Bonvoy elites earn more points per stay at Bonvoy properties than we did under SPG...and the award prices are still lower even with peak rates than they were under SPG.

christianj Aug 15, 2019 5:41 am

Well we know the answer now of when PEAK awards will go into effect....Sept. 14!

https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-...m=BoardingArea

Marriott Bonvoy Lurker Aug 15, 2019 6:12 am

COMING SEPTEMBER 14TH: Off-Peak and Peak Point Redemption Rates

Soon you’ll be able to redeem your points for free nights with the introduction of Off-Peak and Peak rates – adding to the current Standard redemption rates we have today.

Starting September 14, all 7,000+ hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program will offer one of three redemption levels for free nights: Off-Peak, Standard or Peak rates. Our goal with the new award redemption chart is to maintain a fairly even distribution of Off-Peak and Peak rates throughout the year, with the majority of redemption rates remaining the Standard rate that they are today.

You can rest assured that any reservations booked with points made prior to September 14th will reserve the Standard redemption rate. If you need to change that reservation after September 14th, you’ll receive the available redemption rate when you rebook.

Watch this video to learn more.

Things to Know

Off-peak rates start at 5,000 points per night. Just like today, Standard redemption rates start at 7,500 points per night and will be our most common rate. Peak rates are capped at no more than 15,000 points higher than Standard when demand is high. TIP: Use the flexible date finder to identify the best available redemption rate if you have flexibility in travel dates.

Hotel categories aren’t changing. Each hotel will remain in its current category. Explore all 7,000 hotels and their categories here.

Enjoy the same redemption options. Under the new award redemption chart, members can still take advantage of Points Advance, Cash + Points, Travel Packages, PointSavers, Stay for 5 – Pay for 4 and more redemption benefits when booking. With Points Advance, you are reserving your room, but your rate will be subject to change until all required points are earned and is the points are attached to your reservation.

Find out more about our new award redemption chart.