Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Peak and off peak Awards (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Peak and off peak Awards (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I'm talking about the new limit of 3 active points advance reservations per account that will take effect from September 14
That's still two too many, but it's a step in the right direction.

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Screw those selfish DYKWIA employer-funded travelers who snitched and whined to Marriott to limit our points advance bookings because they think us riff raff travel hackers are stealing their inventory and devaluating their status
What about those of us who pay for 100% of our own travel who can't find award rooms because of the selfish program abusers who make a hundred award bookings with no intention of using any of them?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA Au Marriott Ti Hilton C
This has been a tough year for points devaluation for sure. Between trashing travel packages, category addition, category creep and now this? Ouch.

I was already headed toward free agency when I hit lifetime Ti last year and this makes it that much easier. Mrs. 1120 and I just returned from a couple weeks in Europe. Up til Bonvoy, we would have stayed primarily at Marriott properties. This time? €0

It’s not all bad - we’ve expanded both work and vacation lodging choices and it’s been great.

The grass really is greener when you get away from Bonvoy.
christianj and UA-NYC like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by christianj
In NYC this eliminates 50 properties from the 35k free night certificates during PEAK times! If this isn't enough to upset people I don't know what is. We are then left with 13 properties vs the 63 we have today.
Peak times are only Jan 1-Dec 31 so just relax!
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I just rebooked all of next week's business travel to Hyatt. Except for our Cabo timeshare, I cannot think of the last time I stayed someplace not in the Marriott family. Next week, I will be able too.

Marriott just doesn't value loyal guests anymore. I work in corporate sales. My approach is pretty simple. Listen to the client. They will tell you what you need to do to earn their business. Its up to you as to whether or not you'll do it. (Yes there are tons of variables, but in many cases it boils down to that.) When a company tells you they don't want your business, listen to them. I feel like Marriott is screaming that to me.
kgkg, Marykatesmom, Kacee and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RedSun
Now look at Marriott's reward chart.

Wow they are deliberately hosing us on the 35k certs. They will never be usable above Cat 5, but will often only be usable below Cat 5.

Originally Posted by rylan
Off-peak will be the midwest in Jan-Feb.
And Phoenix in July.

SF and NYC will be peak 10 or 11 out of 12 months of the year.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
And of course they're not disclosing how many nights a hotel can label peak or has to label off peak.

I fear (but hope I'm wrong) that in major cities like London, SanFran, NYC, etc...or in places like Hawaii nearly every night of the year could be peak based on the marketing video description of "when the hotel is really busy" as when peak labels apply.
dw likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
This makes me glad I stick with hyatt except for the few rare nights I'm out of their footprint.

For pleasure, I travel fairly equally between locations at their peak times and locations at their off peak times, but for darn sure, I always pay cash at nonpeak times when cash rates are cheap, and always pay points at peak times when cash rates are high.That is the entirety of the beauty of loyalty programs. This change only makes bad redemption opportunities less bad (but still bad) while raising point redemptions all the times when point redemptions have made the most sense. Maybe it matters less to those that earn only on other people's money and always redeem for all personal travel, but for the rest of us this is a pure devaluation.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:59 pm
formerly smoaky

Originally Posted by jn in ca
Dear Marriott, do you know when your membership program is FUBAR? When it is so convoluted that you have to publish Youtube videos to explain it, like you did today.

True, but Marriott has said they are only going to update the peak/off peak nights once a month, so it is not dynamic like Hilton's pricing, which devalues in real time as the cash rate changes.

Although this is spread across all properties so it could turn out to be a huge devaluation, I'm guessing Marriott won't use it that way. If Marriott wants to charge more points for a hotel, they'll simply move the hotel to a higher category. Marriott has not been shy about moving hotels to higher categories.
Why would anyone give them the benefit of the doubt? I assume devaluation at all times with Marriott. This only goes one way really, and the change in pricing here is a great opportunity for them to stiff customers further. Just look at the certs people get for having a Marriott card, which presumably they want people to have. They are making every single one of those people unhappy -- some may not be in the loop like those of us here, but it actually makes it worse when they go to book something that's cat 5 and boom, no dice. That will happen countless times. Great way to make customers loyal.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by dcstudent
And of course they're not disclosing how many nights a hotel can label peak or has to label off peak.

I fear (but hope I'm wrong) that in major cities like London, SanFran, NYC, etc...or in places like Hawaii nearly every night of the year could be peak based on the marketing video description of "when the hotel is really busy" as when peak labels apply.
That will definitely be the case. They said "peak and off-peak will be spread evenly throughout the portfolio." So the TownPlace in Dubuque, IA I am staying in next week will get plenty of off peak time, nearly year-round. Then to compensate, The Laylow in Honolulu will get nearly year-round peak time. Obviously, that is only fair.
dw likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:11 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Worrying about peak is a waste of time. (No one is worrying about standard, and everyone is looking forward to non peak.)

It is what it is. It's still better than the award costs under SPG, no matter how you look at it. So everyone needs to stop bellyaching already. You've known it was coming for over a year.

#dramaqueens
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by bhrubin
It's still better than the award costs under SPG, no matter how you look at it. .

#dramaqueens
Didn't Marriott have blackout dates and when they feel like it, they can double the points require (think that was what they called anytime awards). So how is that better than SPG. Many on this thread would love to go back to SPG any time any day!!!!!
DH and UA-NYC like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:32 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Didn't Marriott have blackout dates and when they feel like it, they can double the points require (think that was what they called anytime awards). So how is that better than SPG. Many on this thread would love to go back to SPG any time any day.
Even with peak, the comparable points required for even Cat 8 hotels is less than SPG awards for Cat 7 hotels at peak.

This whole drama is about people complaint about change...and not realizing the change isn’t that bad from the SPG perspective.

From the Marriott side, it was so bad and with so few good and aspirational options that it’s hard to care.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:38 pm

Well, I hope Marriott publishes the statistics on where the Peak/Off-Peak pricing is going.

What's to stop them from just saying "it will be spread evenly across the portfolio," but having that actually be a flat out lie?

7000+ hotels, probably average rooms is 150ish at each location, that's 1,050,000 rooms per night minimum. There is no way a layman could verify that the peak/off-peak is evenly spread.

Are you going to share statistics on where the off-peaks are going? Otherwise, I will just consider this a 100% devaluation, because there is nothing stopping you from just saying "oh, they are available, you just must not have looked hard enough."
Marykatesmom likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:38 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Whatever the point changes regarding peak and off-peak fine. But the problem is the credit card award night. It is fixed at up to 35k or 50k points. the peak/off-peak change skews it to the downside and drops in value. So I do not see the need to carry those Marriott credit cards for the award night.
dw likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:50 pm

Programs: hahaha
Can someone clarify what "portfolio" means in the context of today's announcement?

Does it mean all 7000+ properties, or just the brand grouping (Select, Premium, Luxury, etc.), or the particular brands themselves?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.