Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Peak and off peak Awards (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Peak and off peak Awards (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Not to worry I will HUCA to have my peak reservations adjusted as soon as possible. And even if unsuccessful, I heard about this change of how they adjust PA reservations so I made sure my reservations have a short notice cancellation policy (free cancellation up to 2 days before check-in) so I have all the time to wait to have my points/reservations adjusted
This guy knows what he’s doing. 👍🏼
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by RedSun
Looks like this roll-out is a slow process. If you get points, you can still book almost everything at standard rate now.
No, it just means that the vast majority of dates are standard rates, as one would expect. The trembling fear of the whole world going to peak rates is massively overblown.

Originally Posted by RedSun
For the point adjustment, I think Marriott will only do that at close to stay date.
Or at the time you redeem the points.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
When you book a room with PA it says that you are only holding the room and that the points required may go up or down. It didn’t used to have this condition. So it effectively means PA bookings will no longer be adjusted / corrected if points increase. The only way to lock in standards rates is to deduct the points now.
Yes. As announced by Marriott on August 15, 2019, that's how it is for Points Advance reservations made on or after today (September 14) — but not for reservations made before today.

According to Marriott Bonvoy Lurker at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...ion-rates.html : "You can rest assured that any reservations booked with points made prior to September 14th will reserve the Standard redemption rate. If you need to change that reservation after September 14th, you’ll receive the available redemption rate when you rebook."

Points Advance reservations made before today should be frozen at the Standard rate, unless the member changes the reservation. If the system is properly programmed, then there should be no need to adjust reservations made before today.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:32 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Horace
Yes. As announced by Marriott on August 15, 2019, that's how it is for Points Advance reservations made on or after today (September 14) — but not for reservations made before today.

According to Marriott Bonvoy Lurker at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...ion-rates.html :

"You can rest assured that any reservations booked with points made prior to September 14th will reserve the Standard redemption rate. If you need to change that reservation after September 14th, you’ll receive the available redemption rate when you rebook."

Points Advance reservations made before today should be frozen at the Standard rate, unless the member changes the reservation. If the system is properly programmed, then there should be no need to adjust reservations made before today.
Indeed! As it should be.

Bolding mine. Note that the Lurker is pointing out the intended functionality that the new Marriott IT is supposed to offer for PA bookings made before Sept 14. Of course, we all know that Marriott IT may not have the system properly programmed, so there yet may be errors and glitches.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
No, it just means that the vast majority of dates are standard rates, as one would expect. The trembling fear of the whole world going to peak rates is massively overblown.
I have less faith in Marriott being prepared for their own deadline and expect premium locations to be peak most times as things settle in.
dw likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't forget the upside where properties can be on Off Peak rate which is lower than current rate. And there is even the possibility of Off Peak Point Saver rate where Cat 8 property can be booked for 65K.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, it seems the 2 differences I am seeing on the website are:

1 - stays are priced in total required for the stay (it was showing per night)
2 - filtering (at least by category) is not working anymore

The ones I looked at before the change still price out the same, at least for now.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Has anyone found any hotels already offering Peak and Off-Peak redemptions? Spot-checking a few locations known to have high- and low-demand periods, I still only see Standard — for now.

I saw some PointSavers nights, but, as other have noted in this thread, that's different from Off-Peak.

The new rules are in effect today. And there's now the ability to set Off-Peak, Standard, and Peak redemptions within a category — plus Off-Peak, Standard, and Peak PointSavers redemptions within a category.

I assume we'll see some hotels with Off-Peak and Peak nights before the end of the weekend, but are there any yet?

Last edited by Horace; Sep 14, 2019 at 10:09 am
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:58 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by username
The ones I looked at before the change still price out the same, at least for now.
I’m definitely watching peak months in NYC, SF, Boston and Miami Beach to see where properties end up
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by username
1 - stays are priced in total required for the stay (it was showing per night)
But points per stay is wrong when the fifth night free is included. For five nights in a Cat 4, it shows 125,000 points, not 100,000 points.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by bjdj94
But points per stay is wrong when the fifth night free is included. For five nights in a Cat 4, it shows 125,000 points, not 100,000 points.
Please provide a link to an example.

All the ones I looked at a half hour ago did the math correctly on a 5-night stay. For example, 4 nights at Category 4 Standard (25,000 points per night) were 100,000 points. And 5 nights at Category 6 Standard (50,000 points per night) were 200,000 points.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:41 am

I've tried to book two hotels in Madrid on points and it won't let me. It displays the correct number of points and goes through to the 'Review Reservation Details' page. But the orange countdown timer in the top right-hand-side "Room(s) held for' is missing and both the 'Book Now' boxes are greyed out. Example: HOTEL PALACIO DEL RETIRO, AUTOGRAPH COLLECTION
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Lizie
I've tried to book two hotels in Madrid on points and it won't let me. It displays the correct number of points and goes through to the 'Review Reservation Details' page. But the orange countdown timer in the top right-hand-side "Room(s) held for' is missing and both the 'Book Now' boxes are greyed out. Example: HOTEL PALACIO DEL RETIRO, AUTOGRAPH COLLECTION
Just did a quick check for a reservation March 6-7 and I get the Book Now box and orange timer.
Lizie likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:54 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Lizie
Perhaps clear your cache and log in and out?
Lizie likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Horace
Please provide a link to an example.

All the ones I looked at a half hour ago did the math correctly on a 5-night stay. For example, 4 nights at Category 4 Standard (25,000 points per night) were 100,000 points. And 5 nights at Category 6 Standard (50,000 points per night) were 200,000 points.
I can’t upload a picture, but Marriott’s website is right. Their app is wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.