Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Peak and off peak Awards (General Discussion)

Peak and off peak Awards (General Discussion)

Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Effect of Peak/Non Peak chart on existing reservations

While the other thread(s) are debating the pros and cons of the new award chart, I was looking for what happens to existing reservations made with points and certificates.
I called the guest services line, where the gentleman had to put me on hold for many minutes while he checked.
Bottom line is they say they're grandfathering in any reservation made prior to Sept 14. I wish they would have made this clear when they announced but my guess is they don't want to initiate a bookings rush.
However, if you make any change to the reservation after the 14th, you go by the new chart.

Also, if you book using points and after the 14th and your hotel slots into the Peak time, again you won't have to pay more. But if it falls into Off Peak, my way of thinking is, you can cancel and re-book at the lower rate (compare to today's standard rates). The agent agreed with this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I guess for ex SPGers, the point were getting revalued (can redeem on those highest category ex SPG hotels with less point than SPG era) then got devalued a bit with the introduction of these peak and off peak rate

While ex Marriott, they got their point devalued as previously their Marriott category is quite closely match current categories.

I can guess after 14 September, those popular hotels is big cities will have more peak rate available.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:13 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

This is no point keep bringing up the SPG or the old Marriott any more. They are long gone. We just have to compare different hotel programs and decide what to do the next.
Twickenham and Keyser like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum, WoH Explorist
Originally Posted by pinniped
Not only this, but they've designed the program such that the value is at the high and low ends, with the middle often being the worst value of all.

I'd also suggest that there are a *lot* of Bonvoy Cat 6's now that wouldn't have been worthy of anything above a SPG Cat 3 or maybe a 4 on a good day. There are a lot of rather run-of-the-mill 6's out there now.

Former Starwood 5's and up were nearly always excellent hotels. Occasional dud in a high-cost city but not as many as there are boring/bland Bonvoy 6's.
Agree, I just find it ridiculous how there's so many of very average RI or other limited-service that are Cat 6's. Usually in City/Resort areas.

Seeing those Cat 6 going peak pricing is just insane
KRSW likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: Delta PM
I had been contemplating moving to Hyatt, this just confirms it for me. Bonvoy Marriott.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by BMWMOT
While the other thread(s) are debating the pros and cons of the new award chart, I was looking for what happens to existing reservations made with points and certificates.
I called the guest services line, where the gentleman had to put me on hold for many minutes while he checked.
Bottom line is they say they're grandfathering in any reservation made prior to Sept 14. I wish they would have made this clear when they announced but my guess is they don't want to initiate a bookings rush.
However, if you make any change to the reservation after the 14th, you go by the new chart.

Also, if you book using points and after the 14th and your hotel slots into the Peak time, again you won't have to pay more. But if it falls into Off Peak, my way of thinking is, you can cancel and re-book at the lower rate (compare to today's standard rates). The agent agreed with this.
To be grandfathered in for the existing reservation, do you need to have the certificates issued prior to 9/14? Or I can still wait until a week prior to arrival to redeem the certificates?
also, canceling and rebooking in the event of lower rate after 9/14, I believe the room doesnt always return to award night inventory, right?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:32 pm
kkl

When will these peak dates be released? Before Sept 14th or after
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by pchen0
To be grandfathered in for the existing reservation, do you need to have the certificates issued prior to 9/14? Or I can still wait until a week prior to arrival to redeem the certificates?
also, canceling and rebooking in the event of lower rate after 9/14, I believe the room doesnt always return to award night inventory, right?
with all the other IT issues, I would attach a certificate before 9/14... playing with uncertainty if you are going the points advance route.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:00 am

So many average hotels in an major city in America were made Cat 5's after it was all said and done. Really frustrating that if Marriott deems some time "peak", I won't be able to use my Cat 5 certificate anymore. I get 3 35k and 1 25k cert a year so this feels like a pretty decent hit to their usability. I will strongly consider closing at least one of the Amex cards and opening up a different co-branded card because of this.

For those abandoning Marriott over all the changes entirely, I just wonder where they are going to go. I rarely have a "not bad" experience at a Hilton property and Hyatt while great has a pretty limited footprint if you want to stay outside of a major city or tourist destination. Feels like it's Marriott or Marriott.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Depends on travel patterns - I also heard the "Starwood has such a small footprint!" argument for years, even as I racked up 800 nights over 8 years all over the US/Globe.

If Starwood worked for one, Hyatt likely will too.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:53 am
Suspended

Marriott will just continue to gut its loyalty program and drive away members. It may not see any material changes over the next year or so since we'll just continue to clean up our point account. But in these days, there is no firm blind "loyalty" with any program. People just flee to the program(s) that offer the best value to the members. This is just sad....
christianj likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Honestly, having "blind" loyalty to any company is quite silly.

Company exist to make money.
And customer job is to find the best product for their purposes and money.
If the company no longer provide those to customer, then customer should find other company that suit their interest better.
dw, Keyser, bhrubin and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:37 am
Suspended

Well, it appears to me Marriott is just too big and it is not easy to make any change. And all the changes have not been well thought of and they only make the changes without thinking all the impacts from the changes. Marriott just thinks "I make the change and members will just follow my change". This is just not true.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:23 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Depends on travel patterns - I also heard the "Starwood has such a small footprint!" argument for years, even as I racked up 800 nights over 8 years all over the US/Globe.

If Starwood worked for one, Hyatt likely will too.
Starwood worked very well for me, but I still had to stay at several Marriott properties even as I was Plat100 with Ambassador years. Hyatt was much worse for me even then.

Hyatts smaller footprint now is still even smaller than SPGs was before the merger. Geographically, Hyatt just doesnt cover nearly as much nor have as many luxury to premium options where they even do have coverage. Its an awfully large number of Hyatt House and Hyatt Place properties to make you think their coverage is better than it really is.

If that works for people, then I wish them well. But I know a fairly significant proportion of even Hyatt elites who still have to stay plenty at Marriott or other chains.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:31 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Marriott didn’t make any big changes this week other than to restrict the points advance bookings—which is a good thing for most Marriott elites—and to announce the start of what already had been announced almost 18 months ago with peak and non peak awards.

The minor change to 5th night free awards was an obvious correction necessary for the new peak and non peak award rates.

Characterizing these as big changes when they were announced so long ago seems pretty curious and downright funny to me.

Sorry, but all of this has been considered and discussed—over a year ago. The points advance restrictions are new, indeed...but that isn’t what is causing this stir. There’s another thread to discuss those changes, of course.

The frenzy now about peak and non peak is unnecessary and more about discomfort with change than anything to do with the specific changes.

Some people just cant accept change. Or blow it out of proportion.

The illustrious SPG program that everyone loved and thought was the best in the hotel loyalty market: it had peak and standard awards.

A lot of noise around the fringes, indeed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.