Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Questions about points/nights for multiple rooms [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2019, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Questions about points/nights for multiple rooms [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:01 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
The way the system should work is that both overlapping stays would nullify each other and neither of them would post.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say, but as best I can understand, this does not match my experiences.

Per Marriott Bonvoy's T&Cs, a person can receive points for upto 3 rooms per night, but receive night/stay credits for only one room per night (there is no rule that states they have to be at the same hotel.) I've had a few situations similar to Sooks' where I was staying for a month or more at one hotel while still traveling for a night or 2 elsewhere. For me, every time that happened, I actually received both points and night/stay credits from both hotels even though some (or all) the nights overlapped. I suspect that Marriott's IT system wasn't really designed to track multiple stays at different hotels and give night/stay credits for only one of those stays. But I haven't had this scenario in a few years (changed jobs where I didn't have to be at one location for long periods of time). So it is possible that Marriott's system might possibly catch the overlapping stays at different hotels now. If that were to happen, you should still receive points for both stays, but per the rules only receive one night credit per night.

If you decide to have overlapping nights at different Marriott hotels, my suggestion would be to plan for and expect points for both rooms but only one night/stay credit per overlapping nights. And consider it a bonus if you were to still receive multiple night credits.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I'm not sure what you are trying to say, but as best I can understand, this does not match my experiences.

Per Marriott Bonvoy's T&Cs, a person can receive points for upto 3 rooms per night, but receive night/stay credits for only one room per night (there is no rule that states they have to be at the same hotel.) I've had a few situations similar to Sooks' where I was staying for a month or more at one hotel while still traveling for a night or 2 elsewhere. For me, every time that happened, I actually received both points and night/stay credits from both hotels even though some (or all) the nights overlapped. I suspect that Marriott's IT system wasn't really designed to track multiple stays at different hotels and give night/stay credits for only one of those stays. But I haven't had this scenario in a few years (changed jobs where I didn't have to be at one location for long periods of time). So it is possible that Marriott's system might possibly catch the overlapping stays at different hotels now. If that were to happen, you should still receive points for both stays, but per the rules only receive one night credit per night.

If you decide to have overlapping nights at different Marriott hotels, my suggestion would be to plan for and expect points for both rooms but only one night/stay credit per overlapping nights. And consider it a bonus if you were to still receive multiple night credits.
You’re not supposed to have two stays at different properties on the same night. If that happens, both stays are cancelled — no points, no EQN. The system may not detect overlapping stays (perhaps by design, perhaps due to a bug), but a random audit will.
Originally Posted by T&Cs, Sec. 2.1.d.iii
Members cannot earn or receive benefits at multiple Participating Properties for the same stay date(s).

Last edited by MePlatPremier; Jul 14, 2019 at 6:17 am
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I believe they will still honored one of the stays(points and eqn).
The issue is, most of the time, the shorter stays counted first as it will be posted before the longer stays posted. and then when the longer stays posted, the system (maybe?) recognised these overlap and reject the latest posted stay.

It would be easier to have the shorter stays at other chain.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
You’re not supposed to have two stays at different properties on the same night. If that happens, both stays are cancelled — no points, no EQN. The system may not detect overlapping stays (perhaps by design, perhaps due to a bug), but a random audit will.[/color]
"cannot earn at multiple properties" doesn't imply "both stays will be cancelled"
604flyer likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
"cannot earn at multiple properties" doesn't imply "both stays will be cancelled"
What does it imply then?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:02 pm

"you can earn at one but not both" is perfectly consistent with "you cannot earn at multiple properties"
Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Unfortunately just about anything can happen. Generally credit for both stays will happen. When it doesn't I, and others, have had luck with calling in explaining the situation and the account is updated.

The funny part is many reports have come in where the longer of the two overlapping stays will not post and only the shorter (maybe because the shorter one posts first?). But it does make one think maybe they are taking the one that will cost them the least in points/nights. This drives home the point to make sure you get folios for each and every stay and keep them until after everything posts.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I’ve booked six rooms and have three credited to my account and three to my wife’s account. It’s a big family trip. The hotel is now claiming that since my credit card is covering all rooms (wife’s name not on credit card despite her using it all the time) the rooms under her name won’t get credit to her account. Is that right? Seems like a cop out to not give points to her even though her name is listed on those rooms.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:26 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I’ve booked six rooms and have three credited to my account and three to my wife’s account. It’s a big family trip. The hotel is now claiming that since my credit card is covering all rooms (wife’s name not on credit card despite her using it all the time) the rooms under her name won’t get credit to her account. Is that right? Seems like a cop out to not give points to her even though her name is listed on those rooms.
The person who pays has associated status. You could try switching it up at check-in, but if you want pre-arrival upgrades then she needs her card to be there. Otherwise I’d be collecting all the nights and points for all the stays I book my family.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 3:43 pm

If I book 2 rooms (with points) would both be eligible for an upgrade, and complimentary breakfast? (I have titanium status)
Old Jul 26, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
I have a related question. My boss, a colleague and I are going on a business trip. My boss is silver so he barely gets any benefit from Marriott and I am Titanium. We decided on a couple of Marriott hotels and I booked two rooms (our colleague will book his own). I understand I will have free brekkie and all that. Can I request to have my boss’ room upgraded and get him breakfast too? I will pay for both rooms (and reimbursed later).
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by randomdude
If I book 2 rooms (with points) would both be eligible for an upgrade, and complimentary breakfast? (I have titanium status)
by rules, no. by practice, depends on the property but don’t expect it.

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
I have a related question. My boss, a colleague and I are going on a business trip. My boss is silver so he barely gets any benefit from Marriott and I am Titanium. We decided on a couple of Marriott hotels and I booked two rooms (our colleague will book his own). I understand I will have free brekkie and all that. Can I request to have my boss’ room upgraded and get him breakfast too? I will pay for both rooms (and reimbursed later).
Just book your room for two people and have your boss eat under your room. As for upgrade (and breakfast), by rule, no. By practice, depends on the property.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by myperks

by rules, no. by practice, depends on the property but don’t expect it.

Just book your room for two people and have your boss eat under your room. As for upgrade (and breakfast), by rule, no. By practice, depends on the property.

I rather he gets the suite upgrade— I don’t care for it. Besides, it doesn’t look nice if I get it and he doesn’t. He let me pick the hotels (provided within the company budget) and I want to make sure he enjoys the hotel rooms!
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes

I rather he gets the suite upgrade— I don’t care for it. Besides, it doesn’t look nice if I get it and he doesn’t. He let me pick the hotels (provided within the company budget) and I want to make sure he enjoys the hotel rooms!
shouldn’t both rooms be under your name to begin with? Just give him the better room when you check in.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by myperks

shouldn’t both rooms be under your name to begin with? Just give him the better room when you check in.
You are a genius. That’s true!
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.