Wiki Posts
Search

RC club level without club access?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, SPG Platinum
RC club level without club access?

I'm staying at the Ritz Carlton Tokyo on points with my family. Prior to getting here, I received an email that I was upgraded to the club level. Great.

On our first day, we went to the lounge for breakfast, which was excellent. On the second day, when sitting down for breakfast, the hostess asked for our room number (this never occurred on the first day). She then returned, after we had gotten our food, and very apologetically said we did not qualify for lounge access. I then opened up the app, which showed that we were in a "*club* deluxe room" on the "*club level*", and showed it to her. She then gave a quizzical expression and without saying anything walked off, never to be seen again. We finished our breakfast.

I'm now curious and second guessing whether we should go back for breakfast on our subsequent days here: do we actually have lounge access? From the RC website, a "club level" room appears to be synonymous with club access. From other posts here, I understand that being platinum doesn't automatically grant access to the club level, as it does at SPG and other Marriott brands, but the fact of the matter remains that I was nonetheless upgraded to the club level ahead of time. It​​​​​It seems weird (and frankly tacky) if we were "upgraded", but not allowed to use the main perk of that upgrade.
​​​​​

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by v0max
I'm staying at the Ritz Carlton Tokyo on points with my family. Prior to getting here, I received an email that I was upgraded to the club level. Great.

On our first day, we went to the lounge for breakfast, which was excellent. On the second day, when sitting down for breakfast, the hostess asked for our room number (this never occurred on the first day). She then returned, after we had gotten our food, and very apologetically said we did not qualify for lounge access. I then opened up the app, which showed that we were in a "*club* deluxe room" on the "*club level*", and showed it to her. She then gave a quizzical expression and without saying anything walked off, never to be seen again. We finished our breakfast.

I'm now curious and second guessing whether we should go back for breakfast on our subsequent days here: do we actually have lounge access? From the RC website, a "club level" room appears to be synonymous with club access. From other posts here, I understand that being platinum doesn't automatically grant access to the club level, as it does at SPG and other Marriott brands, but the fact of the matter remains that I was nonetheless upgraded to the club level ahead of time. It​​​​​It seems weird (and frankly tacky) if we were "upgraded", but not allowed to use the main perk of that upgrade.
​​​​​

​​​​​​This does seem to pop up every so often across many properties and not just MPG. Some will go cheap and deny lounge access for anyone that is not paying club room rates. You should expect all the perks that come with the room you are in. Every time I have had this happen to me, a pleasant reminder to the FDC has resulted in me being granted access. If I were in your position now, I would make a stop by the front desk to get it worked out as they would have been the initiator of the confusion. My guess is the attendant did not want to push the issue and let it slide. She may not be the one there tomorrow so it can start all over.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If you're upgraded to a Club room, I don't see how that would not include Club access. I wonder if there was not some sort of error which resulted in your room number not appearing on the list.

It is very rare btw to get a free Club upgrade at a RC, and also quite unusual to be notified of an upgrade by email.

Personally, I would not seek clarification from the front desk, and would only raise the issue if someone tried to deny access.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:46 pm

The way with SPG was that a room upgrade (plat or otherwise) came with full access to the regular amenities that were afforded a paying guest staying at that upgraded room category. Other hotel chains had different rules. RC has always been extremely stingy regarding club lounge access, which is specifically excluded in the T&Cs. Perhaps that SPG unwritten rule doesn’t apply anymore in the new merged program.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by MePlatPremier; Nov 20, 2018 at 5:54 pm
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:02 pm

This isn’t unusual. Lounge access isn’t a status benefit in RCs so when you get an upgraded room, sometimes that’s all you get (room only). I have seen this at the RC Shanghai Pudong as well.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Did you not have to use your keycard to access the lounge? If so, it appears you were granted access by the front desk.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:53 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
If you're upgraded to a Club room, I don't see how that would not include Club access. I wonder if there was not some sort of error which resulted in your room number not appearing on the list.

It is very rare btw to get a free Club upgrade at a RC, and also quite unusual to be notified of an upgrade by email.

Personally, I would not seek clarification from the front desk, and would only raise the issue if someone tried to deny access.
I think I'd just go to the lounge and not raise the issue with the front desk unless someone raises the issue again or unless it appears on your bill. So far, they haven't told you that you don't have lounge access, but that can change if you ask.

Do you have status with Starriott above SPG Plat or are you a frequent guest at the property? Was there a service failure during a previous stay? Are you paying rack rate? It seems highly unusual that you were preupgraded to club level at a RC, and I'm a bit curious.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:05 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I've been on the "Club Floor" a couple of times since the merger at Ritz Carlton properties and was reasonably sure that I wasn't allowed in the Club itself (I didn't see whether the key worked).
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Quite pointless upgrade to be honest. As club level room usually the same as normal room with club access.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC there are a few RCs where the difference is that the club floors are keycard restricted access in elevators, so it's supposedly a bit more secure.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:57 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
I'd echo the advice to stop at the front desk. A few years back I was upgraded to the Club level at the RC Atlanta, but my keycard didn't let me into the club. A stop by the front desk was able to get the issue resolved. The first agent I spoke to initially refused club access despite me showing my room type on the app, but her colleague pointed something out on the screen (to this day, I wonder what that was) and it was sorted out quickly after that.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: Marriott LTS

​​​​​

When I stayed in RC Bangalore - I was upgraded to the club floor without club access. i did not try getting into the club though - but if your key card worked to get into the lounge you should be fine.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by controller1
Did you not have to use your keycard to access the lounge? If so, it appears you were granted access by the front desk.
This is exactly what I would point out if I was challenged by the lounge attendant.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:14 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Only last week I was upgraded to a Club room at the RC San Francisco after an air con fail in my non-Club room. I had assumed the new Club room upgrade came with full Club access, and I asked to be sure—it did. The new room key clearly granted access in the elevator to the Club level, too (your key was required to access the different floors in the hotel).

In the OP’s case, I’d absolutely assume Club access was granted as part of the upgrade to the Club level room. The Club attendant was in error; the OP has Club access based on the upgrade to the Club level room. The OP should feel free to access and take advantage of the Club! If in doubt, the OP should speak to a manager and insist, but to my mind that isn’t at all necessary.

Marriott policy is that Platinums are not entitled to complimentary or SNA/suite upgrades to the RC Club level at RC properties. That isn’t the same as not allowing Club access when a RC hotel DOES at its own discretion upgrade one to the RC Club level anyway. If a RC upgrades one to a Club room, then one should get all the privileges of that Club room—including access to the Club.

Last edited by bhrubin; Nov 21, 2018 at 1:24 pm
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood/Marriott Plat, Others of little note
Originally Posted by controller1
ime at rcs the lounge area is open, often right by the elevator lobby, and there is sometimes an attendant station. This is also where you can Check-in and check out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.