Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC club level without club access?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Only last week I was upgraded to a Club room at the RC San Francisco after an air con fail in my non-Club room. I had assumed the new Club room upgrade came with full Club access, and I asked to be sure—it did. The new room key clearly granted access in the elevator to the Club level, too (your key was required to access the different floors in the hotel).

In the OP’s case, I’d absolutely assume Club access was granted as part of the upgrade to the Club level room. The Club attendant was in error; the OP has Club access based on the upgrade to the Club level room. The OP should feel free to access and take advantage of the Club! If in doubt, the OP should speak to a manager and insist, but to my mind that isn’t at all necessary.

Marriott policy is that Platinums are not entitled to complimentary or SNA/suite upgrades to the RC Club level at RC properties. That isn’t the same as not allowing Club access when a RC hotel DOES at its own discretion upgrade one to the RC Club level anyway. If a RC upgrades one to a Club room, then one should get all the privileges of that Club room—including access to the Club.
Your club level upgrade was a service recovery to an Ambassador which is very different from the OP's case, which might just have been the result of an overbooked hotel needing to upgrade somebody.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:44 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Your club level upgrade was a service recovery to an Ambassador which is very different from the OP's case, which might just have been the result of an overbooked hotel needing to upgrade somebody.
No argument my upgrade was service recovery.

But an upgrade is an upgrade IMO. As per old SPG policy that any upgraded room should have the full benefits of that room, I expect an upgrade to any Club room at a RC comes with Club privileges.

An overbooked RC hotel isn’t likely to have a free Club room available. But I still believe if an overbooked RC upgrades one to a Club room, one gets Club privileges. From what my Ambassador tells me, the old SPG policy is the same as Marriott’s policy—though we can’t be 100% sure since we’ve not see that in writing for Marriott.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Of course that was the old SPG rule, but we're not in Starwood anymore and moreover, RC never was as it was an orphan legacy Marriott brand.

ADDED: I've stayed in some RCs where club level meant a regular room with lounge access; there weren't dedicated club floors or wings and I don't know whether there were constraints on how many club level rates would be sold.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Of course that was the old SPG rule, but we're not in Starwood anymore and moreover, RC never was as it was an orphan legacy Marriott brand.
Having made top tier in four different programs over the years, I only recall once where a Hilton tried saying no lounge access when bumped to a club floor. A short word with the FDC got that resolved. So IME it's an industry standard. Yes, some properties might try to wiggle out of delivering and the program should have clear benefit terms. Asking (the FDC, FDM, CSR, etc.) is the way to find out.
ADDED: I've stayed in some RCs where club level meant a regular room with lounge access; there weren't dedicated club floors or wings and I don't know whether there were constraints on how many club level rates would be sold.
Just like with most FS Marriotts, the only difference between club rooms and standard rooms were bathrobes hanging in the closet. Being on the same floor of the club is nice, but some hotels have several floors labeled Club Floor but only one club.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Having made top tier in four different programs over the years, I only recall once where a Hilton tried saying no lounge access when bumped to a club floor. A short word with the FDC got that resolved. So IME it's an industry standard. Yes, some properties might try to wiggle out of delivering and the program should have clear benefit terms.
Accor hotels consistently (quite a miracle!) deny club access if non platinum in LCAH upgraded to club room.

Global Hotel Alliance Discovery did mention that upgrade to club floor may exclude the club access. And since I usually book club room already there, I never tried this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, SPG Platinum
1) Yes, my keycard was required to get to the lounge (I was on the 52nd floor, which required keycard access, whereas the lounge was on the 53rd floor and also required keycard access; the keycard worked on both floors, while none of the lower floors required a keycard). Honestly, if my keycard hadn't worked, I wouldn't have pressed the issue at all.

2) The room had the same amenities and size as the regular room that I had reserved using points. Thus, the only difference between a "club room" and a regular room appears to be lounge access. RC's website appears to confirm that being on the "club level" is synonymous with having access to the lounge: Club Level | The Ritz-Carlton, Tokyo

To followup:
I didn't want to go ask at the front desk, since I figured they could only say no. So we ended up going back the next day to see what would happen. The same hostess was there (the one who previously told me that I didn't have access, and then walked away speechless when I showed her the club level room reservation in the app) though this time she recognized me and was very cordial, showing us immediately to a table! When checking out the next day (too early to want breakfast and try my luck in the lounge a fourth time), I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't try to charge us for the lounge access either (which up until that point I worried might be a possibility).

Anyway, I think the whole issue here is that I probably shouldn't have gotten upgraded to the club level just for being platinum (and still have no idea why I was upgraded, since the hotel seemed nearly empty). However, once upgraded to the club level, I think there should have been no question that I get access to the lounge, since that's the main perk of the upgrade.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
That sounds like a mistake on the part of the hostess, or perhaps her seeing your platinum upgrade and applying the regular "no upgrade" policy on her own initiative. But clearly the front desk gave you an upgrade and keyed your access to 52 and 53. Glad it worked out for you!

We are doing an award trip to the Hotel Arts Barcelona, an RC property, and it's quite clear that platinums aren't entitled to any benefits at all there, but I've seen TA reports where plats who booked club level rooms were offered better views or even suites. I wanted to avoid the cost and trouble of buying breakfast so I sprang the extra 100 euros a day for the club access, also we're arriving early in the morning and I'd like somewhere to relax if there are no rooms available.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This happened to us a few years ago. We were given a room on the club floor and specifically told at checkin that club access would be 100 dollars a day.
daloosh likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
This happened to us a few years ago. We were given a room on the club floor and specifically told at checkin that club access would be 100 dollars a day.
I'd rather pay 100 dollars, but euros it is. In addition to separate club level checkin, I imagine free drinks and food during the day will be helpful. And if there's a platinum upgrade, which I don't expect, that'll be icing on the cake.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:11 pm

IME RC club means five feedings per day: breakfast, light lunch (not really light as there will be hot stuff, pasta, big salads, etc.), afternoon tea, appetizers (happy hour, including a full bar), and desserts (with emphasis on after dinner drinks at this time). I don't think there's free alcohol 24/7, although some of the foreign lounges with 24/7 access do provided a limited selection of wine/beer and snacks like cheese and crackers throughout the night.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We were in Santiago and had no intention of being in the hotel all day to take advantage.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: SPG+Marriott Platinum
I have a current situation which is a little different.

I'm a Marriott Plat Premier staying at a Ritz right now for a couple weeks on business. A couple days before my check-in I see my existing reservation in my account showing me a new room type - "Room 1... Club Suite, Club Lounge Access, 1 Bedroom Suite, 1 King". I took a screen shot, thinking here's my proof in that I may have been upgraded due to status as I had booked a simple Deluxe Room type.

When I checked in the day of my arrival they said they were not going to honor this when I showed them the screen shot of the room described above. They mentioned they are working on fixing the error. They put me in what they said was a suite, but I'd call it a mini-suite at best, on the lowest floor, with no club lounge access.

I didn't know what to think. You all know better than I do. Perhaps just another IT error of the merger, but I don't know/understand. Not sure either if this kind of thing happens to others, and if so, at what frequency.

Last edited by WorldPalmHand; Dec 4, 2018 at 4:54 pm
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:14 pm

As a PP, you're officially entitled to a free (standard) suite upgrade at RCs, based on availability of course for your entire stay. However, you're not entitled to club lounge access without paying extra, although the hotel is free to offer this on an above and beyond basis.

If the hotel has separate club floors, is there a standard suite available for your stay on a nonclub floor?

Otherwise is there a standard suite available for your entire stay?

It's unfortunate that your reservation showed the exceedingly generous preupgrade, but unfortunately the hotel is not obligated to provide such an upgrade, even if available.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: SPG+Marriott Platinum
It's unfortunate that your reservation showed the exceedingly generous preupgrade, but unfortunately the hotel is not obligated to provide such an upgrade, even if available.
Agreed.

Not having stayed at many Ritz Carlton hotels I understand now their way of doing things.

It was a little confusing for myself when checking in just as it was confusing to the OP for not being offered the full amenities of being placed in a Club Level room-only upgrade. Sometimes it just takes a stay experience to understand the chains' business ways, which they are entirely free to set as they please.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.