Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which brands from Mariott are ultra luxury?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which brands from Mariott are ultra luxury?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:37 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
... no ... kiddin'?

(... and I'm serious- I'm just surprised, is all- considering all the places you two have been I'm surprised a "chain" hotel in a major city like SYD ranks that highly)
Seriously. It isn’t even close. The PH Sydney is the toast of the town—with no other real competition. We’ve also stayed at the former Observatory (now the Langham) and Westin. The FS is horribly dated. The Shangri-La, IC, and Sofitel are the only other contenders other than a few boutique hotels, but they don’t measure up. Just check out the Luxury Hotels Forum threads on Sydney/Australia and it will be obvious.

The upcoming RC and W actually may give the PH a run for its money, but their Darling Harbour locations still give PH the edge—at least until Darling Harbour ever becomes the epicenter some envision.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:28 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bhrubin

I think it’s quite clear that most agree that St Regis, Ritz Carlton, and Luxury Collection qualify as luxury brands in the Marriott Loyalty Program—

I think it’s quite clear that few see W and Edition as quite comparable luxury brands, even as a small subset of those qualify as luxury properties.

I was thinking about this this morning as I check out of the Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel. While this hotel is in a beautiful location and has lot of things going for it, it feels less “luxury” to me than other Starriott hotels I’ve stayed at this year. Certainly the service level here is nowhere near the top Luxury properties.

This was a big travel year for us (over 200 nights) and we had a chance to visit (and revisit) several favorite properties. Schloss Fuschl, W Verbier, President Wilson, St Regis NYC, St Regis SF, Prince de Galles, Grande Bretagne, Mystique & Domes of Elounda all delivered what I consider to be a Luxury experience, comparable to top boutique hotels.

I think it really comes down to individual hotels, management and culture.

The good news is that Marriott now has some pretty amazing properties in its portfolio. That is good news for legacy Marriott folks and legacy Starwood guests.

bhrubin and rny321 like this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ksw299
I would certainly add the Palacio del inka and Tambo del inka LC hotels in Peru. They have truly outstanding service - especially TDI.
and are franchise like some other well regarded LC (and bvlgari london and RC montreal)

seems there is some agreement to not make assumption based on brand

Originally Posted by rny321
I feel the same way about privacy.
few rooms and large scale is hard product (could operate at profit without return)
few rooms and large staff is quantitative soft product (many operate at loss)
services and many rate inclusions are not hard product (reduce margin)

some of us dont care about privacy (many do) but are willing to pay for few rooms

Originally Posted by pinniped
I'm late to this party, but when I think of "ultra luxury", I think of the top 100 or so hotels in the world, many of which are boutiques or the very top specimens of the best luxury brands in the world.

But since ultra-luxe is nebulous, I would personally gatekeep it pretty hard. Really unique, one-of-a-kind experiences (that also meet all of the definitions of "luxury") only.
clearly OP was trying to differentiate, just not sure exactly what they were going for

even top 100 properties may be too many, although tons in africa and a bunch in NZ

one differentiation i make is "hotel" vs "property" (safari-style pool-villa-only al maha)

al maha owned by dubai, successfully began independent then signed LC management

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 21, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: Marriott LTS
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
and are franchise like some other well regarded LC (and bvlgari london and RC montreal)

seems there is some agreement to not make assumption based on brand
Oh yes - for instance the Equinox in Vermont is only ok - they dont offer anything special.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

franchise (LC allows) puts more dependence on owner

but even managed can vary dramatically - RC (and FS etc)
bhrubin has made that point for non marriott brands

and ultra luxury pretty much requires at least decent owner
(true ultra luxury operating at loss are all about owner)

world could use more luxury, ultra luxury, great owners
especially beachfront, for some of us low density beachfront
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Some of the aspects are customer service aren't necessarily a function of spending. Unless I am mistaken Asian airlines don't spend more on compensation and training of flight attendants, yet they generally provide better customer service than many American airlines. A waiter or other employee in countries where tips aren't customary costs an employer the same amount of money regardless of how helpful they are. Not all enthusiastic service is a plus as anyone who has dealt with an overly friendly waiter when trying to engage in a business conversation.

In addition to the clear examples of bad service, we may have different preferences about how much interaction we desire with salaried employees. People in a business or a social situation who are able to quickly determine whether a counterpart wants additional attention or privacy have a skill that many people lack. Unlike suite upgrades and room with premiums views which are easy to review, beyond the obvious examples of excellent or poor service, there is an area where opinions will vary. When I'm in a restaurant, on the beach, or working out, I generally don't want to speak with the GM or other management employees. In contrast, some people understandably appreciate the personal attention.

Providing live music at dinner adds to the cost of operating a restaurant. While many people appreciate it, I find that it is often loud enough to make conversations difficult. When I'm on the beach, I want to listen to the ocean and not someone else's music choices. Some people will consider the same things that I find objectionable essential to their concept of luxury, which is why I value the detailed reviews of the soft product that some provide so highly and not just the summaries.
kennycrudup and Atlanticist like this.

Last edited by rny321; Nov 22, 2018 at 8:03 am
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

properties target different guests (especially properties with only a few rooms, many of which also operate at low occupancy level) as you and others have noted >
I would in most cases rather stay at
ultra luxury should include service, but may have zero service/staff whatsoever (rentals)

an argument that zero components of service can be quantified in any way is not a good argument

I value the detailed reviews of the soft product
no reasonable argument against detailed reviews, so there must be some cross talk here

Unlike objective criteria, like upgrades and food and beverage credits, which are quantifiable; it is far more difficult to convey the merits of the soft product.
how you would place a numerical value on various aspects of soft products.
i think many agree re "many" >

I don't know if I would consider many of my past hotel stays ultra luxury.
re definitions, i would define everything other than hard product as soft. i am not sure if that is how the industry does it, and i am sure that others may define it differently regardless of industry.

re preferences i liked "psycho-graphic" instead of demographic. attitudes, styles, preferences, tastes opinions, beliefs, values are not limited by demographic. one luxury research report contrasted "trendsetters" with "connoisseurs" , i thought a better approach vs demographic.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 21, 2018 at 6:53 pm
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
properties target different guests (especially properties with only a few rooms, many of which also operate at low occupancy level) as you and others have noted >

ultra luxury should include service, but may have zero service/staff whatsoever (rentals)

an argument that zero components of service can be quantified in any way is not a good argument

no reasonable argument against detailed reviews, so there must be some cross talk here

i think many agree re "many" >

re definitions, i would define everything other than hard product as soft. i am not sure if that is how the industry does it, and i am sure that others may define it differently regardless of industry.
While it's true that some aspects of customer service are valued differently by customers, I don't believe I said zero components of soft products can be quantified. For some reason you took issue with a single sentence in a post where I was complementing those who provide detailed reviews of the soft product aspect of luxury. In your criticism, you tried to make the argument that the value of soft product was determined by its cost to a merchant. If you read my prior post, you will see several reasons why a merchant's cost isn't always a good indication of value to a customer.

Last edited by rny321; Nov 22, 2018 at 8:00 am
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

development cost is not soft , definitely we are talking past each other on certain points of emphasis

caviar is expensive, regardless of whether one likes it, and that is where i will end on quantitative

re quality of service (re ultra luxury) while ignoring style, it is extremely difficult to deliver. four seasons is fantastic with procedures including hiring. they use situational/behavioral interviews, not sure much of a trendsetter they were with that. many do it now. ritz carlton was also big on procedures, and obviously marriott did not completely discard all of them upon acquisition. other smaller brands perhaps best represented by amanresorts under adrian zecha, did the complete opposite from procedures. general managers ran property like they owned it, and like it was a large private residence hosting friends. no top down from corporate. regent hotels under bob burns was similar according to a four seasons manager / executive. zecha was at regent with bob burns. some smaller brands and independents prefer hiring people from outside hotel industry.

outside of hotels, steve jobs and apple can be compared in terms of being an outlier. they made stores work, are secretive, and some stock analysts say their stock is "hated" by many analysts.

many upscale hotels that do operate at a profit were seen as having no chance at ever working. the first amanresort. four seasons hualalai. latter for example was said to not have anywhere near enough rooms, and too much was spent on things that would not generate revenue.

its unfortunate it seems financing is currently very difficult for luxury villa resorts, whether there are residences or not. while lehman brothers bankruptcy suspended development of many such resorts, they may have been single handedly responsible for big expansion of luxury hotel industry.

regardless, marriott + starwood blows away hilton, IHG, accor in terms of upscale and luxury.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 21, 2018 at 7:33 pm
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Ultra luxury can be a subjective term, but I would say that StR is the top of the hotels in the Marriott-SPG portfolio. People mention the StR DC as a subpar property which I agree with, but the Bal Harbour and Bahia Beach in PR (at least pre-hurricanes of 2017) were top notch. I have been treated exceptionally as platinum in both of them - free full breakfast and consistent upgrades - the best as high as the 2 bedroom Royal Suite in Bal Harbour.

I have less experience at RC but the last stay in Aruba was certainly nice but not comparable to StR in my opinion. RC seems to think highly of themselves - the sorting of the combined brands lists RC before StR (as if it is better) and RC has always offered less benefits to elites (as if they don’t need to). I would stay at RC again but not if a StR is also an option.

I don’t seek just luxury properties - we stay in an array of different hotels, but if luxury is the priority, I would choose StR.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

most dramatic at bal harbour is (1) presidential , not always crazy rate >
marriott.com/hotels/hotel-rooms/details/miaxr-the-st-regis-bal-harbour-resort/pres
(edition and W SoBe have suites / bungalows with lap pools at crazy rates)

st regis punta mita has beachfront villas with pools (and beachfront rooms)

RC has some villa resorts, and Reserve brand
Reserve brand real step in right direction luxury wise vs big box
also - montreal (franchise) , waikiki (new residence-only) , FLL
the good ones in asian cities likely a function of city theyre in
condo owners at FLL dropped st regis and replaced with RC

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 22, 2018 at 2:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.