Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which brands from Mariott are ultra luxury?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which brands from Mariott are ultra luxury?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:03 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
That’s not what I said though! I have stayed at many modern St Regis properties (Istanbul, Mexico City, Beijing, Moscow for example), but all unarguably hark back to the founding days of the St Regis New York: it’s the entire point of the brand. Every St Regis has a signature Bloody Mary, Astor Suites, Butler Service, references to the parties held in New York, etc. It is not that the hotel architecture has to be from the 19th Century, but that the entire brand is based around a reference to the Upper East Side in the 19th Century.
I could be wrong, but I think you may be projecting! What you said was this:

I suspect St Regis is the "most luxury" in that group of chains (mixture of cost and style/ facilities), but I would also usually choose a Park Hyatt because I like their service style and (usually) the architecture. It's usually a bit more modern and not linked to a 19th century New York upper class that I feel nothing in common with as the St Regis brand is.
You are most entitled to think whatever you want about St Regis...but I think that may have more to do with your own background and less about the actual brand.

Naming rooms and suites after the founder’s family members doesn’t harken to any age or class; it simply references the founder’s family.

Having a Bloody Mary signature drink evokes 19th century classism to you? Really? It only evokes to me that the famous cocktail was supposedly created as the Red Snapper at the original St Regis King Cole Bar. It’s a cocktail that is reinvented with local style at other St Regis hotels. I find it difficult to get classism from a cocktail.

What references to parties in New York do you mean? I’ve not had any references to any parties in any of my many StR stays around the world.

Butler service is offered by many hotels. Heck, Las Ventanas by Rosewood also offers butler service to its signature suites. If you’re bothered by the terminology of dress of the St Regis butler, despite them being dressed differently at different locations throughout the brand, so be it. But a butler bringing me coffee versus in room dining at another hotel bringing me coffee doesn’t evoke 19th century upper classism to me. Having an unpacking and packing service is just excellent service. Having complimentary shoe shine and pressing is something that many hotels offer for their guests or even for their suite or Club level guests. There’s always been a distinction with better service for those paying more.

Both St Regis and Park Hyatt offer excellent service, so I have no idea what you mean when you talk about liking the Park Hyatt service style. They have no difference in service “style” that I’ve ever perceived. Their “style” is pretty comparable also to the “style” used at Four Seasons, Peninsula, Aman, Mandarin Oriental, Rosewood, Banyan Tree, Ritz-Carlton, Waldorf Astoria, and the like. I think the difference in your perception may have more to do with you than the hotels.

Waldorf Astoria is another brand founded on its original famous property in New York. Yet the various Waldorf Astoria properties around the world don’t evoke WA-associated ambience of Manhattan. The WA Shanghai and WA Beverly Hills evoke Manhattan as much as the Peninsula Shanghai and Pen Beverly Hills do—not really at all beyond the WA name, perhaps. The WA Caledonian Edinburgh doesn’t evoke New York at all.

I’d say the same is true for St Regis. There is nothing New York or 19th century oligarchical about the StR Lhasa or the StR Bora Bora or the StR Punta Mita or the StR Istanbul. Referencing the original property with room category names and a signature cocktail hardly evokes classism, I think. It is only a minor and respectful homage to the original.

I can understand you liking a more modern sensibility. That absolutely can explain a preference for PH over many StR. But I must disagree vehemently that most StR property evoke 19th century New York. The StR New York does. If there were a St Regis London, I’m sure it might. But few if any of the others do, and it would be quite a surprise to me!

Arab, Russian and Chinese money is obsessed with Anglo-Saxon nobility and the days of empire, which is why the brand resonates with their target market and is so successful. It’s fair to say i’m effectively the opposite of a Russian oligarch or a Chinese govt fixer, as a result this aspect of the brand is actually a turn-off for me.

So be it. But again, this really just makes me think you’re projecting! I love the St Regis brand AND I love the Park Hyatt brand. I don’t have any thoughts of any Anglo-Saxon nobility and days of empire when I stay at either. I’m pretty sure I am not a Russian oligarch in waiting either. Being a gay Jewish guy probably precludes that, I’d guess.

I think you have images of what types of people frequent the StR brand, and that is prejudicing you toward the brand. I think you’re wrong, though. I think your perception has more to do with you and your background and less with the hotel brands to which you ascribe such evocations. You’re most entitled to your thinking, though!

Last edited by bhrubin; Nov 15, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:27 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Naming rooms and suites after the founder’s family members doesn’t harken to any age or class; it simply references the founder’s family. Astor doesn’t evoke 19th century to me any than any other name.

Having a Bloody Mary signature drink evokes 19th century or classism to you? It doesn’t to me.

What references to parties in New York do you mean? I’ve not had any references to such in any of my many stays.

Most of the St Regis bars are King Cole bars and the menu has a section describing the history of the New York St Regis. When you attend a champagne sabering, you will usually be told that it's a tradition started in New York explaining how glamorous the parties are (the Sommelier in San Francisco is good at this). There will often be a reference to 19th century New York on the food menus, sometimes there will be a plaque or sabre lying around with a story about the 19th Century New York. And, as noted, many concepts of the hotel are named after references to the 19th century St Regis New York. If you look at St-Regis.com they reference the creation of the Bloody Mary in St Regis New York and have a whole timeline about the Astor family and their lives. For example, a quote on the St Regis.com website landing page says "As artists, visionaries and influencers of all kinds vied for inclusion, her social circle evolved to shape the first true expression of New York Society". It wasn't hard to guess that the St Regis website would reference 19th Century New York and that the Park Hyatt one would not (instead a sample sentence is "Park Hyatt designers furnish the finest in elegant taste while complementing the unique characteristics and culture of the destination" - you also hear a lot about "personalised service).

The 19th Century Upper East Side story is the cornerstone of the St Regis Brand and why all the hotels are called St Regis and not "Dave" or something else. Surely you can't think it's just a coincidence that there are all these references to 19th century New York high society all over the place in the hotels?

Both St Regis and Park Hyatt offer excellent service, so I have no idea what you mean when you talk about liking the Park Hyatt service style. They have no difference in service “style” that I’ve ever perceived. I think the difference in your perception may have more to do with you than the hotels.
I think the overall quality of service differs between individual hotels, but I perceive a very different set of service standards between the two hotels. As you've said for example, the St Regis consistently has Butlers for at least some rooms, whereas the Park Hyatt is different. I'm not saying the Park Hyatt style is definitely better, but it is more to my tastes. I prefer not to be bowed at (Japan excepting, obviously) or called "Sir", but instead "Mr EuropeanPete", for example. In keeping with the St Regis brand, St Regis service is clearly designed to be more reverential, whereas Park Hyatt's have a more modern luxury style.
I think you have images of what types of people frequent the StR brand, and that is prejudicing you toward the brand. I think you’re wrong, though. I think your perception has more to do with you and your background and less with the hotel brands to which you ascribe such evocations. You’re most entitled to your thinking, though!
I know very well what kind of people stay in St Regis's as I spend so much time in them myself. My point is not about criticising the other clientele (who, let's face it, are rarely irritating in a St Regis), but instead that the brand personality and associations are on balance a turn-off for me and that I find other brand personalities more of a match (e.g. Edition hotels) even though I may stay at those brands less often for practical reasons - clearly a hotel's brand comes about 3-4th in the list of priorities.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:49 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

I'm not saying the Park Hyatt style is definitely better, but it is more to my tastes. I prefer not to be bowed at (Japan excepting, obviously) or called "Sir", but instead "Mr EuropeanPete", for example. In keeping with the St Regis brand, St Regis service is clearly designed to be more reverential, whereas Park Hyatt's have a more modern luxury style.
Bolding mine. Wow, do I think you are wrong. But we all sometimes see what we want to see rather than what is actually true. Since I have been called Mr. Rubin at the PHs just as often as I am at the St Regis hotels. Or any luxury hotels, for that matter.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
I always considered luxury to be subjective as my definition is not only different from most people but has changed vastly over the years. When I was in college and traveling in Europe after school ended, I alternated sleeping on a train and staying in hostels.

At one of my rare stays in an actual hotel, a roommate reminded me in the morning that I physically tossed someone out of our room that I caught rummaging through one of our bags. Even if I hadn't believed that the intruder was in some way affiliated with the hotel, I wouldn't have considered asking for compensation. Things have changed considered since then.

When I was foolishly considering becoming a part-owner in a friends older 35-meter boat, I never thought of calling it a yacht as I don't consider a boat I can afford a yacht. Somewhat humorously, some yacht brokers who heard what I was considering seems appalled. Although it wasn't the level of consternation that someone who wanted to bring cheap wine to a dinner at a 3-star Michelin restaurant might feel, I was amused that something that I viewed so extravagant wasn't even considered suitable.

Although I could easily rank various hotels based on my preferences, I don't know if I would consider many of my past hotel stays ultra luxury. I guess I always assumed that anything I was willing to purchase wasn't luxury.
amanuensis and Horace like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ultra luxury brands (vs properties) are very limited, if there are any. no big chains, and going back to OP - not four seasons (larged varied) or one & only (small varied) , definitely not larger and or even more varied brands anantara and six senses. (soneva is 3 resorts.)

no posts from RC club regulars? they exist on FT, reporting they experience very high level of service from club concierge and staff and that they like having a quieter area. i recall 2 'loud' reports - FLL (which was very well regarded including for lounge F&B) and berlin during a big football/soccer game.

i am probably alone here, but i dont think there are really brand standards in the way there may have been in past. except 'items' like butlers at st regis. most brands have been acquired, likely best regarded were less profitable.

its good marriott isnt franchising st regis or W so far. Park Hyatt allows outsourcing of everything, which is de facto franchising, and has caused problems including at some of their best regarded properties. unfortunate.

most brand regulars on FT just seem to find things they like about them, including loyalty program.

also there will always be outliers in various ways, for example top suites including at westin rome.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 19, 2018 at 12:43 pm
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium

That’s not what I said though! I have stayed at many modern St Regis properties (Istanbul, Mexico City, Beijing, Moscow, Kuala Lumpur, Dubai for example), but all unarguably hark back to the founding days of the St Regis New York: it’s the entire point of the brand. Every St Regis has a signature Bloody Mary, Astor Suites, Butler Service, references to the parties held in New York, etc. It is not that the hotel architecture has to be from the 19th Century, but that the entire brand is based around a reference to the Upper East Side in the 19th Century.

Exactly! I'd add St. Regis San Francisco to your list of properties with contemporary, but still luxury design. This is an example where Marriott's 1,000 brands makes sense: Ritz Carlton targets a more traditional luxury while St. Regis targets more modern luxury. They can coexist.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

speaking of st regis branding, context of bentley partnership >

[bentley:] 2010 operating loss grew by 26% to €245 million

2011, St. Regis joined Bentley in extraordinary partnership
Bentley Suite at The St. Regis New York [owned by starwood] launched 2012
second suite opening in the vibrant St. Regis Istanbul
2016 third suite at The St. Regis Dubai in Al Habtoor City
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Regis_New_York
At the suggestion of his niece, Astor named the new hotel after Upper St. Regis Lake in the Adirondacks. The lake had been named for a French Jesuit priest, Jean-François Régis, known for his hospitality to travelers.[3]
expand from hotel to brand has logic and can be great
st regis & waldorf astoria may be only brands like above
ritz carlton (and mandarin oriental) was 2 hotels not 1
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 15, 2018 at 7:29 pm
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney

Exactly! I'd add St. Regis San Francisco to your list of properties with contemporary, but still luxury design. This is an example where Marriott's 1,000 brands makes sense: Ritz Carlton targets a more traditional luxury while St. Regis targets more modern luxury. They can coexist.
That’s curious. My experience is exactly the opposite. I have regarded StR properties as traditional, old-time hotels (NYC, Rome, Florence, London) and even the newer ones have a conservative, very traditional style (Singapore, Bangkok). Whereas, R-Cs in my opinion tend to be more contemporary but a bit in bad taste, with kitschy and blingy interiors with sort of Trump Tower-esque decors.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i guess you missed st regis bal harbour for example. starwood sold to company in abu dhabi (not govt)

london was deflagged, coincidentally it is owned by abu dhabi govt (who also own edition LON/MIA/NYC)

many RCs are pretty old, not sure re status of soft/hard renovations at all of the oldest ones.

re top suites, also at edition MIA and W SoBe.

qatar govt has bought and nicely renovated a lot >
rome - st regis, westin
florence - st regis
venice - gritti
milan - excelsior
san francisco - st regis
doha - RC, RC sharq

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 16, 2018 at 8:23 am
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by lingua101
... no free breakfast. I wonder why someone will pay for USD400/night.
?!

Certainly I can't be the only one here seeing the demographic disconnect between "people who pay $400/night for a hotel room" and "people who expect a free breakfast", right?
DJ_Iceman and Twickenham like this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:31 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Certainly I can't be the only one here seeing the demographic disconnect between "people who pay $400/night for a hotel room" and "people who expect a free breakfast", right?
I think that shows the wide gulf between people who think luxury is getting more for free and/or a nicer or more spacious version of what they already know...and others who think luxury is an excellent higher grade product delivered with excellent service and personalization. To each, their own.

I’m now at the Ritz Carlton San Francisco. I got moved to an upgraded Club level room for my next 2 nights after an air con mishap the first night. I’ve never been a fan of lounges or the RC Club because I don’t like lounge food and certainly don’t think of it as a luxury food/beverage experience. Given this first ever opportunity to freely explore the RC Club, I had both breakfast and lunch there yesterday. I wasn’t impressed; it smacked of just being a very nice lounge/cafeteria, but didn’t offer even close to a luxury meal IMO.

Despite having the RC Club available to me today, I instead ordered and paid for room service breakfast and lunch today. I’m more than happy to pay for what I want rather than take what is given for free in the Club.

FWIW, my nightly rate is $549–pretty good for a 5* hotel in San Francisco. And all the staff still call me Mr., despite this not being the St Regis.
kennycrudup and rny321 like this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
I think that shows the wide gulf between people who think luxury is getting more for free and/or a nicer or more spacious version of what they already know...and others who think luxury is an excellent higher grade product delivered with excellent service and personalization. To each, their own
Unlike objective criteria, like upgrades and food and beverage credits, which are quantifiable; it is far more difficult to convey the merits of the soft product. Those of you who appreciate the latter and are able to provide the reader with an accurate impression of their experience are rarer than those who focus on the former. Although I am more likely to be sitting in the stands during an ACC or NCAA basketball tournament than enjoying a meal at the King Cole Bar, even if one is able to root against Duke, your review makes a compelling case for an anniversary dinner there.

Last edited by rny321; Nov 16, 2018 at 2:32 pm
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
I also give the edge to St Regis over PH, RC, WA, etc. I even give the edge to St Regis over Four Seasons, since I so love the StR brand standard butler service.
What is it that the butler service provides for you at St Regis that you find you can't get at PH, RC, or Four Seasons?

Thanks,
--woodstock
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
?!

I'm not sure I follow. If you're referring specifically to the "luxury" experience, which you probably are, then I agree. It's not about getting free stuff...although I also don't expect to get nickel-and-dimed for every little thing.

But I do think luxury has everything to do with the hard product rather than the soft product. If I were called "Sir", offered turn down service, and even St. Regis style butler service at the Marriott CY, it's not luxury. However, I could do without all those things and have a luxury experience in a beachfront villa with my own pool and a Michelin starred restaurant on site. So while not about free, I could understand how that poster would try to make a tie to hard product in some way.

I suppose this just proves everyone has a different definition of a luxury hotel and/or experience.
rny321 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
The short answer should be anything that doesn't accept rewards (Ritz-Carlton Reserve), followed closely by that that provide little to no status benefits (Ritz-Carlton). Everything else is for the aspirational, upwardly mobile types that get easily swept up in reward programs and promotions which a true luxury brand should not need to spend on (i.e. Four Seasons)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.