Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Need additional nights to maintain status

Need additional nights to maintain status

Old Aug 4, 20, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Remember that you must show up and check in personally for the nights to count.
I thought I had checked in online in Vegas in the past without ever visit the front desk.
Old Aug 4, 20, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by damnyourefine View Post
The intended action here violates the program T&Cís.

If you want to be Titanium, please earn it.
I am not sure what you definition of earn it, I am paying for all the nights I have so far. Since COVID occurred, I no longer travel for work.
I am willing to pay for the nights, it not free.
SPN Lifer and hyedmd like this.
Old Aug 4, 20, 6:31 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Anh5oi View Post
Does anyone know some cheap hotels I can booked in certain states that I can check in online to get my 75 nights requirement for Titanium status for next year?
i only need 12 more nights.
1. Goto Marriott's website (or the app) and search on a city that you're willing to go to - option to search on special rates such as AAA, AARP, etc.
2. Filter on price and/or category.
3. Pick a hotel that meets the cost you're willing to spend.
4. Do this for all the cities/locales that you're willing to go to.
5. From each hotel at each locale, either reserve for all 12 nights or potentially spread the nights investment around.

Good luck!

David
SPN Lifer and Kacee like this.
Old Aug 4, 20, 7:34 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I am not sure what you definition of earn it, I am paying for all the nights I have so far. Since COVID occurred, I no longer travel for work.
Sure, but per the program T&C you must be physically present to earn a qualifying night.
anteater and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Aug 4, 20, 8:04 pm
formerly damnyourefine

Programs: SPG100, United GS, HA P70K
Originally Posted by yosithezet View Post
Welcome to FlyerTalk, mnn!
Earn the nights, sir. Based on your original post, it is that clear youíre attempting to purchase nights without staying so as to obtain a higher status tier. That is not how Elite Qualifying Nights are earned, and would be a violation of the T&Cs.

🙄
Old Aug 5, 20, 8:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Plat, HY Globule
Does anyone know some cheap hotels I can booked in certain states that I can check in online to get my 75 nights requirement for Titanium status for next year?
If you are flexible, remember that point stays are qualifying stays. You can look for Cat 1 or 2 hotels and book a 2 6 night stays for the price of 10 nights. That said, you may find rates cheap enough that even a 5th night free stay is not a great use of points. You at least have to show up to check in, but no real need to return to check out.
Old Aug 5, 20, 9:55 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Undoubtedly there will be occasions when things slip through the net and folk might get a credit even if they don't show up in person.

However, bear this in mind before you lay out any money :
Just like you, we would all be willing to pay for a night at the cheapest Bonvoy hotel we can find anywhere in the whole world, check in online, and then not show up. If Marriott routinely gave Bonvoy night credits for doing this, then everyone here would be Titanium elite. They aren't.
Old Aug 5, 20, 5:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Cathay Pacific Gold
Just out of interest, and I'm not criticising because we all have our own goals, (a) what status are you currently this year?; and (b) what incremental benefit do you expect to get next year by being Titanium over whatever lesser elite status level you are this year?

Because:

* If you're Titanium this year then Bonvoy is already giving you an additional year of Titanium benefits next year.
* If you're Titanium and after the 75-night free night gift then spending on 12 nights to get one free one wouldn't seem like good value.
* If you're Platinum, then you've already re-qualified, Bonvoy is giving you an additional year anyway, and the point above regarding spending on 12 to get one free still applies.
* You've got your Platinum Lifetime year already this year and they're not counting Titanium Lifetime years because it doesn't exist.

I just don't want you to go to a lot of effort or cost to get these 12 qualifying nights this year when I'm struggling to see the value for next year in doing so. But you could have a plan that makes perfect sense, hence my questions at the top.
escapefromphl likes this.
Old Aug 5, 20, 8:20 pm

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer View Post
Just like you, we would all be willing to pay for a night at the cheapest Bonvoy hotel we can find anywhere in the whole world, check in online, and then not show up. If Marriott routinely gave Bonvoy night credits for doing this, then everyone here would be Titanium elite. They aren't.
No, not ALL of us would be. Speak for yourself, not "everyone here."

If we assume that the cheapest Bonvoy hotel anywhere in the whole world is say USD50/night (probably on the low side given taxes and fees must be considered), I can confidently say I would not pay $3,750 for Titanium.

Originally Posted by ftrichard View Post
Just out of interest, and I'm not criticising because we all have our own goals...
By all means, please go ahead and criticize making hotel or airline status a goal!

Last edited by hhoope01; Aug 6, 20 at 5:36 am Reason: Removed quote from now deleted post.
Old Aug 7, 20, 3:10 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
No, not ALL of us would be. Speak for yourself, not "everyone here."

If we assume that the cheapest Bonvoy hotel anywhere in the whole world is say USD50/night (probably on the low side given taxes and fees must be considered), I can confidently say I would not pay $3,750 for Titanium.
I do apologise for using an illustrative figure of speech that, on reflection, some people may take literally.

FWIW, if anyone does wish to risk the pay-but-not-show-up move to earn top-up night credits to attain <whichever Bonvoy status tier they desire>, then it's doable for significantly less than USD50 a night. You just need to know where, and when, to look.
ftrichard likes this.
Old Aug 7, 20, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by damnyourefine View Post
Based on your original post, it is that clear you’re attempting to purchase nights without staying so as to obtain a higher status tier. That is not how Elite Qualifying Nights are earned, and would be a violation of the T&Cs.
I wouldn't call it "a violation"; it just won't work, b/c per the T&C, you have to "personally stay" at the hotel for the night to qualify towards status. Here's the specific provision (2.1.d.):
A 'Stay' or 'Qualifying Stay' means all consecutive nights a Member registers for, and personally pays and stays at any Participating Property . . . .
Old Aug 7, 20, 12:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS MVP Gold; UA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I wouldn't call it "a violation"; it just won't work, b/c per the T&C, you have to "personally stay" at the hotel for the night to qualify towards status. Here's the specific provision (2.1.d.):
The way I read it is that OP is willing to check in and stay some time. Does Marriott say you have to stay at a hotel from 3pm to 11am? I can check it, go to a business meeting, then go to a date, and stay at my room a couple of hours, if I chose to do so. I doubt any hotel cares if you stay or not, especially now.
Old Aug 7, 20, 12:27 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hyedmd View Post
The way I read it is that OP is willing to check in and stay some time. Does Marriott say you have to stay at a hotel from 3pm to 11am? I can check it, go to a business meeting, then go to a date, and stay at my room a couple of hours, if I chose to do so. I doubt any hotel cares if you stay or not, especially now.
There's no bed check, but the rules say that you must actually appear at the hotel in person. How much time you actually spend in your room or on the property doesn't matter and isn't monitored.
Old Aug 7, 20, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The way I read it is that OP is willing to check in and stay some time.
I don't see any comment by OP supporting that conclusion.
Does Marriott say you have to stay at a hotel from 3pm to 11am? I can check it, go to a business meeting, then go to a date, and stay at my room a couple of hours, if I chose to do so. I doubt any hotel cares if you stay or not, especially now.
The hotel doesn't care how long you stay, but the rules require that the guest be personally present. Even with online check-in and digital key, the hotel will know if the door was opened. And in my experience, this rule is enforced pretty consistently. Hotels don't want to give points if they don't have to.
MSPeconomist and anteater like this.
Old Aug 7, 20, 6:39 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass holder and A List Preferred. Marriott Platinum
The missus and I have been mattress running for the last few weekends, good excuse to travel around in the car (especially with 5x per dollar with gas on the Chase sapphire) and explore parks and greenery. Aiming for Platinum for a few trips in 2021 (fingers crossed it still can work up)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: