Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Need additional nights to maintain status

Need additional nights to maintain status

Old Nov 28, 18, 10:51 pm
mnn

Thanks for your response here. I'm similar to musicgal in that I'm trying to book an extended period of time (10-15 days) at a category 1 Marriott hotel to maintain my platinum status. I was planning to book with points since I have quite a large surplus. Each 5 nights is around 30k points (inc the 5th night free).

At this particular hotel, I was planning on staying at least the first night there. I actually didn't think there'd be a danger of the hotel determining whether or not I continued to stay. Is this actually a problem? I suppose I could leave "luggage" or "stuff" for the extended period. But in my case, it would actually be difficult for me to go back to the hotel to check out. Do you think there's a high risk here? Have you heard of anyone doing this and it not working out? Thanks!
Old Nov 28, 18, 11:08 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Welcome to FlyerTalk, mnn!
Old Nov 29, 18, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mnn View Post
Thanks for your response here. I'm similar to musicgal in that I'm trying to book an extended period of time (10-15 days) at a category 1 Marriott hotel to maintain my platinum status. I was planning to book with points since I have quite a large surplus. Each 5 nights is around 30k points (inc the 5th night free).

At this particular hotel, I was planning on staying at least the first night there. I actually didn't think there'd be a danger of the hotel determining whether or not I continued to stay. Is this actually a problem? I suppose I could leave "luggage" or "stuff" for the extended period. But in my case, it would actually be difficult for me to go back to the hotel to check out. Do you think there's a high risk here? Have you heard of anyone doing this and it not working out? Thanks!
Welcome to FT!

If it was me, I would be up front with the hotel and tell them exactly what Iím doing. (Iím assuming youíre not in China where they seem to have different rules.)

I can think of 3 specific instances where I told the hotel what I was doing and got my stay credits. First was in Toronto where I had one night booked for a mattress run. Told the hotel I wouldnít be sleeping/using the room and could I have stay credit and Green Choice pts. The manager agreed. Second was in Ottawa where I had multiple rooms booked on very cheap rate. Hotel was sold out and I told them they could have their rooms back as long as I would get my stay credit. Hotel agreed. Third instance was in Dubai where I needed a room for 4 nights. Since I was booking with points, I booked 5 nights (5th night free). When I checked out after the 4th night, I asked the front desk to process my check out the following day so I would get 5 night credits. They agreed.

In all instances, I physically checked in. Got all my night credits.

Good luck!
Old Nov 29, 18, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by mnn View Post

Yes, there have been reports of people being checked out (and belongings disposed of) when it was determined the room had been abandoned. And there have been more reports about those that got all their credit. FT's term YMMV (your mileage may vary) applies to just about everything. Doing a 15-day stay might be trickier than 2 or 3-day stays. Letting the property know that you are going for status may get you what you want, especially if they are allowed to sell your room again. Using points will not get them double revenue but could be enticing to them. It may also get them into so trouble so please don't post if they go for it.
Old Nov 29, 18, 8:10 am
mnn

Thanks margarita girl and RogerD408 for your responses! I'll reach out to the hotel and see what they say. Thanks!
margarita girl likes this.
Old Nov 29, 18, 11:16 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by musicgal View Post
HI. I am looking at reserving a 5-night award stay at a category 1 Marriott in order to get my total nights up to 50, for platinum status. I realize I have to check-in in person. Do I have to actually stay at the hotel? I'm fine with staying the first night, if necessary, but would prefer not to. It's about a 3 hour drive from where I live, but it's the cheapest way for me to get these last few nights.
What hotel and what nights? I might be available to room-set.
Old Nov 29, 18, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Three hours seems like a lot, and twice! Maybe split it into two trips, one for 2 nites at the cat 1 hotel 3 hours away. You check in, muss the bed and take a shower and then be awol for the second nite after housekeeping has done up the room so you don't have to go back. And then one for 3 nites at the cat 2 closer to home that you can monitor better.
Old Nov 30, 18, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Old Hickory View Post
What hotel and what nights? I might be available to room-set.
Thank you for your offer! The hotel is in south Georgia, so a bit far for you I think. But, I am working on another solution.
I think Iíll be able to work this out (I hope).
Old Nov 30, 18, 5:47 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by escapefromphl View Post
Did you make your 50 night choice benefit selection?
  • 5 elite night credits
  • 5 Suite Night Awards
  • Gift Silver Elite status
  • $100 gift to UNICEF
  • 40% of the price of a Marriott-branded bed
Also did your annual birthday night post?
I myself was 5 nights short of qualifying for Platinum Premier this year, exactly 5 nights. Was good to realize that I haven't taken my 50 nights choice benefit yet and not have to bother doing some weekend getaways last minute
Old Nov 30, 18, 5:52 pm

Thank you, everyone, for your advice, suggestions, and offers! I have scheduled a rewarding event meeting (first one ever) for Tuesday at a Fairfield Inn that’s 30 minutes from where I live. My hubby and I will actually go there and work on planning our spring trip to Paris, where we’re staying at a Renaissance for a week, which is the whole reason I’d like to get to Platinum.
I will still plan on a 5-night stay on points later in the month, perhaps splitting it between a cat 1 and a cat 2, or just 5 nights at the nearby cat 2, to get the nights I need, just in case the nights from the meeting don’t post in time.

I really appreciate everyone's advice. I come over here to get info I need, but rarely post. It’s so helpful that people here are willing to share their experience and suggestions.
Old Aug 4, 20, 8:22 am

12 more nights to Titanium

Does anyone know some cheap hotels I can booked in certain states that I can check in online to get my 75 nights requirement for Titanium status for next year?
i only need 12 more nights.
Old Aug 4, 20, 8:26 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott. Hyatt. WN. National. Avis.
I mean just about any FI in the midwest (Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, etc) is going to be cheap.
Old Aug 4, 20, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Anh5oi View Post
Does anyone know some cheap hotels I can booked in certain states that I can check in online to get my 75 nights requirement for Titanium status for next year?
Remember that you must show up and check in personally for the nights to count.
Old Aug 4, 20, 9:15 am
formerly damnyourefine

Programs: SPG100, United GS, HA P70K
Originally Posted by Anh5oi View Post
The intended action here violates the program T&Cís.

If you want to be Titanium, please earn it.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 4, 20, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Some hotels here in Asia (Thailand, Bali) are certainly cheap but the question is how low you're expecting prices to be?

$40-$50 is still the minimum for a branded hotel after tax.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: