Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Question: Big Fire, Few Hotels, Marriott Says "Your Reservation Will Be Honored."

Question: Big Fire, Few Hotels, Marriott Says "Your Reservation Will Be Honored."

Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well, at least now you know & can plan accordingly.

Cheers.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
Just got a cancellation email from Marriott which I didn't initiate. Not unexpected, certainly, but kind of impersonal.
You might want to confirm that cancellation. Although there is a very valid reason for it, others have reported mysterious cancellations popping up and MPG reporting it was initiated by the member when it wasn't. From what I've been seeing it's not an area you want to be in unless absolutely required.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
Just got a cancellation email from Marriott which I didn't initiate. Not unexpected, certainly, but kind of impersonal.
Wow, that is really terrible.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
...but I find it hard to believe they would kick someone out in order to honor our reservation, not to mention we have no desire to displace someone who already lost their home in the fire...
Just to add this should anyone pull the thread up in the future should another storm/fire/disaster happen... Having been a few places after the storm, beyond the displaced families that might be staying in the hotel I have run into hotel and rental car reservations canceled because the rooms/cars were needed for FEMA and utility workers. At one hotel my reservation was honored because I was PP at the time but the desk clerk told me most reservations were canceled due to out of state electrical workers needing the rooms and more than once there was no rental car available when I got there, with reservation, because FEMA workers had all the cars.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RogerD408
You might want to confirm that cancellation. Although there is a very valid reason for it, others have reported mysterious cancellations popping up and MPG reporting it was initiated by the member when it wasn't. From what I've been seeing it's not an area you want to be in unless absolutely required.
Good advice; I already emailed Marriott customer service regarding this, because both of my reservations are still showing as valid and active on Marriott.com. Go figure.

Basically I'm not expecting the situation to change, and in any case, it's not a total disaster, as we were planning to drive anyway, so it's not like we had paid for flights or whatever. As I stated upthread, we don't have any desire to displace someone who has already lost their house, and I'm not impugning malice or any such thing, but at the very least I think Marriott ought to be proactive in contacting a future guest to tell them "we're sorry, but we can't do this..."

We'll see what they have to say. I'm not really expecting a response to my email, but if my reservations still show as valid after a couple of days, I'll call them.

Everyone is having a very hard time up there, it is so sorrowful and awful. Sacramento obviously views PG&E as too big to fail, so everyone else will have to suck it up. I'm sure there are many up there who were uninsured or underinsured. Lots of retirees, people in what should be their golden years.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

deal directly with hotels (in house reservations and or managers) in the area
karenkay likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Having gone to Chico, I get a lot of posts on FB about the area. You haven't stated your reason for visiting (and you don't need to), but given how things have progressed there, I'd rethink going to the area. The smoke is reaching all the way down to the SF bay area over a hundred miles away. I was in Lake Tahoe during one of their fires and the only time I could breathe comfortably was in the shower. Although there was no threat to where I was, staying was not desirable (now had the slots been paying off better, maybe a different answer). But again, unless you have an urgent need to be in the area, please rethink and maybe leave the local resources for the locals and responders. You shouldn't have any problems cancelling your rez and getting a full refund.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Just a brief update. I had no response from Marriott, so I called them. Rep said that RogerD408 was correct, the cancellation was spurious and a "mistake by the system." Property says reservations are probably OK, but of course I will check with them as the time grows closer. Thanks for all the replies! The collective experience on FT shines again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.