Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Winter Haven Autograph Collection, Miami, Florida [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Has anybody stayed at the Winter Haven Autograph Collection? Staying there Nove 23, 24 before departing on cruise. Neighborhood? Hotel? Suggestions and advice are always welcome.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I have stayed there once, a few years back. Wasn't impressed with the hotel at all. Felt like a glorified Four Points on the beach. The rooms were small and old. I was Plat at the time and received no upgrade.

The area is nice enough and, of course, you're right next to the beach if that's your thing.

-RM
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:20 am

LOL you are on Ocean Drive in SOBE. I hope you looked at the area before you booked. It will be loud until very late in the AM. Avoid ALL places to eat IMHO on Lincoln Road and Ocean Drive. Tourist Traps.

Eat at Joe's to go to get the same menu as Joe's Stonecrab. They actually have excellent Fried Chicken and breakfast, but only the locals know that.

Tons of great places to eat within walking distance. The boardwalk is very nice. Start your Morning walking the boardwalk early heading south toward the Southe pointe pier. Also a great spot to see the cruise ships sail by at sunset.

La Ventana Colombian Restaurant
Cibo Wine Bar South Beach (cheaper option- Chain but good food/price for location)
Las Olas Cafe (very cheap Cuban food where locals eat) Good for a snack or lunch.

Hotel shows its age and rooms are very small (old building) and there aren't suites to upgrade, but the location is right across street from the Ocean and in the heart of SOBE. I found the free breakfast offering for Plat's to be very limited.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
It’s Ocean Drive, which is either a plus or a minus depending on how close to the south beach hustle and bustle you want to be. Staff is friendly, rooms aren’t great but aren’t terrible for the area which is mostly older Art Deco buildings.

Miami Beach in general isn’t great for getting to the Port of Miami since you have to come all the way back to Miami to go back out to Dodge Island where the cruise terminals are. For my last cruise I opted for the JW Marriott Marquis on points but I wasn’t in town long.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:51 pm

I stayed there last November and had a good stay. They gave me a quiet room in back corner top floor. Bike use and beach chairs are included. Lots to see and do within a few blocks. The Cuban restaurant next door (I believe in a Marriott vacations condo) is pretty good. There is a roof top area where you can sit and have a drink enjoying view (supply your own).
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

thank you!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Bump, I booked this for thanksgiving weekend. Is there any anything much better for 35k points from Marriott that is this close to the beach?
Old Nov 27, 2020, 4:18 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Anyone have a more recent update for this location. I'm heading there on the 2nd week of December for 3 nights. I opted to select this spot over the Royal Palm which is my usual spot when I'm in SoBe. Decided to select the rooftop Queen with Balcony over the Royal's Studio/Oceanfront rooms(suites) because I've just not been that impressed with the balconies at the Royal.

Thanks in advance for feedback.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 5:10 am

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Anyone have a more recent update for this location. I'm heading there on the 2nd week of December for 3 nights. I opted to select this spot over the Royal Palm which is my usual spot when I'm in SoBe. Decided to select the rooftop Queen with Balcony over the Royal's Studio/Oceanfront rooms(suites) because I've just not been that impressed with the balconies at the Royal.

Hi Zacnlinc - I stayed at that hotel several times, even before it joined Marriott. My last stay was a year ago and I have only words of praise.
Marriott benefits are honoured. You will be happy there. The location could not be more convenient.
You are likely aware that this Art Deco style building comes with smaller rooms, all well maintained.
I wish I could go back now. Living in Canada, we can't now, at least not easily for long weekend.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Vaclav
Hi Zacnlinc - I stayed at that hotel several times, even before it joined Marriott. My last stay was a year ago and I have only words of praise.
Marriott benefits are honoured. You will be happy there. The location could not be more convenient.
You are likely aware that this Art Deco style building comes with smaller rooms, all well maintained.
I wish I could go back now. Living in Canada, we can't now, at least not easily for long weekend.
Thanks Vaclav... Much appreciate your input and advice.

I'm willing to explore my options there in South Beach for sure. According to the map of the area, this location will be right in the middle of the area I tend to gravitate to anyway. That nightly walk up the beach towards the Royal just may be missed this time.
Vaclav likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I'm willing to explore my options there in South Beach for sure. According to the map of the area, this location will be right in the middle of the area I tend to gravitate to anyway. That nightly walk up the beach towards the Royal just may be missed this time.
Walk up to the Royal for a drink and back?

David
Old Nov 28, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Aeroplan, Marriott Titanium (LT Platinum), HH Diamond

I was there about a year ago and was impressed with the staff. They were super friendly and helpful.

The hotel was built in 1939 but they've done a pretty good job modernizing things.I agree with Vaclav that the location is great. It looks like you've booked one of the nicest rooms so I'm sure you'll have a great stay.

Originally Posted by Vaclav
Well, you could go for a long weekend, but you'd have to quarantine for 2 weeks when you got back.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Well, you could go for a long weekend, but you'd have to quarantine for 2 weeks when you got back.
Yes that is the complication to avoid.
yule_boy likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 5:37 pm

Thanks Vaclav and yule_boy . Just returning from Winter Haven and you both were correct regarding the expected stay to be had.

It was a bonus too that Ocean Dr. is closed from 5th -15th. An excellent pedestrian area that allowed for ample social distancing for the few people (a good number that was maskless) I encountered.

My room, 618 was perfect once I got used to the size of it. But the private deck and the partial ocean view made up for everything. Upon checking in, I inquired about the ocean view rooms and the clerk advised me not to give up the room just for the ocean view. She said that no one was going to be in 619 during my stay and she's not seen anyone on the rooftop terrace for the past few days. So, with that, I stayed with my selection and am glad I did.

I only hear three people on the rooftop and they just came up for the view and left after 5 mins. I ended up treating the entire rooftop as my own at times. My only wish/suggestion for the room is that they offered maybe lighting for the deck. Using the room light sufficed, but it would have been better ambiance to have subdued lighting of some sort on the deck for the evenings. I plan to bring a couple of solar-powered lights with me next time. I truly enjoyed my stay even though it was during this pandemic and I was in the thick of it all working with COVID-19 screenings as a representative from my employer.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 2:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Hotel states that I must select points and cannot have F&B credit or breakfast choice despite F&B outlet being open 7 am to 11 pm... is this fair play at this point in the pandemic? I can’t remember.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.