FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status (General Discussion) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1939726-marriott-bonvoy-gold-elite-status-general-discussion.html)

Scott Kiwi Nov 9, 2018 8:49 am

Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status (General Discussion)

First, forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place. My question is what can I expect as a Gold Elite member at Marriott/SPG hotels. I know that many of you are Platinum, but I am not Just new to the Gold.
When I was silver, the best I could expect was a thank you at check-in for being a member of the program.. Will Gold Level be any different? I am not asking what the manual says, but what actual members here have experienced. Thank You.

MSPeconomist Nov 9, 2018 8:53 am

Legacy SPG Gold meant "enhanced" rooms in the same category as what was booked, meaning higher floor, better view, sometimes newly renovated rooms if available at check in. I would generally expect legacy Starwood brand hotels to continue to do this. YMMV.

LearningToFly Nov 9, 2018 9:11 am

As a SPG Gold, I often got a better category room and a free breakfast. Since the merge though, it did not happen.

Horace Nov 9, 2018 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Scott Kiwi (Post 30411751)
First, forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place. My question is what can I expect as a Gold Elite member at Marriott/SPG hotels. I know that many of you are Platinum, but I am not Just new to the Gold.
When I was silver, the best I could expect was a thank you at check-in for being a member of the program.. Will Gold Level be any different? I am not asking what the manual says, but what actual members here have experienced. Thank You.

Looking at the current Gold Elite tier from the perspective of the old Marriott Rewards program (before August 18, 2018), Gold Elite is one of the new names for old Silver Elite.

Silver Elite with 10-24 nights became Silver Elite. Silver Elite with 25-49 nights become Gold Elite.

At Marriott legacy properties, I would not expect anything more form current Gold Elite than from Silver Elite before August 18.

Meaningful recognition of Elite status begins with Platinum (welcome gift / breakfast / lounge / higher probability of an upgrade). It takes 50 nights (or 35 actual nights and 15 nights from a credit card). If you travel and can concentrate on Marriott's 29 participating brands for business and pleasure, it can be an achievable goal. It's not just for road warriors.

In another thread, I posted that it seems there are now two real tiers in the loyalty program: Platinum and Not Platinum.

Scott Kiwi Nov 9, 2018 10:49 am

Thanks to all for the information. I am surprised that Gold Elite is just Silver Elite with a shinier name!

GoPhils Nov 9, 2018 11:19 am

While Gold isn't worth much, I'd argue it's better than Silver in the old program. You do get 25% bonus points for one . Then 2PM late checkout and enhanced rooms based on availability, although haven't heard what the success rate on those has been in the new program.

Horace Nov 9, 2018 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Scott Kiwi (Post 30412171)
Thanks to all for the information. I am surprised that Gold Elite is just Silver Elite with a shinier name!

Originally Posted by GoPhils (Post 30412281)
While Gold isn't worth much, I'd argue it's better than Silver in the old program. You do get 25% bonus points for one . Then 2PM late checkout and enhanced rooms based on availability, although haven't heard what the success rate on those has been in the new program.

And I would agree that current Gold Elite has additional benefits over old Silver Elite and current Silver Elite. At each published tier — Member, Silver Elite, Gold Elite, Platinum Elite, Platinum Premier Elite, and Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador — additional benefits kick in.

My response to question that the OP posed — what to "expect as a Gold Elite member at Marriott/SPG hotels" — was that recognition and benefits at hotels takes a jump at the Platinum Elite level.

If someone is reading hotel reviews at Marriott.com or TripAdvisor, and reviews mention lounge access or breakfast because of being Gold, those reviews are almost certainly from stays before August 18. The old Gold Elite is the current Platinum Elite (with some modifications, including a welcome gift, which was not part of Gold Elite in the old Rewards program).

GoPhils Nov 9, 2018 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Horace (Post 30412478)
And I would agree that current Gold Elite has additional benefits over old Silver Elite and current Silver Elite. At each published tier — Member, Silver Elite, Gold Elite, Platinum Elite, Platinum Premier Elite, and Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador — additional benefits kick in.

My response to question that the OP posed — what to "expect as a Gold Elite member at Marriott/SPG hotels" — was that recognition and benefits at hotels takes a jump at the Platinum Elite level.

If someone is reading hotel reviews at Marriott.com or TripAdvisor, and reviews mention lounge access or breakfast because of being Gold, those reviews are almost certainly from stays before August 18. The old Gold Elite is the current Platinum Elite (with some modifications, including a welcome gift, which was not part of Gold Elite in the old Rewards program).

You also said that “Gold Elite is one of the new names for old Silver Elite,” which while technically true doesn’t really explain that it’s still better.

hindolio Nov 9, 2018 11:38 pm

Gold member with a few recent stays here, all one nighters. My limited experience is as follows:
  • 1 Marriott paid stay, requested upgrade and received M Club access room (executive lounge)
  • 3 Courtyard stays on points, no upgrades, requested 2 pm late check outs received, one comped parking without asking for it
  • 1 Residence Inn stay on points, no upgrades, requested 2 pm late check out received
  • 2 Sheraton stays on points, both automatic upgraded rooms (but club lounge access denied), 2 pm late check out received
  • 1 Tribute Portfolio stay on points, no upgrades, requested 2 pm late check out received
As you can see from my limited experience, the 2 pm late check out requests have all been granted. Both Sheraton stays were at the same hotel, so it may just be that Sheraton that automatically upgraded my room. As a Gold, I don't expect upgrades at all so they are nice when received.

LAX Nov 18, 2018 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by hindolio (Post 30414167)
Gold member with a few recent stays here, all one nighters. My limited experience is as follows:
  • 1 Marriott paid stay, requested upgrade and received M Club access room (executive lounge)
  • 3 Courtyard stays on points, no upgrades, requested 2 pm late check outs received, one comped parking without asking for it
  • 1 Residence Inn stay on points, no upgrades, requested 2 pm late check out received
  • 2 Sheraton stays on points, both automatic upgraded rooms (but club lounge access denied), 2 pm late check out received
  • 1 Tribute Portfolio stay on points, no upgrades, requested 2 pm late check out received
As you can see from my limited experience, the 2 pm late check out requests have all been granted. Both Sheraton stays were at the same hotel, so it may just be that Sheraton that automatically upgraded my room. As a Gold, I don't expect upgrades at all so they are nice when received.

Is complimentary parking (at properties that normally charge it) an unpublished benefit for Gold Elites? I recently stayed at a 4 Points and was offered complimentary parking. It was a pleasant surprise as I didn't know it's an available benefit. I was also offered 2PM late check-out, which I accepted, but ended up not needing it.

LAX

hindolio Nov 18, 2018 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by LAX (Post 30443493)
Is complimentary parking (at properties that normally charge it) an unpublished benefit for Gold Elites? I recently stayed at a 4 Points and was offered complimentary parking. It was a pleasant surprise as I didn't know it's an available benefit. I was also offered 2PM late check-out, which I accepted, but ended up not needing it.

LAX

I don't think complimentary parking is freely offered for Gold members. I don't think it's normally offered to Platinum elites either, but I may be wrong. I can recall being offered complimentary parking once recently but only because I had issues my room.

chebert999 Nov 18, 2018 11:17 pm

The only real pri iledge for me is the 2PM checkout. The "upgrades" have only been same room type on a higher floor but that's not an upgrade for me.

EdofFX Nov 19, 2018 6:06 am

After the merger, the only meaningful benefit for Gold is the 2 pm late checkout (not guaranteed, but likely), and the 2 bottles of free water in the room. The rests are just peanuts.

MSPeconomist Nov 19, 2018 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by hindolio (Post 30414167)

What sort of room upgrades are you getting at the Sheraton? Club floor room but without lounge access? SPG always had a rule that if your were upgraded to a room type that carried additional privileges when booked, you were entitled to those same privileges as part of your upgrade.

hindolio Nov 19, 2018 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30447490)
What sort of room upgrades are you getting at the Sheraton? Club floor room but without lounge access? SPG always had a rule that if your were upgraded to a room type that carried additional privileges when booked, you were entitled to those same privileges as part of your upgrade.

I see I may have misspoke. I was upgraded to a larger room, but I do not believe it was a club lounge room. When I asked for club lounge access, I was denied.