Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Reuters: Marriott Revenue slips [again]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM

While the hospitality business booms worldwide, Marriott reports declining revenue (after declines in the previous quarter)
Nov 5 (Reuters) - U.S. hotel chain Marriott International Inc's <MAR.O> quarterly revenue slipped on Monday, as fewer people booked its rooms across the world. The company's revenue fell to $5.05 billion in the third quarter from $5.08 billion a year earlier. Net income dropped to $483 million in the quarter ended Sept. 30 from $485 million. [nPn8JgK7ma]

While these aren't massive declines, you have to look at them against the backdrop of the fastest growing global economy and hospitality industry in over a decade. Newsflash: treating your best customers like crap is not an effective long-term strategy. Nor are poorly planned and executed IT overhauls.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I don't think it's going to reverse that trend in Q4 either
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I think next quarter will be even worse as they continue to drop the ball with their best customers. No silver lining in sight.
remymartin and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hasn't the CEO been saying that things are going well?
CCIE_Flyer likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:10 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

3Q2018 Earnings Press Release

For the 2018 fourth quarter, Marriott expects comparable systemwide RevPAR on a constant dollar basis in North America will increase roughly 1 percent, reflecting an estimated 110-basis-point headwind to last year's hurricane relief efforts. Compared to the estimate the company provided on August 6, this fourth quarter RevPAR guidance for North America reflects some uncertainty related to transient demand weakness the industry experienced in September. The company expects fourth quarter comparable systemwide RevPAR on a constant dollar basis will increase 5 to 6 percent outside North America and roughly 2 percent worldwide.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I'd like to read the 10Q but the report doesn't look as bad as I expected. Basically, franchise fees are up, EBITDA is up, gross revenue is at the high end of guidance, etc.

Marriott International Reports Third Quarter 2018 Results | Marriott News Center

Stock dropped after market based on projections. It does seem like they had a problem with reduced bookings but increased REVPAR. I'll be interested if the reports attributes any of the reduced bookings to the website debacle,
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
MAR is plummeting after hours. Down 6.5% right now.
remymartin likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Marriott International Reports Third Quarter 2018 Results Marriott News Center

"HIGHLIGHTS
  • Third quarter reported diluted EPS totaled $1.38, a 7 percent increase from prior year results. Third quarter adjusted diluted EPS totaled $1.70, a 62 percent increase over third quarter 2017 adjusted results. Adjusted results exclude merger-relatedadjustments, cost reimbursement revenue, and reimbursed expenses;
  • During the 2018 third quarter, EPS included $0.26 from gains on asset sales ($71 million pretax reflected in Gains and other income, net and Equity in earnings);
  • Third quarter 2018 comparable systemwide constant dollar RevPAR rose 1.9 percent worldwide, 5.4 percent outside North America and 0.6 percent in North America;
  • The company added more than 18,000 rooms during the third quarter, including over 1,500 rooms converted from competitor brands and approximately 10,000 rooms in international markets;
  • At quarter-end, Marriott’s worldwide development pipeline increased to roughly 471,000 rooms, including nearly 50,000 rooms approved, but not yet subject to signed contracts;
  • Third quarter reported net income totaled $483 million, flat compared to prior year results. Third quarter adjusted net income totaled $598 million, a 51 percent increase over prior year adjusted results;
  • Adjusted earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) totaled $900 million in the quarter, a 12 percent increase over third quarter 2017 adjusted EBITDA. Third quarter 2018 gross fee revenues totaled $932 million, a 13 percent increase from prior year gross fee revenues;
  • Marriott repurchased 6.7 million shares of the company’s common stock for $841 million during the third quarter. Year-to-date through November 5, the company has repurchased 20.8 million shares for $2.7 billion"
More details in the press release. I'm not a stock tech person, so will leave it all up to you to parse through the above or read the press release for more details.

Cheers
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Interesting data ... clear decreases in occupancy in a booming economy although it may not be significant. On the other hand, clear increase in REVPAR.

Wish I could list to the conference call tomorrow ....

https://marriott.gcs-web.com/static-...a-d97d1752c578
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:56 pm

• During the 2018 third quarter, EPS included $0.26 from gains on asset sales ($71 million pretax reflected in Gains and other income, net and Equity in earnings);
This distorts the results FWIW.

Also interesting that the stock is 7 dollars above the 52 week low. Most shares in the buyback appear to be above the current price so those are losers too and have artificially elevated the price.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Awesome. Maybe they will finally realize they are screwing up the program.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by barracuda93
Maybe they will finally realize they are screwing up the program.
That was deliberate and calculated. If revenue and share price take a hit, maybe they will realize that screwing up the program has financial consequences.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I have been intentionally diverting business away from Marriott as a result of their horrific management of the merger. The second their website fails me I immediately move on to Hilton. No second chances. I estimate that Marriott has lost about $3K in business form me in the past three months as a result of their ineptitude.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I get a kick out of this line:

On August 18, we integrated our loyalty programs creating one powerful, unified program, allowing our 120 million members to earn, book, and redeem across more than 6,700 hotels.
Um yeah, when the system is working--a rare event since August 18.

Looking at the tape, the revenue miss only accounted for part of the hit on the AH stock price. The stock really dropped when the lowered guidance hit the wires. Markets hate lowered guidance.....
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
I wish they could sell spg back to hyatt for gaining revenue, lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.