Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott has cancelled the Platinum Waiver for cancellations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier

Not only has Marriott destroyed all facets of their customer service call center, I just learned that they will NO LONGER offer waivers for Platinum Premiers who need to cancel rooms. My reservation is for tomorrow and they said they would charge me for the cancellation.

I am in the process of getting a Hilton status match (after 18 years of Marriott Platinum) and am doing something about this.

They have, simply, screwed up all of their customer service. They used to be so good! Now they suck.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: Marriott LTS
Originally Posted by cardchak
Not only has Marriott destroyed all facets of their customer service call center, I just learned that they will NO LONGER offer waivers for Platinum Premiers who need to cancel rooms. My reservation is for tomorrow and they said they would charge me for the cancellation.

I am in the process of getting a Hilton status match (after 18 years of Marriott Platinum) and am doing something about this.

They have, simply, screwed up all of their customer service. They used to be so good! Now they suck.
Change your reservation to a later date- a few weeks from now and then cancel the reservation. I have done this many times and avoided a penalty - this was pre-merger of course.
CO-PLAT, KRSW, Tanic and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
Was there ever actually a PP waiver? I thought sometimes hotels would allow for late cancellations, but at their discretion... I've done it and it was nice to have the platinum reservation line actually negotiate that with the hotel sometimes. But never expected it as guaranteed.

Now another big problem is the 3 day cancellation window that a lot of hotels are moving/have moved to. Fine if on a work trip as I will be reimbursed if issues with travel pop up. Personal travel - moving it more and more away from marriott.

Does Hilton Diamond mean you get cancellation fees waived? That's easy to get with the Aspire Card which I am planning to get by years end to maximize the per calendar year airline credit.
KRSW likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hyatt gives Globs additional time to cancel most reservations that aren't nonrefundable.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United LT Silver
Originally Posted by goldenbear
Was there ever actually a PP waiver? I thought sometimes hotels would allow for late cancellations, but at their discretion... I've done it and it was nice to have the platinum reservation line actually negotiate that with the hotel sometimes. But never expected it as guaranteed..
I, too, thought it was at the hotel's discretion, as the rep would always call the hotel to ask. But on a recent call, the rep said "since you're platinum, no problem" so I don't know. It's definitely come in handy. I try not to abuse it, but being on the road for the last seven months straight, I needed to do it a few times. But, can also confirm that editing the date to a later time works (think you need to do it in the app, since online it says "In progress". Didn't ultimately cancel it later, but was able to move it back a day.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Are you referring to non-refundable reservations? Never thought it could be cancelled without penalties.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by barracuda93
Are you referring to non-refundable reservations? Never thought it could be cancelled without penalties.
the rules say it isnt allowed - but if you have status they will make exceptions as a courtesy. One time I booked at property 'x' that had a similar name to property 'y' that was all the way across the city - another time my travel plans got changed because of a hurricane headed for town. ETC. All on pre-paid 'non refundable' bookings.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:47 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Call the hotel or change the date. Same as it ever was.
DJ_Iceman and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:47 pm

I do this all the time. Normally I book a hotel in the morning to stay at and sometimes my schedule changes for work. Today I booked a hotel at 11am. I called my ambassador at 7pm and told her I had to cancel. No questions asked. I think though that is a huge luxury to have with ambassador status.
UA-NYC and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is also a part of most major corporate contracts. Those typically include "day of"" cancellations at a reasonable hour.

It is one of those things which chains monitor closely as it has a substantial cost at properties which are unlikely to resell the room but a substantial benefit at properties which have a high demand by walk-up customers and can resell the room at closer to rack rate prices.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
... so, the consensus then is OP is Chicken Little?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by cardchak

Given this was not a stated benefit to begin with but often a courtesy extended by some properties, you are ready to dump the entire program because one property chooses to follow the rules? Hmmm

I can see (and have done this) getting confused between benefits of different programs and especially now that MPG has shuffled the cards greatly and many things are different from what we've been used to. Fortunately, there are still other programs to pick up and if they work better (or not) for you, make the jump and don't look back. Your departure will have zero effect on MR.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Any cancellation waiver is strictly done as a courtesy. Typically the agent needs to call the property to verity whether exception can be made, which in my case they have done so many times as a courtesy

FWIW, Hilton would charge OP as well, so grass is not greener on the other side.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:11 pm

Had a long conversation with my ambassador today. I called in to make sure I wasn't going to get charged for a stay that I had to cancel after the 3 day cancellation window.

My ambassador told me as long as I cancel before 3pm on the day of my reservation I will not be charged. I then asked her if I can cancel online or I have to call her. She said all I have to do is cancel online and if I have any issues just to give her a call? I then asked her again if she can double check to see if I am going to be charged for the stay and she said I was not!

This can't be right! I read these post's every single day on flyertalk and nobody has brought this up!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Hyatt gives Globs additional time to cancel most reservations that aren't nonrefundable.
Hyatt Explorists also get additional time to cancel most reservations that aren't non-refundable. Even Discoverists (a status level akin to Marriott Silver/SPG Gold from prior years) may get additional time for that IIRC.

Given how much worse Marriott has been making hotel cancellation terms for customers on average, giving better cancellation terms to elite status customers would be nice. But Marriott and its hotels have gotten extra-greedy in this environment, and customers are the casualty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.