Is There a Deadline to Merge Accounts?

Old Nov 1, 18, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Is There a Deadline to Merge Accounts?

I still have not combined my accounts.
Last month I hit 500 nights with SPG (10+ years) and I have another 106 nights with Marriott.There is still no recognition of me being LifeTime Platinum on the SPG website.
Is there a reason I should combine my accounts now? Is there a deadline when I must combine accounts?
Old Nov 1, 18, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 360guy View Post
I still have not combined my accounts.
Last month I hit 500 nights with SPG (10+ years) and I have another 106 nights with Marriott.There is still no recognition of me being LifeTime Platinum on the SPG website.
Is there a reason I should combine my accounts now? Is there a deadline when I must combine accounts?
There's no stated deadline that I've heard of yet. You can wait at least until the very end of 2018. Marriott isn't looking ahead much further (ie, supposedly the three separate programs will really be gone and get one new name as of Jan 1, 2019, but I'm beginning to trouble believing that given how badly the logistics of this merger are going so far).
Old Nov 1, 18, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Technically the DL is 12/31/18. FWIW - given how badly the IT integration is going I'd do it before then.

Cheers.
Old Nov 1, 18, 6:03 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
Technically the DL is 12/31/18. FWIW - given how badly the IT integration is going I'd do it before then.

Cheers.
What happens at deadline? Do they force merge the accounts ?
Old Nov 1, 18, 6:23 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by HMPS View Post
They'll probably pick the one with the least (or most) activity and close it.
Old Nov 1, 18, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat/1.5MM, SPG P100, Marriott LTP(P, coming to you in Jan '19), Hertz Prez, CBP GE, et al
Originally Posted by HMPS View Post
Great question - and one that I'm not sure has been directly addressed by Marriott or any of the Lurkers. As has been suggested by others, this might be possible (to the extent that anything is possible with this IT group) with linked accounts. But otherwise I'd be concerned about the possibility of SPG account balances just being killed off at some point down the line (although 31 Dec would seem a bit draconian).
Old Nov 1, 18, 6:34 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer View Post
(although 31 Dec would seem a bit draconian).
Why reward procrastination? They gave people plenty of time.
Old Nov 1, 18, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat/1.5MM, SPG P100, Marriott LTP(P, coming to you in Jan '19), Hertz Prez, CBP GE, et al
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Sure, but for the folks who dust off their accounts for the occasional stay, it might generate some ill will. My main point in this type of discussion is just that anyone assuming Marriott IT will/will be able to force merge their accounts might be in for disappointment. Mike vs. Michael, old address vs. new - etc.
Old Nov 1, 18, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by 360guy View Post
There is still no recognition of me being LifeTime Platinum on the SPG website.
With the combination of programs and retirement of the SPG technology, I'm pretty sure the periodic process that would recognize SPG LT PLT's has been retired. The "SPG website" is in name only - it's Marriott's website with logos/colors replaced.

Any type of cleanup/qualifications due to legacy programs rules will happen manually at the end of the year. At best.
Old Nov 1, 18, 11:35 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
I haven't merged mines not because I have been procrastinating, but due to reading about horrible stories after merging related to Marriott's IT issues. I have been waiting for those issues to be worked out before I try. I actually have a relatively small balance in each account, so if I am hesitant, I can't imagine those with much more at stake would be eager to merge theirs.

LAX
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 2, 18, 12:13 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Gold, National EE, Marriott PE, AmEx Plat
So this thread got me to finally merge my accounts. My new balance is a simple addition of my Marriott and SPG balances; I thought SPG points were supposed to transfer at some sort of an exchange ratio. Maybe I misread it but whatever. I switched back to Hilton this year, anyway.

Last edited by RJPA; Nov 2, 18 at 12:22 am
Old Nov 2, 18, 2:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
We are rewarding procrastination by continuing to book Marriott despite all of the issues they can't be bothered to fix.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 2, 18, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, AA EXP, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by RJPA View Post
So this thread got me to finally merge my accounts. My new balance is a simple addition of my Marriott and SPG balances; I thought SPG points were supposed to transfer at some sort of an exchange ratio. Maybe I misread it but whatever. I switched back to Hilton this year, anyway.
Your SPG points balance was tripled back in August.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 18, 6:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb , LCAH : Gold, Skywards : Gold
Imo there will be no deadline ...
the people who have multiple acc will just continue to have that if they not merging the accounts.

Not merging the account will just disadvantage members by losing 2nd account stay history n points.
Old Nov 2, 18, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, AA EXP, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by kaizen7 View Post
Imo there will be no deadline ...
the people who have multiple acc will just continue to have that if they not merging the accounts.

Not merging the account will just disadvantage members by losing 2nd account stay history n points.
Exactly. How can they arbitrarily shut down active accounts?
worldtraveller73 likes this.

Search this Thread