Is There a Deadline to Merge Accounts?

Old Nov 2, 18, 6:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I haven't merged because of the IT issues. I'm waiting for stuff with my acccounts really to settle down (versus being told by the CEO that this has already happened) before I attempt the merge.
Old Nov 2, 18, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

System is still unstable. I can only login sporadically this week. I could not login this morning. My guess is forced merger will be extended.
Old Nov 2, 18, 8:36 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Gold, National EE, Marriott PE, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post

Your SPG points balance was tripled back in August.
Thank you for the info.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Nov 2, 18, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
There's no stated deadline that I've heard of yet. You can wait at least until the very end of 2018. Marriott isn't looking ahead much further (ie, supposedly the three separate programs will really be gone and get one new name as of Jan 1, 2019, but I'm beginning to trouble believing that given how badly the logistics of this merger are going so far).
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
Technically the DL is 12/31/18. FWIW - given how badly the IT integration is going I'd do it before then.

Cheers.
Do I understand correctly — has it been stated that the combine accounts option going away at the end of 2018? I have not seen that; wondering if I missed it.
Old Nov 2, 18, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by 360guy View Post
I still have not combined my accounts.
Last month I hit 500 nights with SPG (10+ years) and I have another 106 nights with Marriott.There is still no recognition of me being LifeTime Platinum on the SPG website.
Is there a reason I should combine my accounts now? Is there a deadline when I must combine accounts?
It appears MR has dumped all the legacy MR & SPG rules for earning status and implemented the new MPG rules. The talk is they will be doing a sweep sometime in January to deal with those earning status on legacy rules and combined account rules with legacy limits (750 nights and 10 yrs Plat or 2M MR points). I am dreading the CF that will happen then, they've had plenty of practice with the merger.

As for combining, I would suggest if your account totals appear accurate, get a screenshot of each and any transaction history showing before moving forward. I chose my SPG account since my MR account had the dreaded leading zero (I believe that's been fixed). But I also wanted to indicate my preference for SPG over MR. There were issues trying to get everything to move in the right direction with the website insisting to move everything to MR regardless of the account I was logged into. Finally I used the link in the wiki for Combine Accounts thread and it all took fine. I too am waiting for the sweep that should take me to LTPP with 1234 LT nights and 25 years Plat credit and 2M MR LT points.

My guess is (since there has been no direction from MPG otherwise) that they will disable the combination function next year. And, since the rules state you can't have multiple accounts, you will need to call in to get it to happen. If they should determine you are deliberately using the two accounts to game the system, then both accounts can be closed per T&Cs. Duplicate accounts can occur by mistake such as when a CC chooses to open a new account for you instead of linking to your existing accounts. This has been a constant issue from day one.
Old Nov 2, 18, 10:24 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Why reward procrastination? They gave people plenty of time.
I'm still waiting for corrections to be made on my Marriott account. I'd rather that be done first before combining with SPG. Until they fix my points balance, I'd say I have been given no time to combine two accurate accounts.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 18, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Update

Originally Posted by 360guy View Post
I still have not combined my accounts.
Last month I hit 500 nights with SPG (10+ years) and I have another 106 nights with Marriott.There is still no recognition of me being LifeTime Platinum on the SPG website.
Is there a reason I should combine my accounts now? Is there a deadline when I must combine accounts?
A SPG supervisor told me today, that all accounts will be automatically merged, the first week of January 2019??
Old Nov 4, 18, 2:24 pm

I still have a pending issue on my old SPG account (transfers before 8/18 never showed up). So, I am kind of reluctant merging them. I guess I should keep my eyes open on this thread.
Old Jan 25, 19, 1:09 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood LPP+A, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, United Premier Silver
Force merger of accounts by Jan 30??

This morning, January 25, i received an email from a MB rep with whom i have never communicated - though the email address was my ambassador's - stating that if I do not combine accounts by January 30 - within the next five days, I cannot be guaranteed to be able to select which account is kept and the email address on one of my accounts will be removed.

Dear Sinfonia,

My name is xxxx with Ambassador Service and I wanted to reach out on behalf on xxxx.

Have you heard the exciting news? Marriott’s loyalty programs (Marriott Rewards®, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® and SPG®) will share a single name and website on February 13, 2019.
I noticed you are using the same email address for multiple loyalty program accounts. Upon launch of the new Marriott Bonvoy® website, one email address can only be associated with one member account.

I would like to help you combine your accounts. Combining accounts will allow for a more convenient, single account log-in for you and will add together your nights and points, providing streamlined access to earn and redeem across Marriott brands.

Please let me know if you would like me to combine accounts on your behalf by January 30, 2019.
  1. If you have a preference of which account number you wish to keep active with your preferred email address, just let me know.
  2. If you wish to combine on your own, see the instructions below.
  3. If you choose not to take action, the email address on one of your profiles will be removed.
  4. If you act after this date, we cannot guarantee which account will be associated with your preferred email address.

Note: there is no benefit to maintaining multiple accounts.

Thank you for your attention to this matter; please let me know if you have any questions.

Note: For your security, there are no active links in this email. Please go to Marriott.com to combine your accounts.

Combine Accounts:
  1. Go to Marriott.com from your browser. Click “Sign In or Join” at the top
  2. After logging in, click your name in the upper-right corner and select “Profile”
  3. You have two options:
    1. Option 1 (Recommended): Combine accounts
Select “Start Now” next to “Combine My SPG & Rewards Accounts”
Follow all instructions
  1. Option 2: Change the email address on one account
Select “Edit” next to “Personal Info”
Change the email address in both fields and click “Save”

Note: If you choose not to combine your accounts or change one of your email addresses, you’ll be notified by email when your email address is removed from one profile. You will still be able to log in to that account using your Member Number and password. Points, Elite Nights, etc. will be unaffected. Your stay or points usage activity in 2019 may affect which account is selected for email removal.

Best Regards,
xxxx
Old Jan 25, 19, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, AA EXP, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by sinfonia View Post
This morning, January 25, i received an email from a MB rep with whom i have never communicated - though the email address was my ambassador's - stating that if I do not combine accounts by January 30 - within the next five days, I cannot be guaranteed to be able to select which account is kept and the email address on one of my accounts will be removed.
See this thread starting at post # 1054.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...update-71.html

I changed my email address which may have bought me some time, but I think we might have to combine by Feb 13.
Old Jan 25, 19, 7:45 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood LPP+A, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, United Premier Silver
Thanks for that suggestion. I had not received the email mentioned in the other thread and for some reason, did not even think to change one of the email addresses. I will do so, but think you are probably correct that this is only a band-aid until Feb 13. I am in the same boat as you with account issues that need to be handled, and I would much rather handle it while the accounts are separate instead of combining and possibly having a new issue on our hands after combining.

I really am very unhappy that MB would send an email about this only five days before they plan to remove one, and right before a weekend, no less, so it's not like my Ambassador can help me fix the account issues over the weekend. So I basically have only Monday and Tuesday to rectify all of those issues before they combine which may cause more chaos and definitely more confusion in terms of tracking and tracing history. To me, this is just one more issue with the colossal mess that this merger has been, and it really bugs me that they could not see fit to notify us with more notice of the actual date that this had to be done. Five days is not enough notice at all when people have much more going on in their lives than sitting and watching their MB accounts. To me, it shows the same lack of respect and concern for their most loyal members that they have displayed throughout this merger.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 25, 19, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, AA EXP, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Thanks for that suggestion. I had not received the email mentioned in the other thread and for some reason, did not even think to change one of the email addresses. I will do so, but think you are probably correct that this is only a band-aid until Feb 13. I am in the same boat as you with account issues that need to be handled, and I would much rather handle it while the accounts are separate instead of combining and possibly having a new issue on our hands after combining.
FYI, I haven’t received any emails from Marriott and certainly not my ambassador on this subject. Thank goodness for FT and the Lurkers.

I want to keep my accounts separate as long as possible due to idiotic LNF rules (eg can’t have a points reservation adjoining a LNF reservation, they insist that you MUST BRG all consecutive nights &#128580. They even modified my LNF reservation without my consent.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 25, 19, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

I really am very unhappy that MB would send an email about this only five days before they plan to remove one, and right before a weekend, no less, so it's not like my Ambassador can help me fix the account issues over the weekend. So I basically have only Monday and Tuesday to rectify all of those issues before they combine which may cause more chaos and definitely more confusion in terms of tracking and tracing history. To me, this is just one more issue with the colossal mess that this merger has been, and it really bugs me that they could not see fit to notify us with more notice of the actual date that this had to be done. Five days is not enough notice at all when people have much more going on in their lives than sitting and watching their MB accounts. To me, it shows the same lack of respect and concern for their most loyal members that they have displayed throughout this merger.
If you re-read the message they are not combining your accounts unless you request them to so. What they will do if you fail to take action is to delete your email address from one of your two accounts. This means your email address can only be used to access one account and to get to the other you will need to use the account number. I think using email addresses as account names is bad, but becoming more and more popular and exposes that to the network more than needed. It's almost the internet equivalent to SSNs where they are looking for a means to uniquely identify individuals.

If you should happen to have a GMail address, you can choose [email protected] and [email protected] to satisfy unique addresses and still get everything in one inbox. Personally I chose to pickup my own domain name and use [email protected] and [email protected] to separate accounts and, like with the GMail trick, I can tell where someone got my address.

I do suggest you combine your accounts sooner than later but do see the desire not to if there are any issues with the account.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 26, 19, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was just mentioned by a Lurker that the ability to combine online will go away by Feb 13. If you wait to combine after that, you will have to fill out a form.
Old Jan 28, 19, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I just got an email from my Ambassador on this, including an offer to combine accounts by January 30th. It's ironic that she can't respond on other stuff, but is so eager to combine accounts for people while the accounts are still messed up.

Search this Thread