FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Sheraton front desk - PMS system migration to Marriott? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1938292-sheraton-front-desk-pms-system-migration-marriott.html)

phltraveler Oct 31, 2018 11:29 am

Sheraton front desk - PMS system migration to Marriott?

So now that everything is merged and happy under one roof (e.g. elite counts for re-qualification are not separate post 08/18), I find myself staying at legacy SPG properties more. This week I find myself in a Sheraton (Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel).

Upon my check-in on Monday, I was given a letter that they would be merging with the Marriott reservations systems over the next few days, and thus on the 30th of October a folio would be cut mid-stay (did happen as promised). They also apologized that they would not be able to process room charges for the hotel convenience shop/bar/hotel and they would be cash/credit only through November 1st.

I'm just curious, it seems to be a switch-over of the property management system that the front desk clerks use, but I haven't seen anything here about it. Is this a systemwide thing that I've somehow missed a thread on, or maybe they're migrating a few properties first as a test?

Side note: Have stayed at two Sheraton properties post-08/18. In both cases, I was only greeted as a Platinum, not a Platinum Premier. Not the end of the world as I had lounge access but I wondered about upgrade priority, etc...

SanDiego1K Oct 31, 2018 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by phltraveler (Post 30377656)
...I haven't seen anything here about it. Is this a systemwide thing that I've somehow missed a thread on, or maybe they're migrating a few properties first as a test?

There have been some comments within threads such as this one. Yours is the first I remember as a standalone. Thank you for your report. The link I gave has a link to a blogger, samchui, from whom I have copied the following table. I hope that many of the problems we have seen will be eliminated as the SPG brands move to the Marriott platform.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...22a560e17a.png

somedude3210 Oct 31, 2018 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by phltraveler (Post 30377656)
Side note: Have stayed at two Sheraton properties post-08/18. In both cases, I was only greeted as a Platinum, not a Platinum Premier. Not the end of the world as I had lounge access but I wondered about upgrade priority, etc...

I seem to recall comments in other thread(s) that SPG's system didn't distinguish between Plat and PP, but Marriott's system did. As SPG properties transition over, perhaps there will be more distinction between the two status levels.

YYJMSP Oct 31, 2018 1:59 pm

A Sheraton i stay at frequently went through the exact same thing (split bill, credit card only for non room charges, etc) Mon/Tue this week.

FD commented that they could now finally see Ambassador status, and the multiple Platinum status levels, etc.

YYJMSP Oct 31, 2018 2:05 pm

Hmm... Quick check shows you can book with points advance now...

MSPeconomist Oct 31, 2018 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by somedude3210 (Post 30377866)
I seem to recall comments in other thread(s) that SPG's system didn't distinguish between Plat and PP, but Marriott's system did. As SPG properties transition over, perhaps there will be more distinction between the two status levels.

However, Starwood had been sending hotels a suggested list, which they weren't required to follow, for upgrade priority. Presumably there AMB >>Plat75>Plat50>>PlatMinus. Hotels would generally adjust based on whether someone was a previous or repeat guest at the property and whether there had been a service failure or other problem on a recent visit. I would assume that this practice has been continuing.

UA-NYC Oct 31, 2018 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30378629)
However, Starwood had been sending hotels a suggested list, which they weren't required to follow, for upgrade priority. Presumably there AMB >>Plat75>Plat50>>PlatMinus. Hotels would generally adjust based on whether someone was a previous or repeat guest at the property and whether there had been a service failure or other problem on a recent visit. I would assume that this practice has been continuing.

Agreed - that other line of discussion is a big canard...no, one was not greeted as a "Plat 50" vs a "Plat 75", but Plat levels did matter in terms of better chances of room upgrades

margarita girl Oct 31, 2018 4:29 pm

I have not combined my accounts. Both the SPG website and app recognize me as PP with Amb, and the Marriott website and app recognize me as PP.

EuropeanPete Oct 31, 2018 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 30378761)
I have not combined my accounts. Both the SPG website and app recognize me as PP with Amb, and the Marriott website and app recognize me as PP.

I think the point was more about properties. I think the post you responded to was largely correct - SPG properties at check in recognised new Platinum at the most, which is a very high proportion of people nowadays. There clearly was/ is some other list sent though as all the best SPG properties have known all about me from the moment they hear my name.

I suspect best case is that legacy Starwood properties recognise the new levels and that most legacy Marriott properties start differentiating between what to them will be the existing levels of Plat Premium and Plat Premier.

C17PSGR Oct 31, 2018 7:14 pm

Starwood properties use(d) Lightspeed as the property management system while Marriott uses Marsha. Lightspeed didn't show anything other than Plat/Gold so the properties couldn't distinguish anything more than Plat.

So glad to see them move to a system that might allow that distinction.

Maybe ... Marriott has been devoting resources to make sure that transition works rather than to the website so as the transition continues at the property level, the reservation system will improve. But perhaps that's wishful thinking!

MSPeconomist Oct 31, 2018 7:31 pm

I'm not so sure. A couple weeks after August 18th, a legacy SPG property told me that they could see my AMB status if they knew where to look, even before I had an assigned Ambassador. Maybe the front desk supervisor was just humoriing me, but this is someone who seems to know what he is doing. At other times, legacy SPG front desk agents (again who seemed competent) told me that they could see my PP status but not AMB, which is what my SPG account (erroneously) shows most of the time.

BTW, I'm legacy SPG LTP, legacy MR LTP (and therefore already LTPP in the new combined program) and AMB now with well over 100 nights and $20,000 spend on room charges alone as of about August 1st.

gregv Oct 31, 2018 7:52 pm

I was checking out of a Sheraton 3pm Monday where I overheard one clerk having computer problems say to another "it's only going to get worse with the Marriott takeover in 9 hours" which got the reply "maybe I'll call in sick tomorrow". :eek:

catocony Oct 31, 2018 7:55 pm

The problem in blaming the problems on the PMS is that it should be okay the 27 days or so a month.

jpdx Oct 31, 2018 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 30379153)
Starwood properties use(d) Lightspeed as the property management system while Marriott uses Marsha. Lightspeed didn't show anything other than Plat/Gold so the properties couldn't distinguish anything more than Plat.

So glad to see them move to a system that might allow that distinction.

I've seen this claim advanced by you and others repeatedly, but there must have been a way for Starwood properties to see the correct status. Looking at pictures I took of welcome amenities/letters (geeky, I know!), I was first recognized as Platinum Premier Elite by LC Balkan in late August and Sheraton Macau in early September. Since then, it's been done correctly in Thailand, Indonesia, and Hong Kong. OTOH, nothing at two European Courtyards, and JW Singapore greeted me as "lifetime Platinum."

IMO, the problem here is that there are simply too many elite levels, and names are too similar -- it's hard for your average front desk person to make sense of it (and perhaps your average guest, raises hand). IMO proper elite recognition is likely to (generally) work just fine at better hotels, properties in Asia/EU, and those that have significant resources dedicated to this kind of thing, but not so well at places like 4P/Element, as well as probably 90% of all hotels in the US (which simply don't care).

C17PSGR Oct 31, 2018 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx (Post 30379320)
I've seen this claim advanced by you and others repeatedly, but there must have been a way for Starwood properties to see the correct status. Looking at pictures I took of welcome amenities/letters (geeky, I know!), I was first recognized as Platinum Premier Elite by LC Balkan in late August and Sheraton Macau in early September. Since then, it's been done correctly in Thailand, Indonesia, and Hong Kong. OTOH, nothing at two European Courtyards, and JW Singapore greeted me as "lifetime Platinum."

IMO, the problem here is that there are simply too many elite levels, and names are too similar -- it's hard for your average front desk person to make sense of it (and perhaps your average guest, raises hand). IMO proper elite recognition is likely to (generally) work just fine at better hotels, properties in Asia/EU, and those that have significant resources dedicated to this kind of thing, but not so well at places like 4P/Element, as well as probably 90% of all hotels in the US (which simply don't care).

None of the systems show lifetime status that I know of so that wouldn't be shown.

But ... in October I've stayed a an LC, two Sheratons, a Westin, and a W. All thanked me for being a Plat. I asked at the Sheraton and they said they didn't know what a Plat Premier was. The Westin said they didn't have that information. The W told me they thought they had that information somewhere but it wasn't shared with the front desk.

In any event, that will soon be old news. The hotels will have the information and it will be up to the GM whether he/she cares enough to train their people and drive repeat business. In my experience, that's a higher priority outside the US.