Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Kierland Villas Debacle - Time Share sales

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Kierland Villas Debacle - Time Share sales

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:36 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lifetime United Gold and 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Marriott and SPG Platinum , AA, Hilton
Thumbs down Westin Kierland Villas Debacle - Time Share sales

Buyer beware! If you are invited to take part in a time shares promotion at this property beware. While the price of $299 for 5 days/4 nights is great be prepared to take a hit in the quality and service that you should expect at this property.

We were awakened by delivery trucks with beepers and horns at 7 AM, right outside our window. Nice room to put a lifetime platinum.

If you are a platinum you should expect to receive that perk ONLY. instead of 1000 points you can choose a continental breakfast, which is what we chose. Breakfast from 7 until 10:45. We got to breakfast at 8:30 and it was gone. When I say gone I mean all of the items that are set aside for the continental were finished. I asked if they would be restocking and was told no. It is only TUESDAY. I found the F&B manager after asking for someone for about 15 minutes. He showed up, apologized and then took us to the market and bought us breakfast, so they took care of it. The person at the register should never have provided that response.

We then went back to our room and proceed to look at the bath. Rings around the tub that look like it wasnt cleaned in days. Contacted house keep manager and waited for about an hour until it was finally cleaned.

Room maintenance is lacking quite a bit.

Jackhammer above our heads most of the morning. Asked for a room change, was told there is nothing available. Funny thing is there is an entire hotel across the street which is an affiliated property but that wasnt seen as a viable option.

Worst thing is that ive asked to speak to a manager several times but every time ive been told that they are in meetings. Why? Nothing seems to be getting done, what could they be meeting about?

Finally I've logged a case with Platinum SPG concierge services. 3 more days to go here.

let's see what happens.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
This is a Vistana Property and historically there have never been any SPG elite privileges staying at a time share such as this. They have their own, totally separate elite program based upon how many weeks you own and where ( some have a greater value than others). In the past there was no breakfast or points option either ( although admittedly that was on exchange visits or staying at a home resort). Your Marriott or SPG status cuts very little slack at these properties IME. In fact on the old SPG website that was explicitly stated on the home page. I notice that this has disappeared or has been hidden somewhere on the new and improved ( cough cough) Marriott site. Until the merge you wouldn't even earn elite nights on these stays, although apparently that has changed. I'm not sure if the promotional rate counts, however, especially since the merge.

The other issues are inexcusable though, although again our experience at other similar properties, is that these promotional rates are associated with the crappiest rooms, with the better rooms being reserved for those who own at the property.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
I stayed there on the same deal a couple years ago and also hated it. My wife hated it more. Similar experience. Sometimes a great deal just isn’t.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I also stayed there many years ago (10?) and wasn't impressed.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It seems odd that people trying to sell timeshare units would give such a bad room and bad service to someone they're courting as a potential buyer. Most former potential customers would assume that the experience would only get much worse as a property owner in this place.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It seems odd that people trying to sell timeshare units would give such a bad room and bad service to someone they're courting as a potential buyer. Most former potential customers would assume that the experience would only get much worse as a property owner in this place.
Yes, but it sure gives the OP an easy out during the timeshare presentation. Should be over in 5 minutes.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
We raised that very question with the sales people at the Westin Lagunamar in Cancun.. He stated that this had been a discussion at many sales team meetings but the rooms allocated seemed to be the ones with the worst views. There is nothing at the Kierland Villas though, other than the extra room for families. It is pretty blah, just like the Villas at the Westin Mission Hills IMHO. The worst property in the collection, by far, at least IMO, is the Sheraton Broadway Plantation at Myrtle Beach. Frumpy decor, dumpy rooms and buildings, with no facilities on site and not even a great location to visit..
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why do people ever buy these things?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
As owners in the one-time Starwood program (then Vistana, now Marriott ... it's complicated), our experiences at the Westin Kierland and other properties in the legacy Starwood Vacation Ownership program have been good.

EXCEPT for the sales presentations. We literally walked out an hour into a crappy "owner update" at a legacy Vistana property in Orlando due to a clueless sales rep trying to get us to buy additional weeks.

We no longer do the "owner updates." Ever. For the one sales rep you get who listens and is open and honest, the others put the pitch on repeat and don't listen. It's not worth the gift card or points for existing owners.

That said, I'm surprised that someone getting a special welcome/intro package got a crappy room. We were fortunate when we first bought (we went to Maui on a sales package the first time). That's not just bad service. It's bad marketing.

As to why someone buys a timeshare, there are several reasons, but it's not as an investment. The TUG BBS has great reasons. Us, we bought at a cheap property (Avon, CO) so we could trade into other Vistana/Starwood/Marriott properties in more expensive locations. But it's definitely not for everyone, and resale is one of the better options if someone wants to buy. I'm happy with our decisions, but under current sales practices and a shift to non-deeded properties, I probably wouldn't do it again or recommend anything other than resale.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Just stayed at the lagunamar. It’s a terribly run operation. They have great staff but the operation of the entire property is piss poor. Won’t be going back there ever. The list of issues we had were mostly unresolved. They wanted to pitch the time share. I almost laughed out loud.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by tfong007
Just stayed at the lagunamar. It’s a terribly run operation. They have great staff but the operation of the entire property is piss poor. Won’t be going back there ever. The list of issues we had were mostly unresolved. They wanted to pitch the time share. I almost laughed out loud.
That's interesting. Over on TUG, Lagunamar mostly receives rave reviews from everything with the exception of the spa personnel roaming the pool area to drum up business. The main pool is one of the best around and the restaurants have good food.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Main Pool was under construction all but the last day. There was no mention of the construction except a single email that was offering airport pickup services. We had two rooms and numerous things were broken or stuck. From the microwave no working to the doors not shutting. After staying at so many different resorts this one is just mediocre.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.