Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Hacienda del Alamo Golf & Resort - Spain [Master Thread]

Old Oct 30, 18, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Hotel website. Category 2. Opening Nov '18.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...nd-spa-resort/

"This luxury resort is placed on the Costa Calida of Murcia and has 154 rooms and suites, an 18-hole golf course, an outstanding wellness area, swimming pools, sports area, restaurants & bars and meeting rooms. All this makes the resort a place with endless possibilities for golf lovers and being the perfect setting for MICE business, social and sport events. For conventions offers 8 meeting rooms, from 20 m2 to 550 m2. In addition, it is an ideal venue to organize from small ceremonies to breathtaking events. Its 18-hole golf course stands out, as well as its clubhouse, golf academy with all kind of services for golfers. To find the perfect balance between mind and body, relax at the spa wellness center, with more than 1,300 m2 of facilities. In terms of gastronomy, you can choose between different restaurants and bars, ranging from simple and causal to formal and luxurious."

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Apr 17, 19 at 12:44 pm
Old Apr 16, 19, 11:49 pm

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Any comment or stay review?

I am going to book there for July, it seems that they don't apply any resort fee, is is possible?
Old Apr 17, 19, 1:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Also curious, as I've seen some ridiculously low rates for off-season.

"This luxury resort is placed on the Costa Calida of Murcia " is very deceptive. Nowhere near the coast. Essentially a hard-to-get-to golf resort as far as I can tell...
Old Apr 17, 19, 3:18 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, HH Diamond, PC Gold, BMI Gold (RIP)
We spotted this hotel and are heading out for a long weekend in June and we have booked one of the 2 bedroom suites with the small pool, as we don't want to rely on upgrades.

It is still relatively new as a Sheraton, but it is definitely a golf resort and spa type place, with very little in the immediate area. It is however quite close to the new Murcia airport, so only a short drive now. I have had some communication with the hotel about a few questions, including trying to get some more details on restaurant menus etc.

There is no resort fee. The extra guest charge (above 2 guests) that prices up at the point of booking is waived for children, but is applicable for adults. There is no hotel transport for the airport, but they can happily sort taxis to and from the airport if needed. Breakfast has been confirmed to me as one of the Platinum welcome amenity options.

It looks good though and I will report back in a couple of months when we are there.
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.
Old Apr 17, 19, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by RAPC View Post
We spotted this hotel and are heading out for a long weekend in June and we have booked one of the 2 bedroom suites with the small pool, as we don't want to rely on upgrades.

It is still relatively new as a Sheraton, but it is definitely a golf resort and spa type place, with very little in the immediate area. It is however quite close to the new Murcia airport, so only a short drive now. I have had some communication with the hotel about a few questions, including trying to get some more details on restaurant menus etc.

There is no resort fee. The extra guest charge (above 2 guests) that prices up at the point of booking is waived for children, but is applicable for adults. There is no hotel transport for the airport, but they can happily sort taxis to and from the airport if needed. Breakfast has been confirmed to me as one of the Platinum welcome amenity options.

It looks good though and I will report back in a couple of months when we are there.
Thanks for sharing.
I am thinking for July, and we'll be land at Alacant Airport, about 50min far from Murcia.
From Tripadvisor they seem to be pretty generous with upgrades, but I read that SPA entrance is excluded from room rate, so at a charge for everyone.
RAPC likes this.
Old Apr 17, 19, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy View Post
Thanks for sharing.
I am thinking for July, and we'll be land at Alacant Airport, about 50min far from Murcia.
From Tripadvisor they seem to be pretty generous with upgrades, but I read that SPA entrance is excluded from room rate, so at a charge for everyone.
I think more people will fly to ALC and taxi / transfer prices should be reasonable if you don't hire a car.

I agree that it looks like they are generous with upgrades. I would take my chances for a suite upgrade, but with us wanting the 2 bed with a pool in particular, we decided to pay the money to avoid disappointment, especially with rates being very reasonable. We're travelling with a 4 year old, so prefer to know what we are getting.

The spa does appear to be separate and for a fee, I think because the owners of the surrounding properties on the development have access to it as well. I'm not expecting to have access to it, unless we pay for it.
Old Jun 13, 19, 3:51 pm

Just back from 3 nights at the Sheraton over the weekend. Overall it's a pretty good place with a lot of positives and we had an enjoyable stay.

Prior to arrival I was contact by Betsy, who is the Bonvoy member liaison at the hotel. (We did meet her as well on our last day and she is very pleasant in person as well as on email.) She wanted to check arrival time, any preferences or requests etc. I asked for a quiet room if possible as we have a 4 year old who goes to bed relatively early. She confirmed back on allocating a quieter room etc.

We flew in to the new(ish) Murcia airport, which was a breeze to get through and then out to the car rental locations at the front of the airport. We decided to rent a car as prices were cheaper for the weekend than getting taxis to and from the hotel, plus we could do day trips out to Cartagena and La Manga with the vehicle. It was roughly a 25 minute drive from the airport to the hotel, with the roads in the area being quick and very quiet. There is plenty of free parking at the hotel, including some covered parking a short walk from the lobby area.

We arrived after 10pm and there was no queue at check in. Was asked a few questions around preferences, told about restaurant and food options and was finally was asked if we wanted points or breakfast as my Platinum amenity. I chose breakfast and was told that this would cover both adults and our daughter, which was much appreciated. We were given a map of the resort and directions to our room, which was a short walk through the grounds and past the pool.

We had booked one of the 2 bedroom suites with the private pools. These are all located across past the pool area, with views of the golf course. These are in buildings with 4 rooms on each floor, with 2 separate rooms making up these suites on the ground floor. These are also sold separately, with the larger part also being sold as a 1 bedroom suite with private pool. Although the weather was 80F+ during our stay, we didn't really need the aircon on as the building are solid stone and are very cool inside. Waiting for us when we entered the room as a selection of local meats and cheeses, a large fruit selection and a large bottle of cava. One of the better Platinum welcomes received.

The rooms and grounds were pretty luxurious with good quality furniture, bathrooms, beds, bedding etc. There was a bit of wear and tear on our pool with some missing tiles etc, but besides that it was in a good state of maintenance. Plenty of space in the room, although I wouldn't want to stay solely in the smaller second room as there is not a lot of space around the beds here. (They are sold as classic twin rooms from memory)

Breakfast in the main restaurant was decent, with a good selection of food across hot and cold options, as well as made or order eggs and omlettes etc. Each morning one of the chefs kept noticing my daughter and giving her a little treat each day, which was nice of her. Staff and service was good. The Platinum breakfast was the full buffet.

We also ate at the main restaurant for the dinner buffet which was ok, but nothing special for the money @ 28 Euros each. They comped us the evening buffet as a Platinum guest on our one visit. We also ate on the terrace and at the golf club restaurant. Essentially they had similar menus at both, but the prices were about 1/3 less at the Golf Club. No idea why, especially as the terrace prices were reasonable anyway.

The pool is pretty large, but it wasn't heated. My daughter and I were fine in it, but most people got in and came out quickly. It meant that it was pretty quiet, although a lot of the sunloungers around the pool were in use with people sunbathing and relaxing. Besides this, the resort did feel rather quiet over the weekend, with few people about outside of meal times and by the pool. It makes for a relaxing place to stay and we enjoyed our time there.

Whilst this is still a category 2 property, it is very much a bargain on points, especially in the summer months. It isn't perfect by any stretch, but we were well looked after, it is a nice property and we can recommend it for a long weekend stay like we did. Our 4 year old in particular loved the place, especially the private pool, so I have no doubt we will end up visiting again in the next 12 months.

I will try to post up some photos to follow-up. If anyone has any questions as well in advance of any upcoming stays, then please let me know.
Old Jun 14, 19, 2:36 pm

Thank you for this review!

Two questions:

-what was the fee pp to enter the SPA?
-was there a Club Lounge in the hotel?

thx
Old Jun 14, 19, 5:28 pm

Is there much to do outside the resort? Would you pair with a few days in Alicante?
Old Jun 15, 19, 12:21 am

Thank you RAPC for your detailed review.

I am planning a long weekend relaxing stay here for July, but I am not able to get in touch with them, I sent a fax but still waiting.
Have you got an email of the hotel or of Betsi?
I need some information to reach the resort from Alicant airport with public transport (I am not renting a car).
Thank you!
Old Jun 17, 19, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by EHAM1 View Post
Thank you for this review!

Two questions:

-what was the fee pp to enter the SPA?
-was there a Club Lounge in the hotel?
There is a fee to use the Spa (which also has the only indoor and heated pool). We didn't use it, but I believe it is 20 per person
The hotel does not have a club lounge.
Old Jun 17, 19, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Dn10 View Post
Is there much to do outside the resort? Would you pair with a few days in Alicante?
In the immediate vicinity, not really. If you rent a car (or don't mind paying for taxis), then there are a number of easy trips in the area. We drove down to Cartagena for the day, which took about 25 minutes and was pretty easy as the roads are quick and quiet. We also planned on visiting the beaches at La Manga, but didn't have time to do that. There were also quite a few surrounding towns and areas that looked quite interesting, but again we didn't get chance to visit.

I don't know Alicante (beyond a flight in to the airport a few years ago) to have any feedback on that part, sorry!
Old Jun 17, 19, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy View Post
Thank you RAPC for your detailed review.

I am planning a long weekend relaxing stay here for July, but I am not able to get in touch with them, I sent a fax but still waiting.
Have you got an email of the hotel or of Betsi?
I need some information to reach the resort from Alicant airport with public transport (I am not renting a car).
Thank you!
I will drop you Betsy's email address after this in a PM.
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.
Old Jul 6, 19, 11:51 pm

I will be there next week and I'll report you back 👍
Old Yesterday, 2:45 am

Here I am at the Sheraton El Alamo for a 3-night stay of total relax.
To sum up, the experience is awesome
Pre arrival assistance from Guest Relations manager Betsy was brilliant, and very appreciated was the pre-upgrade to a huge Suite with a large terrace overlooking golf fields and a jacuzzi in the bathroom.
They offered me a big bottle of Cava wine!
The resort is very nice, palm trees, gardens, large swimming pool with jacuzzi, bars, restaurants (I tried Palapa) and personnel is friendly.
I chose breakfast as amenity and the selection is wide and well shown.
The hotel is in the middle of a private and guarded real-estate village, with lots of typical homes and villas, mostly still "en venta" (on sale).
I will try the spa and other restaurants in the next days, but my review is totally POSITIVE !

Last edited by GoldenItalianBoy; Yesterday at 5:35 am