Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Platinum at 44 combined nights - should I chase 50?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, World of Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum

I achieved SPG Platinum in June 2018, thanks to the SPG Platinum Challenge.

I just finished 2 stays and am now at 44 combined (SPG + Marriott) nights for 2018.
I technically don’t have stays planned until Dec 31, but I can foresee 1-3 nights as a family trip, which would still leave me at 47 nights for 2018.

I checked the new Marriott Platinum Choice Benefits at 50 nights, and apart from the 5 SNAs, I don’t really see immediate value in any of the other benefits (unless the 5 night credit would’ve counted for Lifetime status, which I understand it doesn’t).

Does it make sense for me to go out of my way and achieve 50 nights for 2018?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
The biggest benefit is actually concierge lounge access, which is good in the US, and excellent in Europe and Asia. If that doesn't matter to you, then based on what you've written, I don't see any reason to go out of your way for 50 nights.

You also get more points per stay, an occasional room upgrade, and a few other minor benefits.

For me, breakfast/appetizers/drinks in the lounge are easily worth a few hundred dollars if I were just 3 nights short. But only if you plan on using the benefit.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:30 am

The 5 elite night credits dont count toward lifetime status? So are they only good for reaching the next level of status? Can anyone confirm?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by swstalker
The 5 elite night credits dont count toward lifetime status? So are they only good for reaching the next level of status? Can anyone confirm?
5 elite night credits are only useful for somebody on 70 nights in late December.

No lifetime, no 2019, etc.

Only the OP can judge the value of 5 suite upgrades (that may never clear on stays important to the OP).
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I would go for 50 if you can, unless you have intent to stay at Marriott in 2019. Plat is so much better than Gold ... even with just a few stays it will pay off.
CC nights used to count to LT status, but I guess they no longer do.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP is already Plat for next year due to the challenge. The question is whether Plat with 50 nights is significantly better than just Starriott Plat in the new combined program. The answer depends on how valuable 5 SNAs would be to the OP.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by swstalker
Here are the relevant Ts&Cs:

Five Elite Night Credits
  1. Upon an eligible Platinum Elite or Platinum Premier Elite Member selecting the Five Elite Night Credits as his/her Annual Choice Benefit, the Member will have his/her Member account credited with five (5) bonus Elite Nights which count toward earning Elite status only. These bonus Elite Nights do not count toward Lifetime status. Elite Nights and Elite Membership status are subject to the Program Rules in section 4.2.b.
  2. The five (5) Elite Night Credits will be reflected in the Member account within forty-eight (48) hours of the receipt of the confirmation of the Annual Choice Benefit selection.
  3. Elite Nights that are awarded to an eligible Platinum Elite or Platinum Premier Elite Member as the Member's Annual Choice Benefit will be awarded in the Eligible Status Year for which the Elite Nights were earned, regardless of when the Member selects the Five Elite Night Credits as his/her Annual Choice Benefit. For the avoidance of doubt, the Eligible Calendar Year in which the Annual Choice Benefit is earned is the Eligible Calendar Year for which the Elite Nights will be credited toward earning Elite membership status.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OP is already Plat for next year due to the challenge. The question is whether Plat with 50 nights is significantly better than just Starriott Plat in the new combined program. The answer depends on how valuable 5 SNAs would be to the OP.
It wasn't clear to me from the post that the status was good through 2019. In this case, I don't see any reason to add extra nights this year just to get the bonus gift. I suppose if he found a hotel for 3 very cheap night it might. But otherwise paying $700+ for those nights could probably just be used for other things, including a guaranteed suite some time next year.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I see no reason to chase 50 nights, since the only benefit is 5 SNA which may or may not clear when you want to use them.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, World of Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum
Thanks for the recommendations guys.

From the comments, I think it's clear that I shouldn't specifically chase 50 nights, since I'm already Platinum through 2019 and SNAs are not that valuable compared to paying for 3-6 nights.

I'll try to post an update in 2019 if I actually hit 50 nights for 2018 ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.