Resort and parking fees on reward stays

Old Oct 29, 18, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Resort and parking fees on reward stays

I'm sure this has been asked before but I was getting conflicting answers from the Platinum Elite line.

If one is doing a reward stay, are resort fees waived for Platinum Elite?

Are parking fees waived?

Did any rules changed due to merger with SPG?
Old Oct 30, 18, 12:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Parking fees, NO, that's a Hyatt Globalist benefit for award stays.

OTOH, I would expect resort (and other similar facilities fees as well as service charges) to be waived on award stays, but I don't have any recent experience with this at Starriott, just Hyatt. Parking is optional, just like dinners in the hotel restaurant, spa services, or hotel arranged car service, but resort etc. fees are mandatory, so IMO they should be part of an award.

However, I don't know what the new combined Starriott T&C say about this, if anything.
Old Oct 30, 18, 12:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
No. Nothing is waived.

You're thinking of other programs. Hyatt waives parking and resort fees for top tier. Hilton waives resort fees. Marriott pokes you in the eye with a sharp stick. "Thank you sir, may I have another."
Old Oct 30, 18, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Parking fees, NO, that's a Hyatt Globalist benefit for award stays.

OTOH, I would expect resort (and other similar facilities fees as well as service charges) to be waived on award stays, but I don't have any recent experience with this at Starriott, just Hyatt. Parking is optional, just like dinners in the hotel restaurant, spa services, or hotel arranged car service, but resort etc. fees are mandatory, so IMO they should be part of an award.

However, I don't know what the new combined Starriott T&C say about this, if anything.
Thanks.

One agent indicated resort fees and parking waived.

Another agent indicated neither fees waived.

These were suppose to be Platinum Elite CS.
Old Oct 30, 18, 6:28 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Those would be great benefits so if they existed I’m sure they would be advertised. But alas, they’re not as this is not a benefit at Marriott. I believe there are some properties that will waive/discount certain fees for elites (not necessarily just for award stays), but that is the exception, not the norm.
Old Oct 30, 18, 6:33 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Those would be great benefits so if they existed I’m sure they would be advertised. But alas, they’re not as this is not a benefit at Marriott. I believe there are some properties that will waive/discount certain fees for elites (not necessarily just for award stays), but that is the exception, not the norm.
SPG required hotels to either lower resort fees or offer some additional amenity to Plats when resort fees included items that would normally include published Plat benefits such as free internet or health club access. AFAIK Starriott has dropped this rule, which applied to paid with money stays booked through Starwood as well as award stays.
Old Oct 30, 18, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
It varies in my experience. Best course of action is to call the hotel an inquire how they apply resort fees and parking for Plats.
Old Oct 30, 18, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by qazw1 View Post
Thanks.

One agent indicated resort fees and parking waived.

Another agent indicated neither fees waived.

These were suppose to be Platinum Elite CS.
Typical CSR response. I wonder if one was former MR and the other former SPG? Although similar response rates were possible with either side of the house alone. There is no incentive/repercussion for the CSRs to get it right.
Old Oct 30, 18, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
Typical CSR response. I wonder if one was former MR and the other former SPG? Although similar response rates were possible with either side of the house alone. There is no incentive/repercussion for the CSRs to get it right.
The CS that indicated fess and parking are waived sounded like a long term employee. He responded quickly, as if from memory, that Platinum Elite have waived fees and parking.

The second CS sounded new. CS actually looked up something and then indicated nothing was waived..
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 18, 11:04 am

In my recent experiences, neither has been waved. The lack of comped parking and resort fees is a clear example of Starriott's uncompetitiveness for those who have the ability to reach top tier status with Hyatt. Between resort fee, parking, and no hassle, high quality breakfast in the restaurant for 2, I saved something around $160 a day at the Andaz in Maui last year. And that doesn't even include my suite upgrade for 5 nights that I confirmed at time of booking.
Old Oct 30, 18, 11:21 am

Neither are waived.
Old Oct 30, 18, 11:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
I'm sure this has been asked before but I was getting conflicting answers from the Platinum Elite line.

If one is doing a reward stay, are resort fees waived for Platinum Elite?

Are parking fees waived?

Did any rules changed due to merger with SPG?
When stays are paid with points, the room rate and taxes are supposed to be covered by the points.

Parking and any mandatory resort/facilities fees are separate.

At locations where having a car is genuinely optional, and parking is often in structures operated by third parties, it makes sense for parking to be a separate, optional cost. At suburban locations that have long had free parking and where almost every guest has a car — but that have added a mechanical parking gate in recent years — it's s slimy business practice. But that's how it is. Technically, a car is always optional, so parking is optional.

Optional resort fees — such as for unlimited packages for the use of equipment such as bicycles, kayaks, and floats — are fine. The guest decides if the package provides value. I would not expect room-rate points to cover this.

Mandatory resort/facilities fees are never acceptable, whether it's a cash stay or a points stay. There's usually some sort of feeble justification, seldom adding up to the cost, and often merely for things that Elite guests get anyway. If it's mandatory, it should be part of the room rate. Period.

If a property has a mandatory resort/facilities fee, stay someplace else.
MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.
Old Oct 30, 18, 12:35 pm

The CS that indicated fess and parking are waived sounded like a long term employee. He responded quickly, as if from memory, that Platinum Elite have waived fees and parking.

The second CS sounded new. CS actually looked up something and then indicated nothing was waived..
When did either SPG or Marriott waive these as an elite benefit?
Old Oct 30, 18, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
When did either SPG or Marriott waive these as an elite benefit?
For a while SPG required hotels to offer some kind of additional amenity to make up for items in the resort fee that are free for elite guests. For example, I can recall getting a $10 F&B credit to cover off the internet and gym access portion of the resort fee.
Old Oct 30, 18, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K mm / AA EXPPlat / Marriott Lifetime Plat , Hilton Diamond (dropping to gold for 2017)
Many posters have correctly noted that these are not waived. Hate the resort fee so much the Waikiki Hilton had replaced my prior favorite stays for just this reason.

for a while, several Hawaiian Marriotts offered a different package to Elites. Wailaea included parking. It was sligjtly less irritating to get something other than your elite benefits. Alas, no longer true

Search this Thread
Search Engine: