Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Low-point redemption, somewhat central property in Paris?

Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver

I imagine this has been asked somewhere since the merger but I have searched and found old threads that have not exactly addressed what I am looking for, so apologies if my question is redundant.

I am considering tagging on a few nights in Paris on my way to another destination in December, paying with points. Because it is somewhat a whim of a trip and because I am going alone, I am not interested in spending good points on a nice property, but am perfectly fine with something of the idea of a Four Points/Courtyard. This would be my first visit to Paris and my goal would be to just experience what I could of it in a couple of days. I have every intention of returning for a longer period of time, so I do not plan to even attempt to cross off from a list a bunch of must-see attractions. If I walk by the Eiffel Tower and on the Champs Elysees, I will be perfectly content. But I want to be central enough to the heart of the city that I can have that Parisian experience, and because I will not hire a car, I need it to be close enough or easily accessed by metro. Ideally, I would like to be able to walk to the center within about 30 minutes and feel perfectly safe during that 30 minute walk in the neighborhoods I will pass to get there. I would like to spend 35K or fewer points per night. Le Dokhan's does not have award availability my nights of stay. I am holding reservations at Courtyard Paris Gare de Lyon and Courtyard Paris Arcueil. But are these too far or in bad areas? Is there somewhere else I should consider? Or will I just not find what I am looking for and should I bite the 50K bullet for something like the Marriott Champs Elysees?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For only two nights if you're coming and going from CDG, I would try for a hotel that's either very close to a RER station on the airport line or someplace that's easily walkable from one of the CDG bus stops. IIRC there's one at Gare de Lyon, and a thirty minute walk through the 5th to the 6th (in the direction of the Eiffel Tower, which is somewhat further in the 7th) is interesting and safe. This gets you to Luxembourg Gardens, the lively area of the Left Bank/Quartier Latin including the Pantheon and Sorbonne, a walk along the Seine and to Ile de la Cite (Norte Dame) and Ile St Louis (technically part of the 4th). You'll also find the Museum of the Arab World and (probably more than thirty minutes) the Rodin Museum and the modern art museum at the former train museum along the river in the 7th, almost across the river from the Louvre.

BTW I consider Champs Elyssees to be a tourist trap, although the lights around Christmas are pretty and fun to see once.

Have you checked rates for the Marriott Rive Gauche? It's good for airport transportation and walkable to the more interesting areas of the left bank, with some rooms having good views of Paris. The hotel itself is modern and somewhat oriented toward conventions, but having elite benefits of their lounge and room upgrades might make it worthwhile for you.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold
This doesn't fit your description but still might be worth considering. My wife and I are just finishing our second trip to Paris and our second stay at the Renaissance La Defense. Although further out it's right on the RER A line (connect to the B to the airport), metro and it's literally an 8 minute, first stop trip to the Arc de Triumph. We traveled everywhere from the museums, river, Eiffel tower, Notre Dame easily and quickly. Because it's further out the points are less, it's quiet and they treat plats very well. If you decide to check it out feel free to contact me for any questions. Enjoy your visit.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:02 pm

Renaissance Republique is 35,000 points and is in a good area. From there you can walk through the Marais, a very distinctive area of Paris, to the river and the many attractions there. For my own 2 day visit next year I just couldnt justify using 70,000 points. Plenty of local hotels in the Opera area at reasonable prices, good location, close to Roissybus stop from the airport.
MSPeconomist and unclepants like this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by BruceWG
This doesn't fit your description but still might be worth considering. My wife and I are just finishing our second trip to Paris and our second stay at the Renaissance La Defense. Although further out it's right on the RER A line (connect to the B to the airport), metro and it's literally an 8 minute, first stop trip to the Arc de Triumph. We traveled everywhere from the museums, river, Eiffel tower, Notre Dame easily and quickly. Because it's further out the points are less, it's quiet and they treat plats very well. If you decide to check it out feel free to contact me for any questions. Enjoy your visit.

Hey, Bruce! Thanks for the info. My wife and I are heading out next week for a 7-day stay in Paris. Out of curiosity: What sort of Plat-recognition did you receive? We are also looking at the new Courtyard on the other side of the city and cant decide.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 9:05 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Tim Scurlock
Out of curiosity: What sort of Plat-recognition did you receive? We are also looking at the new Courtyard on the other side of the city and can’t decide.
My experience has been good. Two upgrades to a small suite and one to the Club Level. Keep your expectations moderate. This is like a suburban office park Marriott, but in Paris. The Les Quatre Temps shopping center is within walking distance. It has stores, restaurants, a movie theater and an Apple Store.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold
Originally Posted by Tim Scurlock

Hey, Bruce! Thanks for the info. My wife and I are heading out next week for a 7-day stay in Paris. Out of curiosity: What sort of Plat-recognition did you receive? We are also looking at the new Courtyard on the other side of the city and cant decide.
I received the typical email a few days before our stay with a welcome and "let me know if I can do anything, etc." I emailed back mentioning the trip was for our anniversary and if there was any type of upgraded room available I'd appreciate it. I received a reply in a few minutes saying she should let the front desk know. I saw later that day our reservation (on points) had a room change to a junior suite. It was nice to have that confirmed in advance. We received the platinum welcome gift, access to the club lounge and weekend breakfast in the restaurant. In addition the attitude of the staff was excellent. The club lounge attendants (morning and evening) came across as very friendly, asking about our day, if we needed anything etc. Just a very enjoyable experience. We also had the following waiting for us in the room one evening (see photo below):

Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:13 pm

The Le Meridien Etoile is 35,000 pts. It's what i'd consider to be the edge of central paris, but on the RER, metro line 1 that runs from the arc de triomphe to the louvre, and if memory serves, the CDG bus is across the street. It's been several years but when i stayed the rooms were nice enough but small and plat recognition was not good..but a good location and for half the points of the nicer properties the right tradeoff as I was also travelling solo.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes, it's very close to a CDG bus stop.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
All of this is very helpful information. Looking on a map does not help me as well as reading from FTers about this, so I thank you for the replies and info about location, safety, proximity to public transport, etc. As of now, I currently am now holding reservations at Renaissance La Defense, Marriott Rive Gauche, Renaissance Republique and Le Meridien Etoile. I will narrow it down soon, but at least I was able to secure the reservations now and take the time to decide. Thanks again!
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:58 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 6:36 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.