Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Can I have access to hotel lounge without a stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I have access to hotel lounge without a stay?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Why would someone want to access a lounge if they weren't staying at the hotel ... free coffee and a diet pepsi?
Full breakfast, full dinner, desert, etc. Do lounges you visit not have any of these?

OP - no, elite status doesn't entitle you to free meals every day of the year.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Not a crazy question. The Sheraton Frankfurt Airport in the past few years did have a policy of allowing Plats to use the lounge, without a room, during layovers. That is no longer the case.
I was about to ask this question. If a hotel is attached to the airport and you are the highest status or say a status that grants you lounge access I wonder if they let you into the lounge. Anyone have experience with this with any hotel brand?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Thankfully non-staying guests are not allowed access because there is so much exploitation going on due to the fact that many hotel executive lounges don't have the same access controls as say airport lounges. For example I have seen guests bringing in +10 instead of their allowed +1, large groups booking one club room and say five standard rooms with everyone getting access etc.

One similar benefit I do enjoy in Scandinavian countries is being able to use Scandic hotel gyms even when I am not staying at the hotel.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
First, this is a crazy question despite any one off experience to the contrary. Can you use the restroom at a restaurant that you are not purchasing a meal? Not very likely.

Would love to hear why OP needs lounge access?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 6:16 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I can envision situations where I might like to have access to the lounge even if not staying at the hotel. One that actually happened not too long ago was a day conference in Dallas. I live about 45 to an hour away. There were some sessions in the morning and then there was a few hours with nothing of interest before the late afternoon sessions started up. If I had thought about it, it might have been nice to head up to the lounge during the middle of the day as I suspect it would have been fairly empty. A nice quiet area to set up a laptop and do a little work. Now in this case, I didn't think about asking. I ended up heading down to a close by Starbucks which was a little more noisy than I would have preferred.

If I have a similar situation in the future, I may very well ask the hotel management about possibly sitting in the lounge for a few hours during the middle of the day when the lounge is probably empty. They may not let me, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
RogerD408 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Can you use the restroom at a restaurant that you are not purchasing a meal? Not very likely.
Sure you can. I do it at McDonald's occasionally because they tend to be cleaner than most gas station bathrooms. If I can time it with a lunch stop, obviously I would. And sometimes I buy a Diet Coke because I feel a little guilty. But no one would try to stop you.

But I still agree that it's a crazy question. And a hotel lounge is much different than a restroom at a restaurant.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 6:33 am
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
I don't mind if this was true. Plenty of nice lounges here in Singapore for me to choose over sitting at starbucks.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Just to clarify, there is nothing the the T&Cs that says non-guest use of the lounge is mandated so it's not a status entitlement. However, there is nothing saying the property is prohibited from allowing a non-guest to access the lounge. If you feel you can make a good case, ask. The worst they can say is no and you go on your way. If it's important to you then booking a day room or a night might get you access, but lounge access is not always granted to Golds (again, property prerogative).
Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Collierkr
... Can you use the restroom at a restaurant that you are not purchasing a meal? Not very likely.
Actually, I see this quite often and have done it myself in urgent situations. Yes, I may go to make a purchase afterwards, but when the line is long, I turn and leave.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
I’ve done it a couple times. Mid afternoon and I needed a quick 30 min or so location to catch up with my traveling partners b4 walking into our next meeting. Usually no food or drink is out, just a quiet place to sit and talk strategy
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If I use a hotel lounge before an early check in or after my checkout time, I consider it a special favor from the hotel and would never consume anything beyond coffee or water unless I'm explicitly invited to do so (as has been the case in Asia and Latin America but not in the USA IME).

I think the situation is somewhat different if you're a frequent guest at the hotel or if you're organizing a major meeting, etc. If your convention is based at the hotel but you voluntarily decided to stay off property at some cheaper hotel, the headquarters place certainly isn't obligated to let you use its lounge as your personal office or living room, even though doing so would be extremely convenient for you.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Actually, I see this quite often and have done it myself in urgent situations. Yes, I may go to make a purchase afterwards, but when the line is long, I turn and leave.
yes, I should have clarified that I meant nice establishments and not fast food joints. Nonetheless, I cannot imagine why someone would want to do this or think it acceptable (the lounge).
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:00 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
This blog posts talks about Sheraton Frankfurt Airport but also mentions Sheraton Schipol. A fee for non-Plats but free for Plats. But it isn't clear that this is still available.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2016/07/14/...al-hotel-stay/
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: none
  1. you can do anything you want, as long as the hotel says it’s OK. Just ask first. What the hotel says is more accurate than anything you read on FT.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Allan38103
  1. you can do anything you want, as long as the hotel says it’s OK. Just ask first. What the hotel says is more accurate than anything you read on FT.
In this precise scenario, yes. For practically everything else to do with loyalty programmes I believe FT instead of whatever garbage a lazy customer service agent has invented to get me to hang up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.