Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Can I have access to hotel lounge without a stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I have access to hotel lounge without a stay?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
I’m Hilton Diamond, I’ve done this four or five times. The only time I was refused was at the Doibletree Deansgate where I was instead directed to the business centre, then had pastries, fruit and bottled water brought to me without asking.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: MB, AGR, AA
Chicago JW Marriott allows me lounge access on early check-ins

My favorite hotel in Chicago, the JW Marriott, has never denied my request for lounge access when I check in around 9:00 a.m. after getting off an overnight train, even when my room isn't ready until the afternoon. (Platinum Elite)

Last edited by timbeaux; Oct 28, 2018 at 3:59 pm Reason: Need to add additional information.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by timbeaux
My favorite hotel in Chicago, the JW Marriott, has never denied my request for lounge access when I check in around 9:00 a.m. after getting off an overnight train, even when my room isn't ready until the afternoon. (Platinum Elite)
But that would make you a guest for all intents and purposes, and this would be completely and entirely expected. Were a hotel to deny me lounge access under such a circumstance, they'd only get just that one opportunity to do so.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by timbeaux
This is typically the case, but it's not a published benefit. Some properties are explicit about early check ins not being entitled to breakfast. It can also depend on how early you arrive, essentially whether you really should have reserved and paid for the previous night.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:58 pm

I would be embarrassed to even ask such a thing if I were not staying at the hotel and I am a plat. As a gold, since you don't get access when staying at the hotel, it seems bizarre to even consider for a non-stay. On the other hand all they can do is say no. Could also stop at the hotel restaurant and ask for an extra steak and lobster for free just because. You never know.
TerryK likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
I would be embarrassed to even ask such a thing if I were not staying at the hotel and I am a plat. As a gold, since you don't get access when staying at the hotel, it seems bizarre to even consider for a non-stay. On the other hand all they can do is say no. Could also stop at the hotel restaurant and ask for an extra steak and lobster for free just because. You never know.
OP's other posts are about manufactured spend ....
Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is typically the case, but it's not a published benefit. Some properties are explicit about early check ins not being entitled to breakfast. It can also depend on how early you arrive, essentially whether you really should have reserved and paid for the previous night.
Hyatt Regency Etoile in Paris always invite me to Regency Club for breakfast when I arrive before 9 AM from East Coast. I then go for a walk down Champs Elysee after breakfast. I am given a card key for the Club and can come and go as I please. My room is never ready for check in before 3 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:52 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Threads like this remind me that my norms are not shared by all travelers.
trooper and SacTownGuy like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:03 am

I would never do this as I would be totally embarrassed if I was caught but I have been noticing lately that I am easily accessing the lounges at Marriott hotels without ever having to scan my card. I normally walk in behind someone that scans their card before me. Really is starting to make me think if people time it up correctly they can easily gain access when they are not supposed to
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:34 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Embarrassed? Caught? If you ask and the hotel grants, what is there to be embarrassed about?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Lounge access is an amenity offered to some, presumably paying, hotel guests. That said, you can always ask, but I would regard a yes as a special favor and I'd probably do something to acknowledge, even if the hotel isn't one of these:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...-gratuity.html
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Sounds really awkward to ask for a lounge access without a stay. Unless it's something of an emergency situation (and then perhaps it makes more sense to ask for a business centre access), how would you even justify such request? "Excuse me, I am a Marriott Platinum, and I am sort of hungry, may I use your lounge for an hour?" LOL

As many noted, normally hotel will allow to use the lounge on the day of check in and on the day of departure (before and after check-in, respectively). Only once in a non-Marriott property (IC) I had been rather politely told that they usually do not allow lounge usage after check-out (but I had a lounge access by booking Club room, not due to elite status). They did not mind me sitting in the lounge though.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Collierkr
First, this is a crazy question despite any one off experience to the contrary. Can you use the restroom at a restaurant that you are not purchasing a meal? Not very likely.
Sure you can; and I do it all the time, and at places ranging from McDonald's to five star restaurants. At a high end restaurant, I always ask, of course; but I've never been turned down.

Originally Posted by Collierkr
Would love to hear why OP needs lounge access?
I'll second that.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Sure you can; and I do it all the time, and at places ranging from McDonald's to five star restaurants. At a high end restaurant, I always ask, of course; but I've never been turned down.

I'll second that.
What's a five star restaurant?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What's a five star restaurant?
Like high end/fine dining

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.