Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pre arrival email: your room type is damaged, how about a credit and a up[down]grade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre arrival email: your room type is damaged, how about a credit and a up[down]grade?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres

This was a new one for me.

I have just returned home last night from 5 nights at this same hotel, heading back tomorrow for another 5 nights, got a email this morning from the front desk manager. They were writing to let me know that several of the rooms of the type I booked (corner king) have "sustained substantial damage". As such, they are low on that inventory but as a platinum and "subject to comp upgrades" they are offering me a -$35 rate reduction and a comp upgrade to a top floor king room (not corner). FWIW the non corner rooms are smaller, and much less desirable to me then a corner. I did a quick dummy booking and see the club kings they are offering me...as well as suites, all available. Am I wrong for pushing back for an actual upgraded room instead of the credit+downgrade? TBH the $35 a night doesn't matter to me since its a client booking, and as I'm there a week again I really favor the extra living/working space.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
I'd reply back and ask for a suite - and in exchange - no price discount. If that doesn't work, I'd ask again at check-in.

Originally Posted by xolinlevh

I have just returned home last night from 5 nights at this same hotel, heading back tomorrow for another 5 nights, got a email this morning from the front desk manager. They were writing to let me know that several of the rooms of the type I booked (corner king) have "sustained substantial damage". As such, they are low on that inventory but as a platinum and "subject to comp upgrades" they are offering me a -$35 rate reduction and a comp upgrade to a top floor king room (not corner). FWIW the non corner rooms are smaller, and much less desirable to me then a corner. I did a quick dummy booking and see the club kings they are offering me...as well as suites, all available. Am I wrong for pushing back for an actual upgraded room instead of the credit+downgrade? TBH the $35 a night doesn't matter to me since its a client booking, and as I'm there a week again I really favor the extra living/working space.
DJ_Iceman and nexusCFX like this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

Yeah, that is a different notice than I've ever seen. I'd be upset that I wasn't invited to the party that caused the damage! Since you were just there did you notice anything going on? Do you have any contact at the property? A quick call to find out what happened (if there is going to be considerable work going on you might want to be elsewhere) and maybe get one of the available rooms (repeat guests tend to get much better treatment than first timers). They may not have taken the time to remove the damaged rooms from inventory so don't rely upon the web.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
I honestly don't know how this benefit works (the wording is so poor that it makes it unclear as to exactly when it would work and what context) - but there is a "room type guarantee" that entitles you to compensation. You may try saying "upgrade me to a suite or give me the room guarantee compensation" (which I believe is paid to you and not deducted out of the room rate).
Old Oct 27, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ethernal
I honestly don't know how this benefit works (the wording is so poor that it makes it unclear as to exactly when it would work and what context) - but there is a "room type guarantee" that entitles you to compensation. You may try saying "upgrade me to a suite or give me the room guarantee compensation" (which I believe is paid to you and not deducted out of the room rate).
Not sure the guarantee applies with advance notice. MR is good about providing plenty of wiggle room in their terms that it's not difficult for them to get out of just about everything.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ethernal
Room type guarantee seems to apply to ‘bed type’ and smoking/non smoking in US/Canada only.

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi

Sounds like the hotel is negotiating to reduce demand for the ‘corner king’ rooms. Would guess if the OP doesn’t want the deal, they could still accommodate him in a corner king, or if it’s a bigger problem they could be willing to up the offer.

So I agree with dc - explain the situation as the trip being for business, with the $$ not mattering but that the extra space does. Inquire about a suite... who knows if they will offer it, or just find a corner king. Not wrong pushing back - can’t get something of you don’t ask. Or maybe you you could get some points out of it instead of the discount.

I’ve always wondered what cost the hotel incurs to buy points... has to be less than $.08. Say it’s $.05, then $35 discount for 5 nights would be equivalent to 35k points. Anyway, just a thought for a starting point to negotiate something of value to you.

Last edited by goldenbear; Oct 27, 2018 at 1:46 pm
Old Oct 27, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Being plat, aka former gold, isn't a high priority but your advantage is they don;t have your room type (I'd speculate water damage with several corner kings impacted). I also hate the upgrade games ... like the hotel where I had booked a pool view told me that they didn't have any suite upgrades despite the ones on the website but had "upgraded" to a quiet section at the hotel by the parking garage that listed for $50 less than the room I had booked.

That being said, I'd suggest going back and saying you consider moving to the club floor to be a downgrade from the room you had booked (check size info off website) and you would have access to the club floor as a plat but that as a plat and a repeat guest, could they confirm one of the suite upgrades in advance.

I don't think the guarantee applies here.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:08 pm

Is this property near a beautiful park and water?
getagb likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yeah, that is a different notice than I've ever seen. I'd be upset that I wasn't invited to the party that caused the damage! Since you were just there did you notice anything going on? Do you have any contact at the property? A quick call to find out what happened (if there is going to be considerable work going on you might want to be elsewhere) and maybe get one of the available rooms (repeat guests tend to get much better treatment than first timers). They may not have taken the time to remove the damaged rooms from inventory so don't rely upon the web.
When i checked in last Sunday and was asking about an upgrade the desk agent said that they had a wedding party just check out so there were a few rooms 'not ready'. Unsure if thats at all related.....

I did reply back to the email and mention the dummy booking showing suites open the entire stay i have booked.....they then replied that was an error and they dont have any suites available...sounds like its just gonna be a battle of wits once i arrive tomorrow. They did also offer to walk me to a nearby hotel for a suite instead, tho the reason i pick this one is because its attached to the client office im going to, so...rather not have to be located further away.

Last edited by xolinlevh; Oct 27, 2018 at 4:45 pm
Old Oct 27, 2018, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When i checked in last Sunday and was asking about an upgrade the desk agent said that they had a wedding party just check out so there were a few rooms 'not ready'. Unsure if thats at all related.....

I did reply back to the email and mention the dummy booking showing suites open the entire stay i have booked.....they then replied that was an error and they dont have any suites available...sounds like its just gonna be a battle of wits once i arrive tomorrow. They did also offer to walk me to a nearby hotel for a suite instead, tho the reason i pick this one is because its attached to the client office im going to, so...rather not have to be located further away.
Yes, too many put way too much faith in the webpage. It's at least two systems removed by the only one that counts and that is the property system, and even that one can't be relied upon at times. If someone forgets to tag the room as out for maintenance (or checked in as has happened) then you could be in for a surprise! If I had to guess, I'd say maybe they didn't have enough cleaning staff on hand over the weekend to turn all the rooms. I'd bet on them doing something for you maybe even changing rooms a night or two later once everything is back in play.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In any decent hotel, regardless of status, if my confirmed room type isn't available I would expect the hotel to upgrade me to a better room category or, if my confirmed rooms type isn't available, to offer a significant apology gesture in addition to a refund of the difference in room rate based either on the rate plans applicable at check in or the rate plan I booked, whichever favors me. When I reserve a room type, this isn't just an option for the hotel to later decide whether to give me that room category or not.
KRSW, controller1 and Kacee like this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Just arrived, and got given the downgraded room. When I pressed on upgrades or why theres no better rooms at all, i was told someone had rented out all the suites to use as conference rooms. Which seems bizarre as this is a conference hotel and has tons of actual conference rooms....but to make up for it they gave me a box of chocolates along with the downgrade.....
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Just arrived, and got given the downgraded room. When I pressed on upgrades or why theres no better rooms at all, i was told someone had rented out all the suites to use as conference rooms. Which seems bizarre as this is a conference hotel and has tons of actual conference rooms....but to make up for it they gave me a box of chocolates along with the downgrade.....
Personally, I would escalate to the GM and ask for the "Ultimate Reservation Guarantee" compensation (see T&C) for your particular brand. Or take the $35/night in cash instead of as a credit. If the GM declines, I would file a complaint with Marriott corporate.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO once the hotel realized that some rooms were damaged, it should have blocked sales of necessary higher category rooms in order to be sure that upgrades would be available for guests who had booked the damaged rooms. This seems like poor management to me.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still sounds like a story to get you to go away. If you can spare the time, do ask to speak with the GM and see what he/she says.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.