Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Spammers Use Marriott's Name to Sell Timeshare Vacations

Spammers Use Marriott's Name to Sell Timeshare Vacations

Old Oct 26, 18, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Angry Spammers Use Marriott's Name to Sell Timeshare Vacations

Apparently my account has randomly been drawn and I've won a free timeshare vacation... every other day... for the past two weeks.

What a junk brand Marriott is.
Old Oct 26, 18, 6:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Dia; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by OliverB View Post
Apparently my account has randomly been drawn and I've won a free timeshare vacation... every other day... for the past two weeks.

What a junk brand Marriott is.
Marriott is not making those calls. I receive those also several times a week and they appear to be from either Marriott or Hilton. But it is neither of them. It is a shyster organization masquerading as Marriott or Hilton just to get you to listen to their spiel.
Old Oct 26, 18, 6:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Not Marriott connected at all

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/bus...h-12904068.php

The FCC announced Thursday morning that it would leverage the fine against Adrian Abramovich, a Miami man who the commission said made almost 100 million spoofed robocalls over a three-month period at the end of 2016. The FCC argued that Abramovich's operation made the phony calls to trick consumers into answering and listening to his advertising messages. The fine was based on 80,000 spoofed calls the commission had verified.

Consumers also were subjected to fake robocalls offering "discounted" travel services by real companies including Expedia, Marriott, Hilton and TripAdvisor.

The FCC found that consumers were led to believe the calls were from well-known travel and hospitality companies and were prompted to "Press 1" to learn more about "exclusive" vacation offers. Those who did were then transferred to foreign call centers where operators attempted to sell them vacation packages - often involving timeshares - in places that had no relation to the actual travel or hospitality company.

Lets not contribute to bad information
Old Oct 26, 18, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Okay, well I stand corrected. Thank you.
Old Oct 26, 18, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've been getting these calls for months and months on my cell phone, which is officially registered on the "do not call" list. Most of the time the caller claims to be from Marriott, but sometimes they're uncertain which hotel chain I used to quality for the "free" vacation offer.
Old Oct 26, 18, 9:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Dia; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I've been getting these calls for months and months on my cell phone, which is officially registered on the "do not call" list. Most of the time the caller claims to be from Marriott, but sometimes they're uncertain which hotel chain I used to quality for the "free" vacation offer.
But hey, if you don't want to buy the timeshare vacation then they can sell you an extended warranty or lower the interest rates on your credit cards!
C17PSGR and windscar like this.
Old Oct 26, 18, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I've been getting these calls for months and months on my cell phone, which is officially registered on the "do not call" list. Most of the time the caller claims to be from Marriott,
You answer unknown callers on you cell phone?
Old Oct 26, 18, 11:13 pm

I've been getting these calls for years on one of our office back-lines. Definitely isn't from Marriott corp. One time, out of boredom, I entertained one of the callers whilst simultaneously sending a few messages to friends and we traced the calls to a call center in St. Petersburg, FL. Fortunately they normally use the same area code + NPA, so we just blacklisted them and haven't heard from them since.

I fear all of the blacklists will soon be obsolete though. A few of the scammers are now using ANY random caller ID when calling people. This month I had two employees tell me they had someone call them & say they got a call from their #, legitimately, not some scammer trying to use that as a gateway into a sales pitch.
Old Oct 27, 18, 5:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Tit, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
Unless you never leave or talk to anyone outside of your country, unknown calls are going to be a bit part of your life.
Old Oct 27, 18, 6:12 am

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.
yes I do as it is part of my business. Fortunately these guys always call me from the same area code and first 3 numbers, so I no longer answer their calls.
Old Oct 27, 18, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
Unless you never leave or talk to anyone outside of your country, unknown calls are going to be a bit part of your life.
I have no idea why it matters if it's someone inside or outside your home country. I rarely answer my cell phone. If it's a legitimate call, they'll leave a message. It's only part of your life if you let it be.
smc333 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 18, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Does it matter if cell phone or office phone or home phone? Some of us do have the luxury of ignoring unknown callers. But if I'm using to for business that's not typically a wise call. I am very comfortable leaving messages but I need to get something done, I'm gonna keep calling people until I find someone wanting my business. I have several VoIP numbers that roll to my cell phone. I can set it up where the caller is required to press a number to be put through. This pretty much twarts all robocallers since they aren't listening to begin with. And I can force unknown callers to VM where they can be instructed to release their caller ID to get a live body.
Old Oct 27, 18, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Iíve been blocking calls like this for months. They use virtually all the hotel chains names in their calls.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: