Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Need Recommendation for Spain or Italy

Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:43 am
Original Poster

My wife and I will be in Europe next summer in June. I have a 7 day package, Cat 8 to book now. I was told by Marriott I could book through Cat 7 now. What are your recommendations for an outstanding property for 7 days somewhere in Spain or Italy. I am lifetime Platinum.

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:54 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It really depends what you’re looking for. The St Regis Florence and the Gritti Palace in Venice are two of the best properties in the system.

If you need 7 days in one place i’d go with a city you’re happy spending a lot of time in: something like Barcelona (Hotel Arts or Cotton House) or Rome (St Regis) come to mind rather than the smaller, more touristy places - if it were for less time I’d look at something like the Marquis de Riscal.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Gritti is probably the best hotel I've ever stayed at. But 7 days in Venice is probably far too long. Maybe throw a dart at the Cat 8 list for those two countries and pick whichever one it hits? You probably won't go wrong.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:26 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CLEguy
Gritti is probably the best hotel I've ever stayed at. But 7 days in Venice is probably far too long. Maybe throw a dart at the Cat 8 list for those two countries and pick whichever one it hits? You probably won't go wrong.

In 2007 my husband and I spent 14 days in Venice split between the Gritti and Danieli. We absolutely loved our visit and had a chance to explore so many places. In 7 days one would have time to visit Burano and Torcello or take a day trip to the Prosecco vinyards. You would also have time to explore “hidden Venice” the neighborhoods where most tourists never venture.

But Spain also has wonderful hotels-

And you didn’t mention Greece but we just had a wonderful relaxing 5 night stay at Domes of Elounda- that would be another option
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by damon88

In 2007 my husband and I spent 14 days in Venice split between the Gritti and Danieli. We absolutely loved our visit and had a chance to explore so many places. In 7 days one would have time to visit Burano and Torcello or take a day trip to the Prosecco vinyards. You would also have time to explore “hidden Venice” the neighborhoods where most tourists never venture.

But Spain also has wonderful hotels-

And you didn’t mention Greece but we just had a wonderful relaxing 5 night stay at Domes of Elounda- that would be another option
To each their own! We simply didn't care much for Venice. So it goes. One of the wonderful aspects of SPG was the incredible high-end footprint in Europe. OP will suffer from an abundance of choice, I fear.
damon88 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:02 am

Just my 2 cents... After much debate, I chose the Pantheon Iconic Rome for my trip next August. I too will be using a 7 night travel cert.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Picking a place to go because of a hotel is backwards thinking. Pick a place you want to go, then figure out the best hotel for you at that location. Unless it's a cookie cutter all-inclusive in the Caribbean or something of the like, I assume you will be leaving the hotel to see some sights, hit some restaurants, all the fun stuff.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Hyatt Discoverist / IHG Diamond / American Airlines Executive Platinum
The St. Regis and Westin Excelsior in Florence are both Category 7. My wife and I stayed at the Westin a couple years ago and it was maybe the best hotel stay we have ever had, easily rivaling any Ritz-Carlton, Four Seasons, etc. I don't know about the St. Regis because we did not stay there, but many here rave about it. All I know is the Westin had amazing service, was beautiful, and perfectly located. I could spend a week in Florence multiple times a year! But if you want more than Florence you are near many hill towns, Pisa, Siena, etc.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by catocony
Picking a place to go because of a hotel is backwards thinking. Pick a place you want to go, then figure out the best hotel for you at that location. Unless it's a cookie cutter all-inclusive in the Caribbean or something of the like, I assume you will be leaving the hotel to see some sights, hit some restaurants, all the fun stuff.
Normally I would agree, but you aren't staying at a Category 7/8 hotel to leave at 8am for sightseeing and to arrive back at 10pm after dinner... You might as well stay somewhere far cheaper if that's your plan.

You really can't go wrong with any of the ultra top end SPG hotels in Southern Europe.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:38 pm

I stay at a top hotel for the comfy bed, good bathrooms, solid concierge lounge and the fact that if something is wrong they'll at least try and fix it. I don't know of too many people who fly around the world to sit in a hotel 24 hours a day.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I stay at a top hotel for the comfy bed, good bathrooms, solid concierge lounge and the fact that if something is wrong they'll at least try and fix it. I don't know of too many people who fly around the world to sit in a hotel 24 hours a day.
Just as well you’re posting on perhaps the world’s best forum to find them then (well, not 24 hours a day - that’s obviously just hyperbole). Needless to say if you just want the basics and a lounge then the former top tier Starwood hotels with Michelin starred restaurants, Butlers and 500 year old buildings and furnishings might not be the best choice for you.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:35 pm

I never eat at hotel restaurants and have zero desire for the snobby Euro hotel experience.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:08 pm

That is of course up to you and is absolutely no problem! It just means that your advice is perhaps not that relevant to someone looking to book a future Cat 8 hotel.
makin'miles and craigthemif like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:33 pm

Except I've spent well over a thousand nights at hotels currently in the Cat 8 territory and above. So, I think my advice is relevant. Maybe not with the Grey Poupon crowd, but I don't see any indication from the OP that he's the type that will only stay in step and fetch properties.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:42 pm

Except I've spent well over a thousand nights at hotels currently in the Cat 8 territory and above. So, I think my advice is relevant. Maybe not with the Grey Poupon crowd, but I don't see any indication from the OP that he's the type that will only stay in step and fetch properties.
I don't think we're going to get anywhere with this conversation, so I should really finish here... But seeing as the current max category is Cat 7 which includes almost no Marriott hotels and just a few handfuls of Starwood hotels and I can't think of any which contain the lounge you prioritise, I'm going to call ........ on you having spent over 1,000 nights in these properties. But of course everyone is welcome to contribute on Flyertalk, and maybe you've sussed out the OP better than others here!
craigthemif likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.