Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Negotiating Yearly Rate At A Marriott Property

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Negotiating Yearly Rate At A Marriott Property

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Marriott15
It ranges per hotel because sometimes I can't get into the hotel I want because of the price being over $200. So I would say 18-20 nights a year if I was able to get into the hotel I wanted every time for the whole year!
I'd expect that 20 room nights per year is too little to get most hotel sales managers excited. I'm glad it worked for you with with that one hotel.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: M&M Senator, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I'd expect that 20 room nights per year is too little to get most hotel sales managers excited. I'm glad it worked for you with with that one hotel.
I am staying in IHG hotel chain 150-200 night per year (both business and private). My recommendation is to be loyal to one hotel chain. Then its easier to get upgrades / additional benefits even if you are in new hotel for short stay. They see the status.

And one more thing - dont be shy and ask nicely. You might be surprised, but be also prepared for polite “No”.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Status isn't going to get you a discounted rate a hotel such as the OP is trying to do. This is about people who will be staying at a single hotel a significant (at least to them) number of nights over a given period of time.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:09 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by catocony
Status isn't going to get you a discounted rate a hotel such as the OP is trying to do. This is about people who will be staying at a single hotel a significant (at least to them) number of nights over a given period of time.
Status absolutely can help. An intro from an Ambassador never hurts, and I find that Sales Directors often seem more willing to make a one-off deal for a frequent customer of the chain than they are for a random walking off the street.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
Exactly this. Always do your own work and make the best decisions you can for your own situation.

Corporate travel rarely has your best interest in mind, so I would not bring them into something unless I absolutely had to. Usually your reward for doing so is to screw yourself over.
GregWTravels and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Originally Posted by writerguyfl

Another way to put it: An individual represents at-most 365 (occasionally 366) room nights each year. A corporate contract can represent thousands of room nights annually. At the larger hotel where I worked, our largest corporate client was responsible for over 40,000 room nights annually.
40,000 room nights annually at a single hotel!?! Holy hell thats when the corporation needs to just buy their own hotel. Okay back on topic. It varies tremendously from property to property and even sales person to sales person. I’ve never tried to negotiate extra points (that seems like more of a Hilton and IHG thing) but I have negotiated automatic club level for the team (back when the only Marriott property I stayed at was this one and I was a lowly Silver. This was a hotel that was new and beautiful but they struggled with getting a regular business following because it was a small Capitol city. IME our our best results was to set a meeting with a sales person while staying at the property. If you can commit to a set schedule and book them all on the spot that’s even better. Certainly the days of week matter as well as their basic expected occupancy as well as nights your committing to matter. At the better locations this also resulted in a direct email line to the sales team which was like haveing an on-site ambassador. I never abused it with crazy requests but I will say that they also managed to always get us even last minute rooms on a few “sold out” nights and this was for multiple rooms.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: M&M Senator, IHG Spire Elite
I am talking exactly about this - once I had similar issue while travelled to Canada. Only after booking done I realized that all fees, charges, taxes are on top and I was over budget. In Europe I am receiving total cost includimg everything die to regulation. Called once, the guy asked if he should cancel my reservation, not offering any solution. Than I called again and complained in a hotel, suddenly we found solution to get into budget. And it was only 20 day stay.

They cancelled my breakfast, made some magic with rate and finaly I was in budget. However, I was also upgraded to suite, I got access to lounge, got fruit basket to room every second day and got offered limousine transfer to office daily. My stay was great, company was happy and hotel got their revenue.

I believe that with status this is much easier.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by AUSINSIGHT
Exactly this. Always do your own work and make the best decisions you can for your own situation
Within the bounds of my corporate policy, I have been extremely successful in maximising benefits for myself. But then my corporate is a global organisation, so travel is very well managed and with deep discounts, including all the program benefits.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

I am Ambassador with Marriott, Spire with IHG, and Diamond with Hilton. I have earned Ambassador and Spire but actually making the required stays and have been matched with Hilton.

I am going to try to see what these hotels will say when I reach out to them. Will be interesting to see if $4,000 per year is worth their time or not. Like other people said the lesser hotels seem like the hotels that may want to work with me!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I am Ambassador with Marriott, Spire with IHG, and Diamond with Hilton. I have earned Ambassador and Spire but actually making the required stays and have been matched with Hilton.

I am going to try to see what these hotels will say when I reach out to them. Will be interesting to see if $4,000 per year is worth their time or not. Like other people said the lesser hotels seem like the hotels that may want to work with me!
Your choice of Flyertalk handle not looking so clever now, huh?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:45 am

I appreciate all the information! This was very helpful! Did you ever have anyone ask for points with the lower rate? One of my main tactics when I got this Holiday Inn deal was telling the reservation manager that there are so many options in your city but your hotel is my favorite. She then asked me what is most important things I look for in booking a hotel and my answer to her was getting as many points possible and that's when she offered me the 5k point package!
Points were never really an issue. That hotel pretty much offered them to everyone, regardless of rate. The cost of points was so small compared to the rest of the costs of renting a room (utilities and labor), neither of the General Managers or the Controller I worked under during the 8ish years I was there worried about them. Excluding points on locally-negotiated rates wasn't something we did.

Offering additional points as an incentive can be hit or miss. I think many FlyerTalkers would be astonished at the number of guests who aren't members of frequent guest programs. I know that was something that perplexed me when I first started working in hotels. It didn't make sense for people to not collect them...particularly when it's work who is paying. But, different people value things differently.

But, don't be afraid to ask. As I noted, no one at the hotel will get offended if you ask for something reasonable. For example, if you can't get a discounted rate, there's nothing wrong with asking for some bonus points if you become a repeat guest. The worst thing you'll hear is a "no".

There's lots of good advice here. I like dulciusexasperis' suggestion of asking for something that would cost very little for the hotel to provide.

Originally Posted by ucfjoe
40,000 room nights annually at a single hotel!?! Holy hell thats when the corporation needs to just buy their own hotel.
Yeah, we were pretty blessed to be physically connected to the headquarters of a Fortune 50 company. They always got spectacular rates because of the volume of room nights they provided. Their rate was roughly half of our normal week-day rate.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
If there are a lot of weekend nights in there as well, most hotels will be more open to working with you. If it's in an area that's fairly seasonable, that will help too. Generally speaking, large hotels that are filled up with business travelers Mon-Thurs night, and then with tourists on weekends, 52 weeks a year, don't have a huge incentive for any single guest's loyalty. Places like Florida, where hotel rates crater in the summer, will be more likely to offer a solid discount if you'll be staying consistently year round.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:47 am
Suspended

I think some are missing my point. I am not suggesting how to get more points, nor suggesting trying to negotiate anything through a chain. I am suggesting dealing directly with the hotel itself and I wouldn't expect you to get anywhere for just 18-20 nights.

Just because a hotel is part of a chain, in the case I gave, it was the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, what happened with me had absolutely NOTHING to do with Fairmont and everything to do with the Hotel Vancouver sales manager himself. It was an offer by one person (hotel sales manager) to another person (me) intended to keep a customer that would spend enough nights (roughly 200 overall) to be worth doing something to keep that person (me) returning to that hotel. That hotel sales manager 'locked me in' if you like. It isn't as if I would be likely to just say one week, 'ah, time to try another hotel for a change', not when my wardrobe was waiting for me. That was a smart sales manager who basically guaranteed his hotel 200 nights at NO COST to the hotel. It as all about how HE could look good to his hotel manager and produce a 'win' for HIS hotel, not the chain. You can be sure he told his boss that he had just secured 200 nights at no cost to the hotel.

People do business with people, not corporations. If you can't see that you have to get it to that personal level if you are the one deciding to try and initiate some kind of extras that benefit you, then you don't understand how sales works. I let you win IF I see that I win. That sales manager got a win by giving me a win. If I had approached him before he approached me, with the same suggestions, he would no doubt have agreed to my request for an upgrade, laundry and wardrobe.

No matter how many nights you might stay in one hotel or multiple hotels in a chain, your business is of no significance to the CHAIN overall. If you work with a large enough corporation, your corporation account overall may be significant enough to the Chain to get an overall discount for all your corporations bookings but it will NOT get you PERSONALLY anything more.

What gets you PERSONALLY more, is when you propose an exchange that gets SOMEONE else more. That is what 'win/win' means. It's between 2 people.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:40 am

But others (including myself) have replied that we have experience that the chain (I.e. status) actually can matter and we have multiple examples of it having been the case. I do not think we are missing the point, we are saying that maybe your experiences don’t capture the full picture.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
I think some are missing my point. I am not suggesting how to get more points, nor suggesting trying to negotiate anything through a chain. I am suggesting dealing directly with the hotel itself and I wouldn't expect you to get anywhere for just 18-20 nights.

Just because a hotel is part of a chain, in the case I gave, it was the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, what happened with me had absolutely NOTHING to do with Fairmont and everything to do with the Hotel Vancouver sales manager himself. It was an offer by one person (hotel sales manager) to another person (me) intended to keep a customer that would spend enough nights (roughly 200 overall) to be worth doing something to keep that person (me) returning to that hotel. That hotel sales manager 'locked me in' if you like. It isn't as if I would be likely to just say one week, 'ah, time to try another hotel for a change', not when my wardrobe was waiting for me. That was a smart sales manager who basically guaranteed his hotel 200 nights at NO COST to the hotel. It as all about how HE could look good to his hotel manager and produce a 'win' for HIS hotel, not the chain. You can be sure he told his boss that he had just secured 200 nights at no cost to the hotel.

People do business with people, not corporations. If you can't see that you have to get it to that personal level if you are the one deciding to try and initiate some kind of extras that benefit you, then you don't understand how sales works. I let you win IF I see that I win. That sales manager got a win by giving me a win. If I had approached him before he approached me, with the same suggestions, he would no doubt have agreed to my request for an upgrade, laundry and wardrobe.

No matter how many nights you might stay in one hotel or multiple hotels in a chain, your business is of no significance to the CHAIN overall. If you work with a large enough corporation, your corporation account overall may be significant enough to the Chain to get an overall discount for all your corporations bookings but it will NOT get you PERSONALLY anything more.

What gets you PERSONALLY more, is when you propose an exchange that gets SOMEONE else more. That is what 'win/win' means. It's between 2 people.
Your comments about corporate vs personal are simply wrong. I was able to benefit from the corporate arrangements as well as personally with individual hotels, especially one where I now have over 100 stays (not nights). However, I wouldn’t attempt to claim my experience is the only possible or best one, as you do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.