Search

MR - Point accounting

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
MR - Point accounting

How does one go about accounting for points? I have what appear to be random point deposits occurring, occasionally with no line item in the activity page. Sometime I can tie them back to activity (the points post first then the nights), other times it seems to be related to my Marriott credit card.

Is there a good way to track points?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Antarius
How does one go about accounting for points? I have what appear to be random point deposits occurring, occasionally with no line item in the activity page. Sometime I can tie them back to activity (the points post first then the nights), other times it seems to be related to my Marriott credit card.

Is there a good way to track points?
The sad part is there is no requirement that the totals match the sum of the transactions. Both items are updated via sweeps of the back office systems updating the web database. These events are not synchronized. You may be able to get a CSR to explain the total balance, but probably best to just wait a few days for the transaction list to come current.
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Bumping this thread for another question.

Does anyone use a spreadsheet to track nights, points, dollars? I've been running into issues where my $$ and points are waaaay off (i'm credit points only for a bar tab and not my stay etc.) and its impossible to keep track of.

Some of the discrepancies are so large, that I'm now feeling like I need to watch like a hawk.
Fizzer likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Antarius
Bumping this thread for another question.

Does anyone use a spreadsheet to track nights, points, dollars? I've been running into issues where my $$ and points are waaaay off (i'm credit points only for a bar tab and not my stay etc.) and its impossible to keep track of.

Some of the discrepancies are so large, that I'm now feeling like I need to watch like a hawk.
Yes, I treat my loyalty accounts like a bank account and track not only history, but future travel as well. This lets me forecast my status at year-end and if I need to increase my activity to make the targeted tier. If you value the perks of the program then yes, YOU need to track it. Just like with hotel confirmations, DO NOT rely upon their system to retain the data. If it's changed or lost you may be stuck with the new situation unless you can prove the rate details at the time of booking.

And yes, I over do it. My airline workbook includes a mileage lookup from historical data so I don't have to keep inputting the numbers.
Antarius and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
But be warned that having a spreadsheet still doesn't make things add up. I meticulously record all deposits and withdrawals (and what I think they should be for stays) as well as the balance. Every now and then, the numbers go off, and there is no way to reconcile them. Usually just a few hundred points, but enough to drive me crazy. I've called Customer Service to see what they see on their end, and it's the same numbers that are on my spreadsheet, but the balance doesn't add up!

And in case someone thinks that it's my poor accounting, I've been tracking my SPG deposits/withdrawals for 15 years, and the numbers always added up!
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I don't track them by spreadsheet but usually take a look as they are credited.

In well over 2000 Marriott nights, the only mistake I've seen relates to the plat bonus that occasionally doesn't get credited. Otherwise, food/drink/spa charges have always been credited properly.

I do know that SPG properties didn't credit points for somethings that Marriott does and there do seem to be reports on here for people not getting credit for some spend at SPG properties -- particularly in Asia. I'm not sure this is part of the "resistance" or if its a coding problem converting spend from Lightspeed into the Marriott system. Hopefully, that will be eliminated with properties using Marsha.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:15 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I don’t have any real tracking, but I eyeball rough points and normally check on $2,000+ stays that the numbers roughly add up.

In SPG days I routinely had issues with F&B not being correctly listed and sometimes randomly got 20-30% less than i’d expect from what i suspect could have been dodgy FX work.

Under Marriott so far it’s been more random: missing stays, incorrect bonus points, some complete random numbers, ironically only a couple of mis-coded F&B. Bizarrely, my last $400 stay which was mainly room rate only got me 300 points. Luckily my Ambassador is usually able to fix these things pretty quickly. Sure he’s even more bored of this part of his job than i am.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I don't track them by spreadsheet but usually take a look as they are credited.

In well over 2000 Marriott nights, the only mistake I've seen relates to the plat bonus that occasionally doesn't get credited. Otherwise, food/drink/spa charges have always been credited properly.

I do know that SPG properties didn't credit points for somethings that Marriott does and there do seem to be reports on here for people not getting credit for some spend at SPG properties -- particularly in Asia. I'm not sure this is part of the "resistance" or if its a coding problem converting spend from Lightspeed into the Marriott system. Hopefully, that will be eliminated with properties using Marsha.
Would you notice if your balance was off by a couple of hundred points by eyeballing it? I know I wouldn't if it wasn't written down on my spreadsheet.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Would you notice if your balance was off by a couple of hundred points by eyeballing it? I know I wouldn't if it wasn't written down on my spreadsheet.
No but ... I'd notice if the earnings from the stay was off by any material amount.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
No but ... I'd notice if the earnings from the stay was off by any material amount.
The line items are fine (except for the missing welcome amenity now and then). The balance doesn’t jive with the line items! I have to keep adjusting the balance with phantom numbers.

I’m not an accountant, but I am an engineer. I expect my spreadsheet totals to add up.
Fizzer likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.
What a Mess!

My family travels a-lot and this new Marriott accounting of points is killing me.....! have one room for 5 nights......Son has his room for 2 nights......Daughter has her room for 4 nights. Son checks out of room after two nights, I receive credit for two night stay. Then I receive No credit for My Room or my daughters room????? Which necessitates me having to scan and send the bills and wait 3-4 weeks to have proper Marriott credit credited.....What a pain in the ....... We used to have up to three rooms and you got credit for all three regardless of overlap etc.....as long as it was in my name and I paid.....This new system is archaic.....Not sure how much I can take. UGH.
Fizzer likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:31 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I’ve been standard top tier with both Marriott and IHG for over a decade now. Point problems with IHG are all but unknown, credit quickly and accurately every time. Two missing stays in over a decade. Marriott is a much sadder story, usually a missing stay every year and at around a quarter of stays experiencing significant point shorting.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYCtraveler
My family travels a-lot and this new Marriott accounting of points is killing me.....! have one room for 5 nights......Son has his room for 2 nights......Daughter has her room for 4 nights. Son checks out of room after two nights, I receive credit for two night stay. Then I receive No credit for My Room or my daughters room????? Which necessitates me having to scan and send the bills and wait 3-4 weeks to have proper Marriott credit credited.....What a pain in the ....... We used to have up to three rooms and you got credit for all three regardless of overlap etc.....as long as it was in my name and I paid.....This new system is archaic.....Not sure how much I can take. UGH.
I think what's messing things up is the different dates of the stays. I thought I read somewhere the multiple room credit needed to be for the same dates and not a revolving door. With the different programs having had different rules heaven only knows who's going to decide what we get. I'm reading many posts where the CSRs are not fully versed with the new program and insist they are right. We have to keep informed and push back when they are wrong.

I do remember some snafu where someone had overlapping stays and for some funny reason the system (or night auditor) chose to only post the stay that garnered the lowest credit.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Under Marriott so far it’s been more random: missing stays, incorrect bonus points, some complete random numbers, ironically only a couple of mis-coded F&B. Bizarrely, my last $400 stay which was mainly room rate only got me 300 points. Luckily my Ambassador is usually able to fix these things pretty quickly. Sure he’s even more bored of this part of his job than i am.
this is what has happened to me. Twice, I received points only for F&B and none for the stay. Ended up having to call to get it adjusted. The only reason I noticed is the number was off by a large amount. Its easy to notice when a 2 week RC stay gets you 2000 points total.

The smaller stuff? Who knows what's going on.

What also baffles me is how the header totals dont match the sum of the details. From an IT standpoint, the design confuses me as it appears the numbers are sourced from different tables. I have situations where the total posts some points that have no line item details and some cases where the mobile app shows an updated total but the website does not.

starting Jan 1, I am going to track things in a spreadsheet. Points aside, there are lots of things like lifetime nights, Ambassador spend etc that do not have supporting detail records anywhere.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
I find the total lack of transparency in the source of points to be frustrating. Sure I had errors in posting points/ stays etc with SPG but they were easy to see and very easy to have corrected. Now I just get, as others have said, random deposits, not clearly attributed and I have to accept them and trust that MR got them right. My problem is that MR doesn't have my trust yet. In fact, based upon my experience so far they have earned my mistrust, suspicion and cynicism. Illogical perhaps but still reality and no way, IMHO, to preserve or generate loyalty. All is not bad with the merger and there have been some positives, but from my perspective more negatives than positives so far.
margarita girl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.