Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

So close to Platinum: Need strategy to cross the finish line

So close to Platinum: Need strategy to cross the finish line

Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Texan4life
I'm the OP-- I know you asked the question for @SacTownGuy but want to make sure you check this: I believe that Plats do not get lounge access or breakfast at Ritz Carltons (and possibly other high end properties you're planning to visit). Before the merger, Marriott Plats only had lounge access and breakfast at Marriotts (excluding resorts) JWs, Autographs, Renaissance, and Deltas.

You may want to verify which of the premium properties will offer these benefits and factor that into your mattress run cost/benefit calculation.

From the Marriott website:
Good call out... this is definitely worth looking into.

I still think I'm going to easily come out ahead of the mattress run cost but if I'm wrong would love for someone to tell me different. I will take this advice though and walk through each property individually.

Edit: I don't particular care about lounge access (it would be nice but not a deal breaker) however at this link:

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi

It looks like RC does not include breakfast as a Plat Amenity however St Regis does, and breakfast definitely does matter to me. I could switch the RC to a StR in my case, I was pretty torn between the two anyway.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:35 pm

I've got 39 nights at Marriott this year and 12 some at Sheraton - from first half of calendar year - do the two count together for plat status in combined program or?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by tygran37
Yeah I was kinda thinking this is probably the case sadly. Sucks cause the cheapest near me is 12,500 a night, there are no cat 1s around here.

If I did this on points I'd want to do 5 night stays (for 5th night free) but if it's close by I could pop over and toss a towel on the floor and mess up the bed or something a couple times.

I don't think a meeting is an option since I'm on a plat challenge but maybe...
If youre going to do a few high end properties next year, your strategy makes sense. I noticed you are on a Platinum challenge and IIRC, award stays dont count in towards the challenge but I would confirm this to be sure.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by rooivalk

If youre going to do a few high end properties next year, your strategy makes sense. I noticed you are on a Platinum challenge and IIRC, award stays dont count in towards the challenge but I would confirm this to be sure.

Yeah there's a whole thread on the plat challenge... I have a full copy of the terms and conditions which *do* state explicitly that awards stays count. However in the past for Marriott challenges I don't think that was ever the case before.

However, Marriott CSRs don't seem to have a clue about what the deal is with this challenge so they've been telling lots of different people lots of different things...
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Don't expect it to work for the full 10 nights. Many properties violate the DND so no advantage there. Expect at some point housekeeping will enter the room and if it appears no one has been there will report that to the front desk and you're likely to be checked out at that point. If you book a few weekends and do this showing up on Friday night for a three-night stay and repeat it a few times, then it might work out.
I agree, doing phantom stays (check in, put out the DND sign, mess up the bedsheets, and leave) works well for short stays. There have been anecdotes in this forum about hotels figuring out, one way or another after a few days, that the guest is no longer using the room and "helpfully" checking them out early. A one-night phantom stay is foolproof, for two nights it's nearly certain to work, beyond that the chance of something going wrong gradually increases. By 10 nights I'd expect a very high chance of it. So, like RogerD408 and others have suggested, I recommend doing 10 nights as multiple shorter stays.

I understand going back for multiple stays is challenging with the hotel not being nearby and with only 10 weeks left in the year. If you do it as one stay and it works, I think we'd all love to hear about it. OTOH, consider the alternative of doing trips that are not pure mattress runs but something more like stay-cations.

For example, at various times I've planned discretionary hotel stays to hit promo targets. City 2 hours away has a few museums we haven't seen? Let's plan a weekend trip! Evening show at a theater 90 minutes away? Let's stay nearby that night instead of driving home and arriving at midnight. Got nieces and nephews? Book a hotel with an indoor pool and invite your sister/brother over; the kids love splashing around in the water.
GregWTravels likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by NDS88
I've got 39 nights at Marriott this year and 12 some at Sheraton - from first half of calendar year - do the two count together for plat status in combined program or?
yes, combine now and you will be Platinum instantly.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I agree, doing phantom stays (check in, put out the DND sign, mess up the bedsheets, and leave) works well for short stays. There have been anecdotes in this forum about hotels figuring out, one way or another after a few days, that the guest is no longer using the room and "helpfully" checking them out early. A one-night phantom stay is foolproof, for two nights it's nearly certain to work, beyond that the chance of something going wrong gradually increases. By 10 nights I'd expect a very high chance of it. So, like RogerD408 and others have suggested, I recommend doing 10 nights as multiple shorter stays.

I understand going back for multiple stays is challenging with the hotel not being nearby and with only 10 weeks left in the year. If you do it as one stay and it works, I think we'd all love to hear about it. OTOH, consider the alternative of doing trips that are not pure mattress runs but something more like stay-cations.

For example, at various times I've planned discretionary hotel stays to hit promo targets. City 2 hours away has a few museums we haven't seen? Let's plan a weekend trip! Evening show at a theater 90 minutes away? Let's stay nearby that night instead of driving home and arriving at midnight. Got nieces and nephews? Book a hotel with an indoor pool and invite your sister/brother over; the kids love splashing around in the water.
....and the pool is for hotel guests only, not random friends and family who aren't staying at the hotel.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: EK Gold / SPG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Okto
Have you held a "meeting" yet? 10 nights right there...
Can anyone share their experience is booking a meeting for qualifying nights? Is 10 nights EQN the standard for any type of meeting or is there is minimum stay, rooms requirements, min spend etc? Thanks
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
I qualified via the SPG platinum challenge in Dec 2017. This year, I am now Platinum Premier at 76 nights currently.
My question: will annual choice benefits kick in after Dec 31 or should they have by now? Have not received anything so far.
Just wondering since it's my first year of requalification and I'm new to the process. Thank you.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Miles and More
Can anyone share their experience is booking a meeting for qualifying nights? Is 10 nights EQN the standard for any type of meeting or is there is minimum stay, rooms requirements, min spend etc? Thanks
There's a whole thread on meetings within this form. You can look up the nuances there. But here are the bottom line facts as I experienced them last June:

There was no minimum stay or spend.

It's critically important to mention the EQN to the event managers when shopping for the venue. Many have not even heard of the Rewarding Meetings program.

Insist that your Marriott Rewards number be put in the contract next to your name.

My ten EQ nights posted about a week after my meeting. It was a daytime meeting and no overnight rooms were involved. A few other aspects of my meeting may or may not be helpful:

1. My meeting was a "legitimate" business meeting with 12 attendees. Here on FlyerTalk, I've read about people who scheduled a one or two-person meeting at an inexpensive property. Then they planned to just show up, sit in the room a few minutes doing nothing, and claim their EQN. I don't know if that hack worked.

2. My meeting was at a Marriott in a major west coast city. I also received a very competitive bid from a Courtyard nearby but favored the Marriott because of its location. I mention this because I'm not sure if you'd be equally successful at an SPG property.

3. I made sure that the Event Manager knew that there was high potential for repeat business from my organization. I also made it clear (politely) that getting those ten EQNs was THE factor that made me choose Marriott over a comparable Hilton nearby. This may not have made any difference but it couldn't have hurt. The Event Manager made a point of assuring me I'd get my nights and was extremely attentive on every aspect of my meeting. The entire meeting staff was great.

4. The space alone cost roughly $500 and we also bought a beverage and light snack from the hotel's catering department. I don't know if that mattered at all. But I'm not sure you'd get the same quick EQM result holding a two-person hour-long meeting at a Fairfield Inn.
flockavelliFT likes this.

Last edited by Alohashirt; Oct 23, 2018 at 6:27 am Reason: formatting
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: EK Gold / SPG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Alohashirt
There's a whole thread on meetings within this form. You can look up the nuances there. But here are the bottom line facts as I experienced them last June:

There was no minimum stay or spend.

It's critically important to mention the EQN to the event managers when shopping for the venue. Many have not even heard of the Rewarding Meetings program.

Insist that your Marriott Rewards number be put in the contract next to your name.

My ten EQ nights posted about a week after my meeting. It was a daytime meeting and no overnight rooms were involved. A few other aspects of my meeting may or may not be helpful:

1. My meeting was a "legitimate" business meeting with 12 attendees. Here on FlyerTalk, I've read about people who scheduled a one or two-person meeting at an inexpensive property. Then they planned to just show up, sit in the room a few minutes doing nothing, and claim their EQN. I don't know if that hack worked.

2. My meeting was at a Marriott in a major west coast city. I also received a very competitive bid from a Courtyard nearby but favored the Marriott because of its location. I mention this because I'm not sure if you'd be equally successful at an SPG property.

3. I made sure that the Event Manager knew that there was high potential for repeat business from my organization. I also made it clear (politely) that getting those ten EQNs was THE factor that made me choose Marriott over a comparable Hilton nearby. This may not have made any difference but it couldn't have hurt. The Event Manager made a point of assuring me I'd get my nights and was extremely attentive on every aspect of my meeting. The entire meeting staff was great.

4. The space alone cost roughly $500 and we also bought a beverage and light snack from the hotel's catering department. I don't know if that mattered at all. But I'm not sure you'd get the same quick EQM result holding a two-person hour-long meeting at a Fairfield Inn.
This is extremely helpful, thank you very much! I will search for forum in more detail for further intel
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by tygran37
I think I have a somewhat realistic expectation for the benefit and I think in my case (a number of nights at high dollar/high category hotels next year) I will get more out of it costs me to achieve it.

As I said I need 10 nights. I can do that for ~$1000 or 100,000 points. I also have 2x SPG Lux Credits I can apply to this if I go the cash route so if I utilize the credits (which does mean I lose out on something else) I can do it for ~$400. The points route is @ 12,500 per night x 8. Unfortunately I do not have any cat 1 marriott anywhere all that close by (closest is ~3.5 hour drive @ 6,000 per night).

I have a 7 night stay next year at the St Regis Maldives. Just getting breakfast alone at this resort is worth what... $120 per day (for 2)? I believe there are supposed to further discounts that come with Plat on top of that. In addition I have stays at Mystique Santorini, Grand Bretagne Athens, Ritz Carlton Abu Dhabi, Al Maha Dubai and St Regis NYC all already booked next year.

I have to think I get my mattress run cost back with that lineup coming up for Plat.... would you disagree with that as a long term Plat?

You get more value as a plat at higher end properties unless, as someone else pointed out, they are too high end. Then all you get is a "thank you for being plat" at reception which is worth nothing. You also get higher bonus points. I am just saying I not been overly impressed with Marriott. I like suites and have gotten very few over the years. The one year I was Hyatt Diamond my rate for suites was over 50% including one presidential suite. I would not spend much money or effort on a mattress run if it were me.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:06 am

I have exactly 40 nights of Marriott stays so far this year, not counting the 15 nights of elite credit I'll get with my Chase Marriott Rewards Signature Visa. Unfortunately, Chase says Marriott only posts those award nights 6-8 weeks AFTER I renew the card on my anniversary date. My anniversary date is on or around November 15th.

Chase won't allow me to pre-pay the renewal fee. Consequently, Marriott doesn't have to give me the 15 nights until January. My guess is that they probably won't credit those nights until they absolutely have to. I don't want my 40 nights to count for nothing when I'm only 10 nights away from Plat.

All of my business travel is finished for the rest of the year. A 10-night "mattress run" seems like too much money and effort to be realistic. I could really use some advice on this. Are there any steps I can take to make sure I get those final nights needed?

to OP, so whats the strategy for you? Just curious as it appears just waiting for the CC nights will be the fastest and cheapest or going on the 10-night mattress run. But if you do the 10-night mattress run and the CC nights also credit, we can discuss strategies on getting another 15-nights for PP
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

to OP, so whats the strategy for you? Just curious as it appears just waiting for the CC nights will be the fastest and cheapest or going on the 10-night mattress run.
Actually, I learned that my anniversary date was this week-- not mid-November. Much to my surprise and delight, the nights posted today and my status has changed to Platinum!

Nevertheless, I really appreciate all of the good advice and insights on this thread.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Actually, I learned that my anniversary date was this week-- not mid-November. Much to my surprise and delight, the nights posted today and my status has changed to Platinum!
Oh, that's excellent, congratulations! I guess I'll still go visit my relatives for the holidays...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.