Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

So close to Platinum: Need strategy to cross the finish line

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So close to Platinum: Need strategy to cross the finish line

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:30 am
Original Poster

5 nights at a Ritz gives you 10 nights as Ritz nights count double.
Interesting, since two of my nights this past year were at the Ritz Palm Desert. They were only counted as single nights. I don't look forward to haggling with Marriott on the phone, but am willing if it gets me two nights closer. Can anybody please point me to the part of the Marriott site that spells this out. My searches came up empty.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Tit, LTP;Omni Black;IHG Spire; Hyatt Glob
Double Elite Night Credit
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by GrandOldTurkey
*Guests must be a member of The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® at the time of their stay. Stays must be at a participating Ritz-Carlton® property. For each eligible night, members will receive two Elite night credits. Nights spent while redeeming an award are eligible for one Elite night credit. Nights stayed at a Ritz-Carlton property as a member of the Marriott Rewards® program are not eligible for double Elite night credit. Members can review their current status by logging into their account.
Doesn't sound like an option anymore.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Tit, LTP;Omni Black;IHG Spire; Hyatt Glob
I called CSR in Aug. and she said it was still effective.

Worked for me in a stay in Sept.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:33 am

I'm going to piggy back on this question.

I also need 10 nights to make Plat by end of the year and will have to mattress run it. I expect it to be worth it is I have a bunch of very high dollar starriott stays on the books for next year. (st regis maldives, mystique santorini, ritz carlton abu dhabi, al maha dubai, grand bretegna athens... etc)

I happen to have a cat 1 hotel ~3 hours away that is only 6000 a night (so I could do 10 nights for 48,000 points) but I have to drive.

Do you guys think it would work to show up, check in, put DND on the door and leave?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RogerD408
*Guests must be a member of The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® at the time of their stay. Stays must be at a participating Ritz-Carlton® property. For each eligible night, members will receive two Elite night credits. Nights spent while redeeming an award are eligible for one Elite night credit. Nights stayed at a Ritz-Carlton property as a member of the Marriott Rewards® program are not eligible for double Elite night credit. Members can review their current status by logging into their account.
Doesn't sound like an option anymore.
It also sounds like it would not have applied to the OP, who seems to be have a legacy MR account rather than a RC account.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by Okto
Have you held a "meeting" yet? 10 nights right there...
That's what I was thinking. And on that subject, do we know if this first meeting = 10 nights is honored every year?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Old Hickory
That's what I was thinking. And on that subject, do we know if this first meeting = 10 nights is honored every year?

^ great call out! I'm guessing this would work beautifully for OP.

I'm making Plat via a status challenge so I will have to try and find out if this would count for that. I'm guessing not.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by tygran37
I'm going to piggy back on this question.

I also need 10 nights to make Plat by end of the year and will have to mattress run it. I expect it to be worth it is I have a bunch of very high dollar starriott stays on the books for next year. (st regis maldives, mystique santorini, ritz carlton abu dhabi, al maha dubai, grand bretegna athens... etc)

I happen to have a cat 1 hotel ~3 hours away that is only 6000 a night (so I could do 10 nights for 48,000 points) but I have to drive.

Do you guys think it would work to show up, check in, put DND on the door and leave?
Don't expect it to work for the full 10 nights. Many properties violate the DND so no advantage there. Expect at some point housekeeping will enter the room and if it appears no one has been there will report that to the front desk and you're likely to be checked out at that point. If you book a few weekends and do this showing up on Friday night for a three-night stay and repeat it a few times, then it might work out. I would suggest look into booking a meeting (if that's an option for you) and get your 10 nights in one, short event. Maybe do this at the property nearby and actually spend a night as well just to have a buffer in your nights.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Don't expect it to work for the full 10 nights. Many properties violate the DND so no advantage there. Expect at some point housekeeping will enter the room and if it appears no one has been there will report that to the front desk and you're likely to be checked out at that point. If you book a few weekends and do this showing up on Friday night for a three-night stay and repeat it a few times, then it might work out. I would suggest look into booking a meeting (if that's an option for you) and get your 10 nights in one, short event. Maybe do this at the property nearby and actually spend a night as well just to have a buffer in your nights.
Yeah I was kinda thinking this is probably the case sadly. Sucks cause the cheapest near me is 12,500 a night, there are no cat 1s around here.

If I did this on points I'd want to do 5 night stays (for 5th night free) but if it's close by I could pop over and toss a towel on the floor and mess up the bed or something a couple times.

I don't think a meeting is an option since I'm on a plat challenge but maybe...
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Expect at some point housekeeping will enter the room and if it appears no one has been there will report that to the front desk and you're likely to be checked out at that point.
I'd enjoy hearing whether that really happens from veteran mattress runners. One can argue that if you pay for a room and physically check in, the amount of time you spend that room is strictly your own business.

I personally would not go about it this way. But it would be interesting to hear from people who have tried it.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Texan4life
I'd enjoy hearing whether that really happens from veteran mattress runners. One can argue that if you pay for a room and physically check in, the amount of time you spend that room is strictly your own business.

I personally would not go about it this way. But it would be interesting to hear from people who have tried it.
I have reports of this happening. Plus some properties will insist upon doing a welfare check and inspect their room every few days. I can also see the property thinking they can rent the room AND collect on your reservation getting double revenue like they are likely to do with no shows and early check outs. They would have absolutely no issue if you were still using the room, but if you've vacated, it's fair game to rent again.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:13 am

If you do a 10 night mattress run you will likely be badly disappointed as being plat isn't all that great in my experience over the last 10 years.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
If you do a 10 night mattress run you will likely be badly disappointed as being plat isn't all that great in my experience over the last 10 years.
I think I have a somewhat realistic expectation for the benefit and I think in my case (a number of nights at high dollar/high category hotels next year) I will get more out of it costs me to achieve it.

As I said I need 10 nights. I can do that for ~$1000 or 100,000 points. I also have 2x SPG Lux Credits I can apply to this if I go the cash route so if I utilize the credits (which does mean I lose out on something else) I can do it for ~$400. The points route is @ 12,500 per night x 8. Unfortunately I do not have any cat 1 marriott anywhere all that close by (closest is ~3.5 hour drive @ 6,000 per night).

I have a 7 night stay next year at the St Regis Maldives. Just getting breakfast alone at this resort is worth what... $120 per day (for 2)? I believe there are supposed to further discounts that come with Plat on top of that. In addition I have stays at Mystique Santorini, Grand Bretagne Athens, Ritz Carlton Abu Dhabi, Al Maha Dubai and St Regis NYC all already booked next year.

I have to think I get my mattress run cost back with that lineup coming up for Plat.... would you disagree with that as a long term Plat?

Last edited by tygran37; Oct 22, 2018 at 12:15 pm
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

In addition I have stays at Mystique Santorini, Grand Bretagne Athens, Ritz Carlton Abu Dhabi, Al Maha Dubai and St Regis NYC all already booked next year.
I'm the OP-- I know you asked the question for @SacTownGuy but want to make sure you check this: I believe that Plats do not get lounge access or breakfast at Ritz Carltons (and possibly other high end properties you're planning to visit). Before the merger, Marriott Plats only had lounge access and breakfast at Marriotts (excluding resorts) JWs, Autographs, Renaissance, and Deltas.

You may want to verify which of the premium properties will offer these benefits and factor that into your mattress run cost/benefit calculation.

From the Marriott website:
Lounge Access is not offered at the following brands: The Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, EDITION, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, Design Hotels, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Four Points, SpringHill Suites, Protea Hotels, Fairfield, AC Hotels, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites, Element, Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, and participating Vistana properties.

Last edited by Texan4life; Oct 22, 2018 at 12:48 pm Reason: New info found

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.