Club lounge bill and gratuity

Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
That is obnoxious. I can assure you that in such cases, I would simply reduce my tip by 3 percentage points.
Yeah, I'd be inclined to agree. I also don't really see the point of it. If you just included it in the price, the extra 3% in meal costs on the menu is barely going to be noticeable. What is the point of adding is a separate charge onto the check. Do they think it makes them look good for paying for their staff's health insurance? I think it makes them look a bit tacky so opposite effect. I have seen it at 3-4 places now.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
In some places separating out a tax is a way for the restaurant to complain about it. Like "your tab is 3% higher because of this tax", as in, complain about it to city hall and maybe they'll drop the tax. It's pure BS, but I saw it a few times when ACA requirements were kicking in and restaurants had to start providing medical insurance.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I've not seen this at any Marriott lounges, so not sure it's widespread.

Cheers.
Perhaps with your travel pattern, but not mine.

The JW Marriott Santa Fe, Mexico City sure does and the Marriott Reforma Mexico City also tries.

If the staff really make an effort, then I would leave at cash token of my appreciation. Being handed a zero bill in a self-service lounge is tacky IMHO.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If it's a zero bill and you tip 15-20%, that's zero. I'd be tempted to explicitly show that calculation on the thing I sign for them.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
The next time I drop a buck in the tip jar by the cash register at a local fast food place, I'll reconsider if I'll tip at a lounge. Seeing as I've never remotely considered dropping my change in a cash register tip jar, I don't anticipate it happening anytime soon.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:42 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Yeah, I'd be inclined to agree. I also don't really see the point of it. If you just included it in the price, the extra 3% in meal costs on the menu is barely going to be noticeable. What is the point of adding is a separate charge onto the check. Do they think it makes them look good for paying for their staff's health insurance? I think it makes them look a bit tacky so opposite effect. I have seen it at 3-4 places now.
do you think it makes you look good to micromanage your tip and deduct money from the waiter for things beyond his control?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:44 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If it's a zero bill and you tip 15-20%, that's zero. I'd be tempted to explicitly show that calculation on the thing I sign for them.
"tempted to" implying that your actual action in this situation would be what?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:12 am

Something else to consider is there are a growing number of hotels who now levy a non negotiable 'service charge' for service. So effectively we are paying once for the hotel where we can reasonably expect the hotel's service included in the base rate, twice when they add the compulsory service charge at the booking stage and a third time again with tips when you get to the hotel. That's three times you have paid for the same item.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Lizie
Something else to consider is there are a growing number of hotels who now levy a non negotiable 'service charge' for service. So effectively we are paying once for the hotel where we can reasonably expect the hotel's service included in the base rate, twice when they add the compulsory service charge at the booking stage and a third time again with tips when you get to the hotel. That's three times you have paid for the same item.
Mandatory service charge = tip. No additional tipping required.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:54 am
pvn
Suspended

THere's absolutely no guarantee that a mandatory service charge goes to the waitstaff/service employee. Unless it's clearly labeled as a gratuity, I would assume that it does NOT go to the service staff until told otherwise.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by pvn
THere's absolutely no guarantee that a mandatory service charge goes to the waitstaff/service employee. Unless it's clearly labeled as a gratuity, I would assume that it does NOT go to the service staff until told otherwise.
You are correct, however this doesnt change my action. If I see service anything as a line item, I consider that my payment for the service, in lieu of a tip. I dont care where my payment goes - I only care that I have paid it.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davie355

You are correct, however this doesnt change my action. If I see service anything as a line item, I consider that my payment for the service, in lieu of a tip. I dont care where my payment goes - I only care that I have paid it.
I agree and I would add that how the service fee is used is an internal decision by management. If employees aren't getting money from the service fee, that is a matter between the employee and employer.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:08 am
pvn
Suspended

so if you KNEW that it wasn't a tip, you still wouldn't leave a tip? In other words, you guys are just a bunch of cheapskates looking for an excuse to stiff someone.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by supatight80
I mean is there a line for service charge and another line for gratuity too in restaurant bills in the USA?

Ex. Food - 100$
Service charge - 15$
Tax - 10$
Total: 125$
Tips: __________
I had dinner at a Renaissance restaurant recently, where there was both an included 20% service charge and a tip line. However, the bartender made a pointed remark that the service charge was included, as a hint that he would be perfectly fine if I zeroed out the tip line. I am more annoyed that the service charge is charged tax this way!
Lizie likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by pvn
not my problem

I always put [tip] in parenth beside that line item

problem solved at least for me

the staff can take it up with mgt if they want too

although I do think there should be a disclosure what this fee is for prior to ordering [whether on the menu, on the wall, somewhere]
IndyHoosier likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.