Club lounge bill and gratuity

Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Nope, many larger cities have "service charges" in other terms. Employee health fund (that, as the SF Chronicle found out, often doesn't go to the employees), I got hit with a "The 2.25% surcharge on your check represents our commitment to providing an award winning work environment" that I don't know even what it means! (Urban Farmer, Portland OR)

Oh yeah, and for those non-Americans, restaurants will be happy to take a tip even if they already charged a service charge. Make sure you look carefully. I've never had a waiter run out after me when I mistakenly put in gratuity even after the surcharge.
I find it amusing when some restaurants in LA list on their menu : "we charge a 3% surcharge on the check to allow us to pay for our employee's Health Insurance". Why not say " and we charge another 10% on top to pay for power, 5% to pay for trash, 20% to pay for cleaning". Passing on individual business costs directly to the customer seems silly but I guess they want to show that they treat their staff well.
supatight80 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by catocony
The waiter in the restaurant is getting paid $2.19 an hour to bring you your beverages and pick up some plates. The lounge attendant is making at least minimum wage ($7.25 an hour) but usually more, plus whatever tips they happen to get.
OK so the logic is that since the waiter works in a restaurant where many people do pay for their meal(even if your breakfast is free/included), they are expected to rely on tips to earn a decent wage. Whereas in a lounge, nobody is usually paying for individual items in there, so they need to be paid a normal hourly wage to make up for the fact that they will probably get few/no tips.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Enigma368
OK so the logic is that since the waiter works in a restaurant where many people do pay for their meal(even if your breakfast is free/included), they are expected to rely on tips to earn a decent wage. Whereas in a lounge, nobody is usually paying for individual items in there, so they need to be paid a normal hourly wage to make up for the fact that they will probably get few/no tips.
exactly. This is an annoying practice and I it would great to hear from some of the Lurkers here if this is a new 'enhancement' and honestly, what Marriott corporate is otherwise doing about this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
I just write “Nil” on the gratuity line & move on.

If I receive exceptional service then I’ll tip the individual in cash
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Yes, that is the US system. Basically waiters are paid by customers in the form of tips, not by the restaurant in the form of hourly wages. Lounge attendants aren't waiters. Tipping a lounge attendant is similar to tipping the cleaning staff, it's an extra that some customers tip and some don't. It really is a bonus, whereas with waiters, normal 15-20% tips aren't a bonus. That's their paycheck.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by catocony
Yes, that is the US system. Basically waiters are paid by customers in the form of tips, not by the restaurant in the form of hourly wages. Lounge attendants aren't waiters. Tipping a lounge attendant is similar to tipping the cleaning staff, it's an extra that some customers tip and some don't. It really is a bonus, whereas with waiters, normal 15-20% tips aren't a bonus. That's their paycheck.
Be careful about generalizing for the USA. In some places now, there's a quite generous minimum wage law and in some of these places, tipped employees get the same minimum wage as those in occupations that aren't tipped. In other places, the applicable minimum wage is much lower and tips count toward the amount that must be paid (with a $1 tip, assuming it's reported, reducing the wage by $1 for example).
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Is tipping in lounges something we are supposed to do now
Only if you want to. I never have and never will.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA
Originally Posted by fairhsa
I've had to sign one of these once. I'm not American so I had no idea it was supposed to be about tipping. I just signed it. No tip. No comeback (that I noticed anyway). I just assumed it was for their admin of who was using the lounge.
Exactly the same here - never dreamed it was for a tip, just assumed an admin thing. I've had to do this at several lounges.

I'm not sure why people are getting so worked up about it - just sign it, and ignore it.
mcgahat and fairhsa like this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Flapster
Exactly the same here - never dreamed it was for a tip, just assumed an admin thing. I've had to do this at several lounges.

I'm not sure why people are getting so worked up about it - just sign it, and ignore it.
Because lounge access usually requires giving room number on entry or having a key card that gives access - therefore there really isn't much reason for any further info/signature.

I've been in hotels that require signature for breakfast - even when free BUT they clearly state it is for accounting only and there is usually not even a line for a tip!
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I find it amusing when some restaurants in LA list on their menu : "we charge a 3% surcharge on the check to allow us to pay for our employee's Health Insurance". Why not say " and we charge another 10% on top to pay for power, 5% to pay for trash, 20% to pay for cleaning". Passing on individual business costs directly to the customer seems silly but I guess they want to show that they treat their staff well.
I don't know how old you are but back around 2001 ish hotels started charging energy surcharges to pay for higher electric costs [I don't remember why this happened though] but talk about an uproar. Eventually IIRC, there were some challenges to this process and it went away. Others may remember more about it than I do.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
It's been some time since I've stayed at the Westin River North, but I used to stay there a lot and I can assure you that they've done this for years.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
That is obnoxious. I can assure you that in such cases, I would simply reduce my tip by 3 percentage points.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott, SPG
Happens at some sheratons too. I rip it up and leave it on the table so they have to clean it 😂😂 whoever tips at buffet lounges with no service is either a rich person or an idiot with no backbone
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:19 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
lol at getting mad about this and double lol at anyone who would actually change a booking based on this. Is it "tacky"? Sure, I can see that argument. But so what?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:20 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by JinSda
Happens at some sheratons too. I rip it up and leave it on the table so they have to clean it 😂😂 whoever tips at buffet lounges with no service is either a rich person or an idiot with no backbone
You passive-aggressively make a mess on purpose and don't tip the person who has to clean it up? Whoever does that is either a sociopath or a jerk with no backbone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.