Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club lounge bill and gratuity

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OTOH if it discourages lounge use by those who don't legitimately have lounge access, this could be a good thing. If someone doesn't have a room with lounge access and isn't eligible to use the lounge due to elite status, having them sign the "bill" to the room and then be billed the "guest" charge or more IMO would be a good thing.

I've certainly been annoyed at times when a large group pays for one clue level room and then they hold the door open so that twenty or thirty of their friends can take over the lounge, of course instantly picking it clean and often moving furniture and leaving a mess when they finally leave.
Maybe a little bit, but if you're already scummy enough to be stealing breakfast, then what's to stop you from entering fake info and a fake room #?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
I don't believe it did pre-merger.
it does years before the merger
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by supatight80
I don't go to the USA. But in many areas of the world, the restaurant bill also has service charge added, usually 10 - 15%. Do you guys have the too?

And do you give tips on top of the S.C. already added to the bill?
Some restaurants will add a gratuity if it's more than 6-8 people in the party. The bill will clearly state this, and I believe it's also usually printed in the menu.

For people from non-tip countries, it's not so much that waiters are paid little by the restaurant, but that food prices are quite a bit cheaper because of tipping. It's not the worst system, as it does generally lead to better wait service. It certainly leads to lower menu prices.

For me, anywhere in the US, I generally tip 20% on the pre-tax amount. If you tip with the tax, then 15-18% is fine. Taxes are not a service charge but a tax from the state and/or local governments. It's variable even within a given state, with most towns and cities having a meals tax on top of state sales taxes.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by catocony
Some restaurants will add a gratuity if it's more than 6-8 people in the party. The bill will clearly state this, and I believe it's also usually printed in the menu.

For people from non-tip countries, it's not so much that waiters are paid little by the restaurant, but that food prices are quite a bit cheaper because of tipping. It's not the worst system, as it does generally lead to better wait service. It certainly leads to lower menu prices.

For me, anywhere in the US, I generally tip 20% on the pre-tax amount. If you tip with the tax, then 15-18% is fine. Taxes are not a service charge but a tax from the state and/or local governments. It's variable even within a given state, with most towns and cities having a meals tax on top of state sales taxes.
I absolutely disagree. Food prices are not cheaper because of tipping. Food prices in America are cheaper because food is cheaper. Where else do you have dollar menus for fast food?

In terms of better service, that is questionable. Better than in Europe (Paris is notorious) but better than southeast Asia? Where they smile at you too, and seem to mean it?
I find that better service depends on where you are. Portland service is pretty miserable, as is Alaska. But in California it is better. Because of tipping? No, because customers expect not to be waiting all day for their order to be taken and food delivered.

I very rarely find a meals tax on top of a sales tax. There are state taxes, and county taxes, and city taxes, all of which depend on where you are. Some places don't have sales tax on certain items (clothing, for example) but I cannot recall the last place in the US I've been where there was a literal meals tax. There is often a hotel tax, but not a meal tax.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)

I mean is there a line for service charge and another line for gratuity too in restaurant bills in the USA?

Ex. Food - 100$
Service charge - 15$
Tax - 10$
Total: 125$
Tips: __________
Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Saint4805
It's ridiculous to expect non-locals to research what waiting staff/lounge agents are paid before arriving in that country. Life would be so much easier if businesses increased prices by 15% or whatever, paid there staff more and allowed tipping to be discretionary based on the perceived level of service.
I agree, but it's not ridiculous to research tipping norms for services before visiting another country. I do it before every international trip I take, and I actually usually save some notes in my phone in case I forget the normal %. And you should tip based on the level of service. There are some people who feel like tips are a right, but they are earned...that's the basis of the system. But there are guidelines, at least in the US. You can always go outside the guidelines, or not tip at all for horrendous or offensive service.

I don't go to the USA. But in many areas of the world, the restaurant bill also has service charge added, usually 10 - 15%. Do you guys have the too?

And do you give tips on top of the S.C. already added to the bill?
Service charges, while typical in Europe, are rare in the US. Rare meaning maybe 1 out of every 1000 times. As an American, I get annoyed that I have to pay a 10% service charge in Europe for poor service. At least in the US it's optional. But again, when in Rome...

I mean is there a line for service charge and another line for gratuity too in restaurant bills in the USA?

Ex. Food - 100$
Service charge - 15$
Tax - 10$
Total: 125$
Tips: __________
There is not. You will see food, tax, and total lines with a blank line for tip. No service charge included.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:03 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs

I agree with SOS. I do not find that restaurants in the USA are cheaper than abroad. Nor do I think our service is better as a result of US practice.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
If you're getting breakfast in the restaurant, then I don't have an issue with getting the bill. It is a reminder to tip for the buffet, which, IMHO, is 10-15% since you're not really getting waiter service. But in a concierge lounge/club? I would be steamed for getting a "reminder bill" in there for anything at all. Breakfast or evening foods, it comes with the room as either part of the rate or is comped due to Marriott status.
I and I think most people here would agree with your statement, that tipping something to the server at the buffet breakfast is customary and appropriate(in the US) but that being asked or expected to tip in a lounge is not appropriate.

That said, from a logic point of view this does not make a lot of sense since the level of service is pretty similar in both situations(OK at breakfast you do get marginally more one to one service but really not much difference). Why is it insulting to be asked to tip in a buffet situation in a lounge but not insulting and in fact expected to be asked to tip in a buffet situation at breakfast? It just shows how sometimes there is not a huge amount of logic to a lot of tipping situations.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
So when you go to England you drive on the right side of the road?
You'd be breaking the law (not a local custom) by driving on the wrong side of the road.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
I agree, but it's not ridiculous to research tipping norms for services before visiting another country. I do it before every international trip I take, and I actually usually save some notes in my phone in case I forget the normal %. And you should tip based on the level of service. There are some people who feel like tips are a right, but they are earned...that's the basis of the system. But there are guidelines, at least in the US. You can always go outside the guidelines, or not tip at all for horrendous or offensive service.

Service charges, while typical in Europe, are rare in the US. Rare meaning maybe 1 out of every 1000 times. As an American, I get annoyed that I have to pay a 10% service charge in Europe for poor service. At least in the US it's optional. But again, when in Rome...

There is not. You will see food, tax, and total lines with a blank line for tip. No service charge included.

So if you were in a country that automatically adds 10-15% Service charge to your SPG/MR restaurant bill, do you Americans write an additional amount at the gratuity line?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:39 pm

Nope, many larger cities have "service charges" in other terms. Employee health fund (that, as the SF Chronicle found out, often doesn't go to the employees), I got hit with a "The 2.25% surcharge on your check represents our commitment to providing an award winning work environment" that I don't know even what it means! (Urban Farmer, Portland OR)

Oh yeah, and for those non-Americans, restaurants will be happy to take a tip even if they already charged a service charge. Make sure you look carefully. I've never had a waiter run out after me when I mistakenly put in gratuity even after the surcharge.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:42 pm

[QUOTE=s0ssos;30326086

I very rarely find a meals tax on top of a sales tax. There are state taxes, and county taxes, and city taxes, all of which depend on where you are. Some places don't have sales tax on certain items (clothing, for example) but I cannot recall the last place in the US I've been where there was a literal meals tax. There is often a hotel tax, but not a meal tax.[/QUOTE]

A local meals tax is lumped into the sales tax in most states. I have seen where the meals tax is separated out as well, but at least on the East Coast, all of the taxes are in one line.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Enigma368
That said, from a logic point of view this does not make a lot of sense since the level of service is pretty similar in both situations(OK at breakfast you do get marginally more one to one service but really not much difference). Why is it insulting to be asked to tip in a buffet situation in a lounge but not insulting and in fact expected to be asked to tip in a buffet situation at breakfast? It just shows how sometimes there is not a huge amount of logic to a lot of tipping situations.
The waiter in the restaurant is getting paid $2.19 an hour to bring you your beverages and pick up some plates. The lounge attendant is making at least minimum wage ($7.25 an hour) but usually more, plus whatever tips they happen to get.

Anyone who says that US restaurants aren't cheaper must not eat in Europe very often.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:47 pm

So if you were in a country that automatically adds 10-15% Service charge to your SPG/MR restaurant bill, do you Americans write an additional amount at the gratuity line?
I don't, but many Americans do since they're used to tipping 15-20% and don't know what the service charge is.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:54 pm

Service charges are not typical in Europe. Not at all. In the UK 12,5% discretionary gratuities are nowadays usually included in restaurant bills. This is clearly indicated in the menus, and one knows before hand what to expect.

Service charges are quite a misnomer as I believe that in Asia and ME — where they are very often added to every hotel, bar and restaurant bill — seldom go directly to the employees. They are a sort of resort fee charged for no specific service whatsoever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.