Club lounge bill and gratuity

Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by catocony
If you're getting breakfast in the restaurant, then I don't have an issue with getting the bill. It is a reminder to tip for the buffet, which, IMHO, is 10-15% since you're not really getting waiter service. But in a concierge lounge/club? I would be steamed for getting a "reminder bill" in there for anything at all. Breakfast or evening foods, it comes with the room as either part of the rate or is comped due to Marriott status.

Is this common across Westin properties? I cannot recall ever seeing a bill for a Marriott lounge/club, at any property in any country.
Tipping for a buffet depends on your definition of restaurant. In the typical sense, yes one should tip if the buffet is kept stocked or if someone is bringing you coffee, etc. But I'm not tipping when I eat in the breakfast area of a Springhill Suites, Fairfield, etc. Breakfast in a regular hotel restaurant, even if comped, should be tipped (in the US for those who will be argumentative) assuming there were no service issues.

I would only tip in a hotel lounge if one of the attendants went above and beyond to do something out of the ordinary for me. I can't even think of what that might be.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I've not seen this at any Marriott lounges, so not sure it's widespread.

Cheers.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by catocony
At least at Marriotts, lounge staff are not paid as waiters, which in most of the use is $2.19 or thereabouts an hour plus tips. Tips are not a big part of their income, unlike waiters.
Yeah, and I'd also be curious if any of the tip was being shared with those who prepared the food.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Tit, LTP;Omni Black;IHG Spire; Hyatt Glob
I have very rarely tipped at a Marriott or Hyatt lounge. I regularly tip at a Ritz lounge where the attendants have gone beyond the simple service aspects of their position. We often travel with my sister and BIL, so we can be large work load with before and after dinner requests. Examples include making mix drinks (try the different chocolate martinis at the the Ritz, Atlanta or the summer special sangria at the Ritz, Philadelphia), making dinner reservations, etc., obtaining bourbons or after dinner drinks that are outside of the regular stock. I tip at the end of our stay or if an attendant is off on that day, the last common day that he/she and we are in the lounge.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've certainly been annoyed at times when a large group pays for one clue level room and then they hold the door open so that twenty or thirty of their friends can take over the lounge, of course instantly picking it clean and often moving furniture and leaving a mess when they finally leave.
This was my experience at the Ritz Carlton in Chicago a year ago. I've since spoken with the GM and they have said they would be more vigilant about people who abuse it. I've been back once and the lounge was fairly tidy without hoards of people, but I don't know if that was due to general capacity of the hotel vs them cracking down.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:13 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I've never seen this in lounges in the legacy MAR properties I've been to. (Have yet to stay in a legacy SPG property with a lounge post 8/18 - was this a common practice before 8/18?).

When I have breakfast in the restaurant and it's complimentary, getting the bill makes sense to me (and I'll usually live a smaller tip if it's the buffet, larger tip if it's menu service). My only gripe is when I have breakfast in the restaurant and the voucher card says "gratuity included," and I'm still given the bill with the tip line and I'm never quite sure if I should add on a couple dollars tip or not.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Sitting the the Westin Chicago River North and was handed this. I've never seen this before and seems really tacky to me. Are the other properties that do this as well? I'm going to leave it as is..
Yes, I've seen this at several properties and agree that it is tacky. But only in USA/Canada.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
It would be lovely if the Brits learned to drive on the correct side of the road as well. But, the bottom line is that one can't change anything about local custom (or law). All one can do is ask oneself whether the local practice is so annoying that one forgoes travel to that location. That is certainly one's right.

But, deciding that one won't tip won't change local practice. It just means less income from those who depend on tips.

If everywhere in the world were the same, going to other places would not be as much fun as it is.
So when you go to England you drive on the right side of the road?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
So when you go to England you drive on the right side of the road?
I think he's saying if he goes to England, he drives on the left. If you really can't/don't want to drive on the left, you shouldn't go to England.

Non-Americans who complain about tipping in the US (and quite a few other countries that never get picked on for that matter) aren't going to change the custom simply by not tipping or complaining about it.

So in your example, if I go to England and drive on the right side of the road, who is wrong -- me or England? It's best to conform to the local laws, customs, traditions, etc. to the extent one is able.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
I think he's saying if he goes to England, he drives on the left. If you really can't/don't want to drive on the left, you shouldn't go to England.

Non-Americans who complain about tipping in the US (and quite a few other countries that never get picked on for that matter) aren't going to change the custom simply by not tipping or complaining about it.

So in your example, if I go to England and drive on the right side of the road, who is wrong -- me or England? It's best to conform to the local laws, customs, traditions, etc. to the extent one is able.
No, he said that English drive "incorrectly"
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by JBord

So in your example, if I go to England and drive on the right side of the road, who is wrong -- me or England?

That would be you
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
No, he said that English drive "incorrectly"
Context is your friend. I can't truly answer for another poster, but it's pretty clear to me that he's making the point that you may not agree with driving on the left side of the road, but it doesn't make sense for a visitor to England to try to change that by their actions. It's best to conform in that case. Same goes with tipping. Back on topic, in the US, it's customary to tip in a restaurant but not in a self-service lounge.

Originally Posted by Lizie
That would be you
Exactly.
kennycrudup and Lizie like this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
It's ridiculous to expect non-locals to research what waiting staff/lounge agents are paid before arriving in that country. Life would be so much easier if businesses increased prices by 15% or whatever, paid there staff more and allowed tipping to be discretionary based on the perceived level of service.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
I don't go to the USA. But in many areas of the world, the restaurant bill also has service charge added, usually 10 - 15%. Do you guys have the too?

And do you give tips on top of the S.C. already added to the bill?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

Many countries in Latin America/Asia charge a service charge on your room rate to cover tips to the employees. Does this property do so?
I don't believe it did pre-merger.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.