Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yosithezet
MODERATOR NOTE: While this thread exists for people to discuss the economics and merits of the Marriott strike, any discussion of the general merits of labor unions belongs in OMNI. Any posts which address other posters or characterise people using inflammatory language violates FlyerTalk Rules will be deleted without notice.

Contributions around the current atmosphere and service level at specific hotels can be found at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-starwood-ritz-carlton-new-consolidated-program/1916714-property-experiences-during-marriott-workers-strike-fall-2018-a-2.html
Print Wikipost

Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by stant
I never suggested that. I AM suggesting that anyone who has the gall to work a low skill job and then strike claiming 'one job should be enough' while asking for that level of compensation is 110% full of bull honkey. I am NOT happy that highly paid, low skilled workers are being paid a few more bucks just because the union has power - because those few bucks are going to come out of my back pocket. I have no problem with low skilled workers. I admit anyone who works hard. I do have a problem with people who have unrealistic expectations for compensation - ask how union negotiating power benefited anyone working for hostess....
The other issue is that this works as a disincentive for education. Many of us didn't have any more opportunity that those who are working as housekeepers -- we just used the opportunity differently. Considering the full cost of a housekeeper at the Kyo-ya properties in Hawaii is now around 100k considering pay, medical plan, and pension contributions, there will be plenty of kids who say why go to HCC or U of H when I can make more as a housekeeper.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
This isnt about hotels not paying market rates. didnt you read what the union rep said? more or less: "now other hotels will have to increase their wages too". This was about a special interest with a stranglehold on labor resources artificially inflating wages.
What that union official isn't telling you is that his salary pension etc plus money to fund his %$#%$@ comes out of each and every check one should look at the "check off" dues etc. And you wonder why many of the union pension funds are in the red deep red ?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by edgewood49
What that union official isn't telling you is that his salary pension etc plus money to fund his %$#%$@ comes out of each and every check one should look at the "check off" dues etc. And you wonder why many of the union pension funds are in the red deep red ?
.....and often those union dues are mandatory (or at least in some states 85% would be mandatory even if one is not a member of the union) and the union dues (or the 85% nonmember service charges) are assessed on the basis of the salary (presumably base and probably including overtime pay but not tips) of the unionized employees. When workers get a big raise, their union grows richer.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
.....and often those union dues are mandatory (or at least in some states 85% would be mandatory even if one is not a member of the union) and the union dues (or the 85% nonmember service charges) are assessed on the basis of the salary (presumably base and probably including overtime pay but not tips) of the unionized employees. When workers get a big raise, their union grows richer.

Correct and their feeding the kitty for the upper management of the Union
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
This isnt about hotels not paying market rates. didnt you read what the union rep said? more or less: "now other hotels will have to increase their wages too". This was about a special interest with a stranglehold on labor resources artificially inflating wages.
In many markets, non-union employees in hotels and resorts make as much or more than union labor in wages. The major difference is work rules and other limitations on how the hotel can staff the property. I'm not convinced that these labor agreements are going to increase wages any more than they would have increased anyway in these tight, urban labor markets. In many of these markets, housekeepers are extremely hard to come by to the point that some hotels are hiring salaried, housekeeping "managers" with full benefits, 401ks, etc and asking them to cover when employees on wages can't be found.

Again, I don't agree with the theatrics of the strike, but anyone saying that pretty standard annual pay increases for hotel employees in a tight labor market with reduced immigration, increasing hotel supply and other factors is "too much" or "artificial" isn't making much sense.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:31 am

Looks like the Union will attempt to bargain at 15 other hotels in Honolulu.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Again, I don't agree with the theatrics of the strike, but anyone saying that pretty standard annual pay increases for hotel employees in a tight labor market with reduced immigration, increasing hotel supply and other factors is "too much" or "artificial" isn't making much sense.
if the union guy just said 'now that we got marriot to pay more, other hotels will have to pay more too' then it IS artificial wage inflation, not the market rate, per the context of this discussion. hotels were paying the market rate BEFORE the strike.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by eccentricfusion
Looks like the Union will attempt to bargain at 15 other hotels in Honolulu.
That day has passed it's a done deal the rest will have to follow It's the old Big Three Auto strike plan get one to fall the others have to follow suit. Will be interesting to see all the consequences this new agreement brings. I promise you one thing their will be a reduction in over all staff employment not at first but slowly that's the way it worked in Europe.

SAD
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:55 pm

Meanwhile in San Francisco the strikers at the Palace are still making tons of noise. The strikers at the Courtyard seemed way less into it.

Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:38 pm

The Marquis of course remains a disaster

Old Dec 1, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
I stayed at the Hyatt over Thanksgiving to burn up my points and stay away from the Marriott while they were striking and they still managed to wake me up every morning at 7.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:03 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Of course, as an economist, I'm sure you're familiar with the free-rider issue. Since all workers benefit from the increase, all should support the efforts taken. While I do agree that Local 2 in SF is not keeping their expectations in check on the one job line (and I talked with a number of their members when I stayed at the Marriott Marquis Thanksgiving week,) it's like any other negotiation. If you don't want the housekeeping service during your stay, request the green option and make your own bed.
And on the issue of union heads making too much, let's see, Doug Parker of AA makes $11 million+ a year and the head of the Airline Pilots makes $700k+. Marriott's Arne Sorenson makes $13 million+ and doesn't have to clean the toilets in his rooms. Do you think that the head of Local 2 makes anywhere near that much? Income disparity has dramatically increased since the union busting efforts were once again initiated. Once again as in the 30's union organizer were being shot by police and private detectives hired by companies to keep their profits up and wages down.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by rbAA
Of course, as an economist, I'm sure you're familiar with the free-rider issue. Since all workers benefit from the increase, all should support the efforts taken. While I do agree that Local 2 in SF is not keeping their expectations in check on the one job line (and I talked with a number of their members when I stayed at the Marriott Marquis Thanksgiving week,) it's like any other negotiation. If you don't want the housekeeping service during your stay, request the green option and make your own bed.
And on the issue of union heads making too much, let's see, Doug Parker of AA makes $11 million+ a year and the head of the Airline Pilots makes $700k+. Marriott's Arne Sorenson makes $13 million+ and doesn't have to clean the toilets in his rooms. Do you think that the head of Local 2 makes anywhere near that much? Income disparity has dramatically increased since the union busting efforts were once again initiated. Once again as in the 30's union organizer were being shot by police and private detectives hired by companies to keep their profits up and wages down.
Ok what I would suggest you might do is actually find the President of the Local #2 TOTAL compensation then look up the internationals President's TOTAL package, Union's do a great job of masking total packages. The look at the average income of a Hawaiian then look at the final agreed amount by housekeepers and you tell me.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:13 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
And if you don't like the unions, what I suggest you do is stay in a non-union hotel and see if the service is any better.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by stc
And if you don't like the unions, what I suggest you do is stay in a non-union hotel and see if the service is any better.
Thats the same as saying if you don't like a union built work in a non union building. No Sorry that argument simply does not work here, it does work in very specialized areas such as electricians steel workers communications etc those are trained and specialized. And oh by the way I am a union contractor doesn't mean I can not criticize and speak up I am vocal within my union area so I talk the talk and walk the walk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.