Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yosithezet
MODERATOR NOTE: While this thread exists for people to discuss the economics and merits of the Marriott strike, any discussion of the general merits of labor unions belongs in OMNI. Any posts which address other posters or characterise people using inflammatory language violates FlyerTalk Rules will be deleted without notice.

Contributions around the current atmosphere and service level at specific hotels can be found at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-starwood-ritz-carlton-new-consolidated-program/1916714-property-experiences-during-marriott-workers-strike-fall-2018-a-2.html
Print Wikipost

Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:13 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Not to take sides in an increasingly bitter and shrill debate, but a main driver behind the Make a Green Choice is undoubtedly to reduce housekeeper hours (coming from someone who uses the program a lot). Housekeepers also have been switched to being assigned to rooms via app where they used to canvas floors, increasing efficiency. These changes do benefit customers, but they also increase profits.

In this environment I’m all for the two parties fighting it out for what they believe is right. I have no issue with Marriott or the union. It is what it is.
My thoughts on this is the hotels were already making tidy profits (see various articles like Boston Globe about this). Leave MAGC but guarantee the housekeepers the same number of hours as they had before. The hotels still save some money from less laundry and cleaning supplies. The housekeepers can use the extra time to do a better job cleaning the rooms that are cleaned or cleaning the common areas. The housekeepers aren't penalized.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:15 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
SPG was very focused on getting as many plastic bottles out of its properties as possible. I suppose there is reduced labor cost from having people put the bottles in the room but I hope Marriott will do something like the Hilton approach of only giving bottles upon request.

This is not a strike against every property that has a connection with Marriott. It only is for certain contracts with certain operators. As of now, its San Diego, Boston, San Francisco, and Hawaii so nothing in Baltimore that I've heard of.
And not even everything in Boston. The Waterfront Renaissance is on the safe list. They are not actively striking the Copley Marriott AFAICT. The Sheraton Commander is on the safe list but that is probably an old franchise with a separate contract.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
S

This is not a strike against every property that has a connection with Marriott. It only is for certain contracts with certain operators. As of now, its San Diego, Boston, San Francisco, and Hawaii so nothing in Baltimore that I've heard of.
Thanks

I didn't see this thread until after I posted in the other thread

But its good to know for me anyway, that its a limited scope strike and that I'm not looking to stay in those specific properties
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by GoPhils
I haven’t followed this too closely but I read the article about the Westin Book Cadillac in Detroit. It seems their main complaint is they want similar wages to those at the Renaissance a mile away. Doesn’t seem too unreasonable (and hey, with all the MR bashing can we point out that apparently a MR hotel was paying more than a former SPG one?)
IIRC, the Book Cadillac is in a not-so-great area of Detroit. The Renaissance is in a neighborhood I was willing to walk around in to get dinner. It seems reasonable to me that a higher-priced hotel in a better neighborhood pays its staff more, and as a result has better employees (or at least first pick of them).

Originally Posted by Segments
Suspect the union is trying to link MAGC to safety in terms of being able to prevent bad actors from using hotel rooms as a staging point for domestic terrorism. (think Vegas shooting). Indirectly creating an unsafe workplace if someone is stock piling guns, running a meth lab or human trafficking.

Personally I don’t think housekeeping is the right resource for this task.
If I'm doing something such that I don't want Housekeeping to enter my room, I'll tell them not to enter the room (leave the DND sign out all day). Does anybody really believe that not getting 500 points would deter a potential terrorist?

Last edited by yosithezet; Oct 17, 2018 at 12:17 am Reason: Merged
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:26 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Suspect the union is trying to link MAGC to safety in terms of being able to prevent bad actors from using hotel rooms as a staging point for domestic terrorism. (think Vegas shooting). Indirectly creating an unsafe workplace if someone is stock piling guns, running a meth lab or human trafficking.
Originally Posted by sethb
If I'm doing something such that I don't want Housekeeping to enter my room, I'll tell them not to enter the room (leave the DND sign out all day). Does anybody really believe that not getting 500 points would deter a potential terrorist?
The safety issues is around sexual harassment and assault of housekeeping staff.

Here is an example of what they are looking for. Chicago hotels roll out panic button systems to protect housekeepers from sexual harassment - Chicago Tribune
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by yosithezet
The safety issues is around sexual harassment and assault of housekeeping staff.

Here is an example of what they are looking for. Chicago hotels roll out panic button systems to protect housekeepers from sexual harassment - Chicago Tribune
How does MAGC and declining housekeeping promote/ encourage/ breed sexual harassment? Less interaction with housekeeping should reduce the opportunity for harassment/ assault.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:21 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV

How does MAGC and declining housekeeping promote/ encourage/ breed sexual harassment? Less interaction with housekeeping should reduce the opportunity for harassment/ assault.
No clue. I'm just saying that this is what they are talking about when they say 'safety'. I haven't seen anything that points to them talking about terrorism.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET

It doesn't. Just like MAGC isn't "dangerous," which is another one of their claims. I don't use MAGC because I mainly have one night stays but how is it more dangerous to change bedding and towels every three days under MAGC than to change towels and make a bed daily. It's just silly.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I think they are separate issues. One issue is safety in general and one is reduced hours and shifts relating to MAGC and other initiatives.

One article I read is that some staff in SF are being scheduled 3 hour shifts; this is only what I read, I do not have any firsthand information. To commute 1+ hour each way for a 3 hour shift (which is likely given the cost of living in San Francisco) is hard and almost not worth it. On the flip side, some complaints are towards the rollout of automation - which is an unstoppable force that unfortunately, the day to day staff aren't going to get much input in.

As everthing, there is a middle ground. I am currently in a Marriott in SF with a picket line outside thats been there for 2 weeks. Marriott service is not up to par, the staff protesting are not getting paid and convention season is in full swing. Hopefully a solution that meets in the middle for everyone comes soon.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JackE
Has it occurred to you that a lot of the guests who are impacted by goons beating drums at 6 a.m. are themselves trying to make a living? There is a difference between legitimate collective bargaining and harassing customers who have no dog in the fight.
We get it - at least I do. Typically this happens after standard collective bargaining has failed. 98% of the workers in SF voted to strike - which really caught me off guard.. usually there is some size of dissent. This was unanimous.. and given its going on 2 weeks, they aren't getting paid either. And yes, it sucks to have to deal with this as a consumer, it sucks to walk by people who feel this is a last resort late into the night and it sucks to see this continue for weeks on end.

The situation isn't ideal.. and hopefully it gets resolved soon. And I say all of this from a generally unsympathetic eye towards strikes - watched one too many ludicrous Air France strike happen; however reading some of the points here, there is some validity, especially with regards to short shift scheduling. Some claims aren't realistic too, so hopefully they hit the negotiating table hard soon.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
I saw a post somewhere yesterday where the safety issue was related purely to the fact that the workload for individual housekeepers increases when cleaning a room that hasn't been cleaned for a number of days. As someone who works in worksite safety I would say there is some merit in the argument but it's not a particularly strong argument. I know that here in Saskatchewan at least, Housekeepers are allocated a certain time per room and a dirtier room might require longer. Of course if management recognized this and allowed more time per room then the savings would be less. Mind you, given the reduction in points cost for legacy SPG MAGC perhaps that would be fair. ( tongue firmly in cheek)
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Interesting note in the news from one of the union threads ... One of their negotiating points is they feel they are losing union work because people are using apps to order food rather than using room service. They want hotels to take greater efforts to ban delivery services from going to guest rooms.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Interesting note in the news from one of the union threads ... One of their negotiating points is they feel they are losing union work because people are using apps to order food rather than using room service. They want hotels to take greater efforts to ban delivery services from going to guest rooms.
To the lobby or to the room door, a club sandwich @ $20 + 10%-20% service charge + sales tax + $5 delivery fee (I wish I were kidding) cannot compete with a large pizza for $15.95 + $3 tip or whatever.
TSparky and Adelphos like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by JackE
Has it occurred to you that a lot of the guests who are impacted by goons beating drums at 6 a.m. are themselves trying to make a living? There is a difference between legitimate collective bargaining and harassing customers who have no dog in the fight.
1) They're not goons. They are people who cook your food, clean your toilet, make your bed, empty your trash and pick up after you.

2) There is a picket line, which is legal. Individual customers can choose to cross the picket lines, just as employees can. If you find them loud, it's because you chose to sleep within earshot of their picket line.

3) Customers do have a dog in the fight. You're chosing to stay there, while the union is trying to stop you from staying there. Having chosen a side, you now have a dog in the fight.
jhartvu and OliverB like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by J S
No, I did not. Mostly because the picketers were not violating any law. They respected the noise curfews in Boston, did not threaten or harass (in the legal sense) anyone and respected all laws to the best of my knowledge.

Also, to be clear, even if someone has committed some petty crime (let's say they littered or did violate a noise ordinance--which I did not see any picketer do), that does not grant me the right to steel from them.
Not violating the law?

Boston limits noise at ANY time to 70 decibels (exception is permitted construction). Source: https://www.boston.gov/departments/e...s-noise-boston

70 decibels corresponds to the sound of a hair dryer. Source: https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=MNBMkL6f&id=736A204AFADB 6B161DD9DB91F75B76466423148D&thid=OIP.MNBMkL6fsjMS WY5SmQBKdwHaEh&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fwjdrums.file s.wordpress.com%2f2015%2f10%2fdba-chart-png.png&exph=762&expw=1248&q=decibel+level+chart&s imid=608016605563783553&selectedIndex=5&qpvt=decib el+level+chart&ajaxhist=0
C17PSGR likes this.

Last edited by JackE; Oct 21, 2018 at 2:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.