Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yosithezet
MODERATOR NOTE: While this thread exists for people to discuss the economics and merits of the Marriott strike, any discussion of the general merits of labor unions belongs in OMNI. Any posts which address other posters or characterise people using inflammatory language violates FlyerTalk Rules will be deleted without notice.

Contributions around the current atmosphere and service level at specific hotels can be found at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-starwood-ritz-carlton-new-consolidated-program/1916714-property-experiences-during-marriott-workers-strike-fall-2018-a-2.html
Print Wikipost

Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
What is the point of these strikes? Most of the employees are getting paid quite a bit especially if they've been around. Here in Honolulu local Starwood housekeepers make $22/hr *before* benefits (!) We have highly skilled workers that make less than that!

Does this have anything to do with the fact the union involved UNITE HERE is fairly rabid as far as unions go and this is some sort of national shill campaign? If there's anything I hated about unions when I was a member (before Janus, of course) is that it's most often not an honest arrangement where they're purely looking out for the interests of members. It's often some "social justice" ........, talking about how much the union bosses hate Jews and want to give money to terrorists, and all sorts of non-sensical virtue signaling that have nothing to do with the compensation and benefits of employees. And we wonder why these outdated labor cartels (often *unskilled* and easily replaceable labor, no less) are dying...
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
I haven’t followed this too closely but I read the article about the Westin Book Cadillac in Detroit. It seems their main complaint is they want similar wages to those at the Renaissance a mile away. Doesn’t seem too unreasonable (and hey, with all the MR bashing can we point out that apparently a MR hotel was paying more than a former SPG one?)
Old Oct 13, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Around 10 percent of Hotel employees are unionized but it's obviously concentrated in places like Vegas, New York, Hawaii, San Francisco, and Chicago. Not sure there is a list of merit-based hotel properties. In terms of unionized properties, here is a website that shows those properties although it is only a list of hotels that unite describes as Fair:

https://www.fairhotel.org/hotels-search/states
New questions to ask my Ambassador...

what is the union status of any hotel I’m considering booking? Monitor my bookings and advise of any anticipated union activity.

Marriott doesn’t want joint management complications with the unions (understandably) but it seems most of this is coming from legacy SPG properties. Thought someone would have conducted better due diligence regarding SPG franchise contracts before Marriott bought Starwood.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Segments

New questions to ask my Ambassador...

what is the union status of any hotel I’m considering booking? Monitor my bookings and advise of any anticipated union activity.

Marriott doesn’t want joint management complications with the unions (understandably) but it seems most of this is coming from legacy SPG properties. Thought someone would have conducted better due diligence regarding SPG franchise contracts before Marriott bought Starwood.
Keep in mind that some of these disputes aren't with Marriott. They are with the hotel operator. The union tries to get leverage and more attention by referencing Marriott which can generate more press coverage. For example, how much attention would they get if they announced they were striking with Kyo-ya, a hotel operator with five locations in Hawaii and one in San Francisco ....

Union contracts expire all the time although a union goal is to get many of them to expire at the same time, so that they can use it to apply more pressure.

Originally Posted by GoPhils
I haven’t followed this too closely but I read the article about the Westin Book Cadillac in Detroit. It seems their main complaint is they want similar wages to those at the Renaissance a mile away. Doesn’t seem too unreasonable (and hey, with all the MR bashing can we point out that apparently a MR hotel was paying more than a former SPG one?)
Maybe wages are the issue in Detroit but elsewhere the union has made it a major priority to control the innovation, i.e., automation and MAGC. One thing they complained about in an article is that SPG has at least one hotel testing a system that allows a guest to bypass the front desk entirely through OLCI.

Also, every article about this talks about "unsafe" working conditions because of MAGC. Seriously, how is it unsafe for a housekeeper because someone reuses their towels, doesn't have their bed made daily, etc.

It would be nice if these properties can get their service act together and be able to operate in an appropriate way through the strike. I don't want UNITE controlling innovation.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Where does it say the union want's to end MAGC bonuses and online checkin? It was my understanding that the hotel workers are asking for the properties earning record profits to share some of that by raising wages for the workers and using the MAGC as an example of why they are earning record profits.
I'm guessing if there is a downturn and properties lose money, the unions will not be screeching at guests at 6 a.m. to lower wages.

Record profits don't last forever. Union entitlement does.

Last edited by JackE; Oct 13, 2018 at 2:09 pm
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Keep in mind that some of these disputes aren't with Marriott. They are with the hotel operator. The union tries to get leverage and more attention by referencing Marriott which can generate more press coverage. For example, how much attention would they get if they announced they were striking with Kyo-ya, a hotel operator with five locations in Hawaii and one in San Francisco ....

It would be nice if these properties can get their service act together and be able to operate in an appropriate way through the strike. I don't want UNITE controlling innovation.
Understand and agree. My point is that Marriott contracts with franchisees and isn’t doing sufficient due diligence if these properties can’t operate in an appropriate way through the strike.

In vendor management standard questions are 1) are you unionized? 2) when is the contract renewal date 3) what is your relationship with the union (good/fair/poor, strong/weak), and ultimately 4) what is your business continuity plan during labor disputes?

Their responses should be documented during contract negotiations with the franchisee and enforced similarly to brand standards. If the franchise can’t reliably execute their business continuity plan or don’t have one in place, is this really someone Marriott wants to do business with?

As someone else mentioned, unionized properties tend to be in larger metro areas and therefore a higher risk among legacy SPG properties. Marriott M&A team should have looked at SPG boilerplate franchise agreements, policies on “exceptions” to the boilerplate and enforcement history regarding business continuity plan execution.

Old Oct 13, 2018, 3:15 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
If I were running a union strike i’d be making a link between bedbugs and MAGC, online check-in and low wages. As with any political campaign the truth is irreverent, but just maybe those running the strike might have found having Marriott’s consumers onside could have been useful in getting an upper hand in negotiations.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Ironic that some of the worst service I've ever had are in properties that are now striking?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 3:37 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
I'm confused about something. Various Marriott "Family" hotels in Boston are on Strike. But the Marriott Copley place does not seem to be. Also the following Marriott Family Hotels in Boston are listed on the FairHotels site:

Renaissance Boston Waterfront by Marriott
606 Congress St
Boston, MA 02210
617-338-4111
Website
Sheraton Commander (Cambridge)
16 Garden Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617) 547-4800
Website

Do these hotels have a different contract with the union? are non-union hotels? or what?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
If I were running a union strike i’d be making a link between bedbugs and MAGC, online check-in and low wages. As with any political campaign the truth is irreverent, but just maybe those running the strike might have found having Marriott’s consumers onside could have been useful in getting an upper hand in negotiations.
Except its pretty unlikely that those have any connection. I've seen a lot of griping on this forum about the change in daily MAGC points but haven't heard anyone of FT or elsewhere ever suggest a correlation between bedbugs and MAGC! As for online check-in, seems to me that higher wages make a more automated check-in process more attractive to the hotel. Obviously, the cost of automating certain functions is easier to justify as wages climb.

I suspect you might find that hotels that aren't unionized are cleaner because its easier to fire housekeepers when their rooms fail audits.

Originally Posted by stc
I'm confused about something. Various Marriott "Family" hotels in Boston are on Strike. But the Marriott Copley place does not seem to be. Also the following Marriott Family Hotels in Boston are listed on the FairHotels site:

Renaissance Boston Waterfront by Marriott
606 Congress St
Boston, MA 02210
617-338-4111
Website
Sheraton Commander (Cambridge)
16 Garden Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617) 547-4800
Website

Do these hotels have a different contract with the union? are non-union hotels? or what?
If they are listed on the union site, seems unlikely they are non-union hotels.

As for different contracts, unions have contracts with the operator of the hotel -- not the franchisor. Even if all of these hotels are managed by Marriott directly, they likely have contracts that expire at different times.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:10 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Except its pretty unlikely that those have any connection.
Well, probably not, but it's the better political message. It needs to be based in themes rather than fact. Unlike "we oppose automation because we wouldn't be needed".
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Well, probably not, but it's the better political message. It needs to be based in themes rather than fact. Unlike "we oppose automation because we wouldn't be needed".
That makes sense as a better message.

Hard to explain why MAGC is unsafe for housekeepers ... which is a big part of their message. We oppose innovation isn't particularly compelling either. Hoping these properties will get their act together and prepare for the long run. Unite must feel like the chanting and drums aren't getting what they want so they were doing sit ins at SF intersections this week so they could get arrested for publicity purposes.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Around 10 percent of Hotel employees are unionized but it's obviously concentrated in places like Vegas, New York, Hawaii, San Francisco, and Chicago. Not sure there is a list of merit-based hotel properties. In terms of unionized properties, here is a website that shows those properties although it is only a list of hotels that unite describes as Fair:

https://www.fairhotel.org/hotels-search/states
Thanks, bookmarked. It's useful, but not for the reasons they think.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
That makes sense as a better message.

Hard to explain why MAGC is unsafe for housekeepers ... .
I think the argument is probably something to the effect of because the room hadn’t been cleaned for days, they don’t know what to expect and thus there is the potential that the guest left the room a mess and thus has the potential to be “unsafe.” Probably not much more likely than a guest that was only there for a night but possIble I guess.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
Update:

1). I just walked by the Ritz-Carlton on my way to the Equinox gym in the building. There is a large crowd of picketers (they look like hacks from the union hall and not employees to me by the way). They are being very noisy and disruptive - using a megaphone, banging drums, etc. Despite a fairly well staffed picket line they were clearly expecting more - there are many, many signs sitting on the sidewalk in a stack with no one to hold them. I only saw one detail cop keeping a watchful eye. If you will be staying at one of the hotes
impacted be prepared to cross the picket line and be sure to try to get a room that does not face the picket line if you don’t want to listen to this.

2). The news reports are saying “Boston’s first hote
strike.” I didn’t go back to research this point but I don’t think it’s accurate. I seem to recall a strike in the late 70’s or 80’s.

I think that came very close to a strike but the hotels let themselves be bullied at the last minute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.