Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yosithezet
MODERATOR NOTE: While this thread exists for people to discuss the economics and merits of the Marriott strike, any discussion of the general merits of labor unions belongs in OMNI. Any posts which address other posters or characterise people using inflammatory language violates FlyerTalk Rules will be deleted without notice.

Contributions around the current atmosphere and service level at specific hotels can be found at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-starwood-ritz-carlton-new-consolidated-program/1916714-property-experiences-during-marriott-workers-strike-fall-2018-a-2.html
Print Wikipost

Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Around 10 percent of Hotel employees are unionized but it's obviously concentrated in places like Vegas, New York, Hawaii, San Francisco, and Chicago. Not sure there is a list of merit-based hotel properties. In terms of unionized properties, here is a website that shows those properties although it is only a list of hotels that unite describes as Fair:

https://www.fairhotel.org/hotels-search/states
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Wouldn't the 1000 points be the alternative for that?
By definition, the breakfasts are worth more than 1000 points to me if I chose them over 1000 points. (Cash value of the points is about $5, they're purchasable for $10. Two breakfasts cost more like $50.)
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by sethb
By definition, the breakfasts are worth more than 1000 points to me if I chose them over 1000 points. (Cash value of the points is about $5, they're purchasable for $10. Two breakfasts cost more like $50.)
I agree but ... there's a lot of discussion in another thread where some value the 1000 points per stay more than breakfast daily in a multi-day stay. In any event, the options are the 1000 points per stay or breakfast so that's the valuation at checkin and certainly reasonable to ask.

Are there any hotels that are handling this situation well?

Unfortunately, it looks like the goals of the union are contrary to the interests of frequent guest (they want the hotels to eliminate MAGC incentives, eliminate self-checkin, etc.) so I'd like to support the hotels if possible. Doesn't sound, however, like the ones on here have figured out effective ways to operate yet.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:30 am

Around 10 percent of Hotel employees are unionized but it's obviously concentrated in places like Vegas, New York, Hawaii, San Francisco, and Chicago. Not sure there is a list of merit-based hotel properties. In terms of unionized properties, here is a website that shows those properties although it is only a list of hotels that unite describes as Fair: https://www.fairhotel.org/hotels-search/states
Thank you for posting this. I'll now use it to see which hotels to AVOID when possible, ie: avoid hotels which feed these union thugs in normal non-protest times, when possible.

Unfortunately, it looks like the goals of the union are contrary to the interests of frequent guest (they want the hotels to eliminate MAGC incentives, eliminate self-checkin, etc.) so I'd like to support the hotels if possible. Doesn't sound, however, like the ones on here have figured out effective ways to operate yet.
The stated goals of the union are also contrary to their actions. Actions & demands such as theirs just push hoteliers to automate more, hire more skilled staff, and lay off more unskilled labor in the long-run.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by bdschobel
Let's not debate the pros and cons of unionization. It's an interesting topic, but we'll never settle the matter, and it's not very relevant to Marriott hotels, generally.

Bruce
Understood although the fact that the union is seeking to end MAGC bonuses and online checkin seems pretty relevant to Marriott hotels.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have the unions indicated how long they plan to stay on strike? Is it a few weeks or are they gonna stick it out until all/most of their demands are met? I don't want to cross a picket line so I'm wondering if I should make a back up booking at the Halekulani or Kahala for my December Royal Hawaiian stay before those hotels start jacking up their rates due to this strike. Marriott really owns a huge chunk of the Waikiki market, so it'll make it tough if they stay out for a long time.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Have the unions indicated how long they plan to stay on strike? Is it a few weeks or are they gonna stick it out until all/most of their demands are met? I don't want to cross a picket line so I'm wondering if I should make a back up booking at the Halekulani or Kahala for my December Royal Hawaiian stay before those hotels start jacking up their rates due to this strike. Marriott really owns a huge chunk of the Waikiki market, so it'll make it tough if they stay out for a long time.
The unions have said they are in this for the long haul and that they are demanding raises in "the dollars," as well as limitations on MAGC and online checkin. Marriott is silent.

All that being said, who knows? It's a tight economy which puts pressure on Kyo-ya (the operator of the legacy SPG properties in Waikiki) and union members have bills to pay.

This only impacts Kyo-ya properties and does not impact the Marriott Waikiki, the CY, or the Laylow.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Understood although the fact that the union is seeking to end MAGC bonuses and online checkin seems pretty relevant to Marriott hotels.
I didn't realize that these were part of the issue. As we've seen with Uber and Lyft disrupting the taxi industry, it becomes a difficult argument for existing workers to prevent technology improvements on customer experience, in the case of online check in, or customer choice/flexibility as it pertains to MAGC.

I wonder if the next step is to go to the Spirit Airlines model where room cleaning and towel replacement are extra (obviously not at the Ritz). I always thought that the MAGC was a good balance (at least at 500 SPG points) from the perspective of the hotel and the customer. I understand that it isn't great for the hourly employees, who require a certain volume of work.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the union opposes MAGC, I intend to avoid all properties in which this union is present.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Score8
I didn't realize that these were part of the issue. As we've seen with Uber and Lyft disrupting the taxi industry, it becomes a difficult argument for existing workers to prevent technology improvements on customer experience, in the case of online check in, or customer choice/flexibility as it pertains to MAGC.

I wonder if the next step is to go to the Spirit Airlines model where room cleaning and towel replacement are extra (obviously not at the Ritz). I always thought that the MAGC was a good balance (at least at 500 SPG points) from the perspective of the hotel and the customer. I understand that it isn't great for the hourly employees, who require a certain volume of work.
MAGC doesn't work for me because the vast majority of my stays are 1 nighters. That being said, MAGC doesn't have any impact on individual hourly employees. The reality is that few, if any hotels, are fully staffed on housekeeping staff so they all do more than planned. With turnover, a Marriott property will be able to use fewer housekeepers overall but its very unlikely any individual is impacted. On the other automation side, I believe there is a hotel using a robotic caddy.

But, if your business model is focused on members paying dues (such as UNITE), something that allows a Marriott to operate more efficiently which reduces the total number of employees, impacts your organization more than the individual employees.

And who knows if this is what they really care about or if they are just using it as leverage.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by marubill
I can understand MAGC, but how is online checking affecting Marriott workers, can't understand how is their hourly salary being affected?

In some of these properties (at least the Kyo-ya in Hawaii), the front desk is unionized. As such, online check-in theoretically reduces their workload or at least has the potential to do so.

It certainly doesn't impact hourly salary but overall could reduce staffing needs. Its not as if the hotel will lay people off since any staffing needs will be reduced over time but reduced staffing will certainly reduce the number of people paying dues to Unite.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
In some of these properties (at least the Kyo-ya in Hawaii), the front desk is unionized. As such, online check-in theoretically reduces their workload or at least has the potential to do so.

It certainly doesn't impact hourly salary but overall could reduce staffing needs. Its not as if the hotel will lay people off since any staffing needs will be reduced over time but reduced staffing will certainly reduce the number of people paying dues to Unite.
Strange. I’ve never found OLCI to reduce check in time. It just lets the property know what time you expect to arrive.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl

Strange. I’ve never found OLCI to reduce check in time. It just lets the property know what time you expect to arrive.

I agree generally but seems like there are some properties out there that have an expedited key pickup for those who have checked in on time.

Think about union of hotel stable hands worrying about a hotel opening a parking garage ... how will it impact them?

Or, in this case, what will the Marriott keyless app and OLCI mean five years from now? Perhaps nothing considering the ongoing IT problems But, if you're a union seeking to maximize the number of dues paying front desk clerks, you might try to stop change in its tracks.

And, sticking with impact on Marriott, a couple of legacy SPG properties have robots ...Unite has expressed specific concern about these and wants a "seat at the table" to discuss technological innovation as part of their demands.

Last edited by C17PSGR; Oct 11, 2018 at 8:25 pm
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the union opposes MAGC, I intend to avoid all properties in which this union is present.
Where does it say the union want's to end MAGC bonuses and online checkin? It was my understanding that the hotel workers are asking for the properties earning record profits to share some of that by raising wages for the workers and using the MAGC as an example of why they are earning record profits.
jhartvu likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Where does it say the union want's to end MAGC bonuses and online checkin? It was my understanding that the hotel workers are asking for the properties earning record profits to share some of that by raising wages for the workers and using the MAGC as an example of why they are earning record profits.
Straight from the union ...

"workers are fighting for improved workplace safety, particularly around unsafe workloads and strenuous physical labor created by the so-called “Green Choice” program, and pioneering job protections around technology and innovation in the hospitality industry"

https://unitehere.org/press-releases...ies-next-week/

They have lots of other comments floating around targeting MAGC, online check-in and other automation. This isn't only about money -- it's who controls technology and innovation. Since I know you're an SPG advocate, I would have thought you'd be concerned that UNITE is trying to stop many of the innovations that were driven by SPG ranging from MAGC, keyless entry, and robots providing speedy and efficient guest services.

I empathize with many of the hourly staff who work hard to support our stays but I don't want them to keep Marriott from innovating and drive up costs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.